The Food Thread

gs3

Where's the best cheeseburger in Greenville?

The last place my wife and I tried in Greenville was Red Robin. Okay burger, but I'm not a fan of "steak fries". Overall, we preferred Five Guys. But, I have to admit, the alcohol and burgers concept at Red Robin is kind of cool.

We still favor the old school cheeseburger plate half and half (cheeseburger, slaw, half an order of fries, and half an order of onion rings) from The Clock on White Horse Road.

I realize this does not fit with the haute cuisine posts in this thread :rolleyes:

Edited by cundvale

The last place my wife and I tried in Greenville was Red Robin. Okay burger, but I'm not a fan of "steak fries". Overall, we preferred Five Guys. But, I have to admit, the alcohol and burgers concept at Red Robin is kind of cool.

We still favor the old school cheeseburger plate half and half (cheeseburger, slaw, half an order of fries, and half an order of onion rings) from The Clock on White Horse Road.

i realize this does not fit with the haute cuisine posts in this thread :rolleyes:

If that is your kind of burger, you should definitely try Bee Bee's on Laurens Road.

I realize this does not fit with the haute cuisine posts in this thread :rolleyes:

For just a good old down and dirty burger, Tanners Big Orange is pretty great. Greasy but good. :)

For a bit of a gourmet burger, the Pimento Cheese Burger at Overlook Grille at Falls Park is outstanding. :thumbsup:

For just a good old down and dirty burger, Tanners Big Orange is pretty great. Greasy but good. :)

For a bit of a gourmet burger, the Pimento Cheese Burger at Overlook Grille at Falls Park is outstanding. :thumbsup:

I agree about Tanner's Big Orange, especially if you're looking for half & half to go with it. But the best kept secret is that Checker's Burgers are amazing. Best in town, I think, fast food or otherwise. Plus, their fries are terrific, too. If you want to go upscale, the Sliders at O are fantastic AND surprisingly inexpensive.

I agree about Tanner's Big Orange, especially if you're looking for half & half to go with it. But the best kept secret is that Checker's Burgers are amazing. Best in town, I think, fast food or otherwise. Plus, their fries are terrific, too. If you want to go upscale, the Sliders at O are fantastic AND surprisingly inexpensive.

I think that I would have to vote for the Northgate Soda Shop, on N. Main. They've got excellent burgers (they get their beef ground every morning at Parkersway on Rutherford) shakes, fries (cut and fried when you order them) and is the last soda fountain in Greenville. They also have lots of great Greenville pictures from the fifties, and lots of memoribilia.

Tanner's Big Orange and a bag of fried peanuts. :) That brings back some memories. Used to go to the Tanners on Main when I was a kid. You'd get your Big Orange in a megaphone looking contraption. It's still good stuff today and they have great ice. I wonder if there's any OJ in it today. ;)

Edited by cundvale

• 1 month later...

I think that I would have to vote for the Northgate Soda Shop, on N. Main. They've got excellent burgers (they get their beef ground every morning at Parkersway on Rutherford) shakes, fries (cut and fried when you order them) and is the last soda fountain in Greenville. They also have lots of great Greenville pictures from the fifties, and lots of memoribilia.

Great call, Mr Downtown - I took my family to Northgate Soda Shop today for lunch and we all enjoyed our burgers (great pimento cheese.) Our chocolate shake and fresh squeezed lemondade were both also excellent - as was the service. But what really impressed us was the feeling of authenticity about the place; we always make an effort to support local businesses vice chains, and this restaurant definitely makes that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see SC loosen laws on alcohol and allow high gravity beers. A good article from the GV News on the new beers that we can now enjoy (like the rest of the US). :rolleyes:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...E/70619039/1005

Finally, we can enjoy the fine Belgian beers here. I have been having them shipped in from a place called "Liquid Solutions" in Portland, OR. The shipping...OY!

Finally, we can enjoy the fine Belgian beers here. I have been having them shipped in from a place called "Liquid Solutions" in Portland, OR. The shipping...OY!

We are happy too about getting a better selection of imports now! :alc:

Wow, that name, "Liquid Solutions?" It sounds almost as bad as "Liquid Highway" over by the Fresh Market, yikes. (even though we prefer spending our money on local business, you just can't help but to cringe at the name for a coffee place.) :shok:

Edited by gvegascple

Some places have really picked up on it fast Whole Foods, Great Bay, and Barleys have great new selections, but Total Wine, World Market and Earth Fare don't seem to have anything new.

There are still lots of great things not available, its going to take time for the distributors to pick up the rights. Sill haven't seen the Dogfish Head Products available anywhere yet.

driving around at lunch i saw that Bruegger's Bagels will be taking over the old Salsarita's location on Augusta Rd...

Do we have any Bruegger's in Greenville yet, or will this be the first? There is one in Charleston near MUSC, just as you're coming in on Hwy. 17. I have had a bagel from there, and it was good.

Some places have really picked up on it fast Whole Foods, Great Bay, and Barleys have great new selections, but Total Wine, World Market and Earth Fare don't seem to have anything new.

There are still lots of great things not available, its going to take time for the distributors to pick up the rights. Sill haven't seen the Dogfish Head Products available anywhere yet.

Earth Fare has been stocking high gravity beers since they were approved.

The wife and I had a night out on the town, Saturday (for the first time since our boy was born). We dined at The Lazy Goat, overlooking the river. It is a nice, casual atmosphere, with all the wait staff wearing jeans and a Lazy Goat tshirt. The food is meant to be shared, so we did. We tried 4 different appetizers and all were amazing (the Moroccan Lamb being the favorite). For dinner, my wife had the fish (which was head-on, so it was smiling at me for a while), and I had the Tagliatelle. Both were very good. Drinks were strong and came quickly, just like I like 'em. I would give them high marks on everything including price. We escaped with <$100 before tip. IMO, they have hit another home run!

The wife and I had a night out on the town, Saturday (for the first time since our boy was born). We dined at The Lazy Goat, overlooking the river. It is a nice, casual atmosphere, with all the wait staff wearing jeans and a Lazy Goat tshirt. The food is meant to be shared, so we did. We tried 4 different appetizers and all were amazing (the Moroccan Lamb being the favorite). For dinner, my wife had the fish (which was head-on, so it was smiling at me for a while), and I had the Tagliatelle. Both were very good. Drinks were strong and came quickly, just like I like 'em. I would give them high marks on everything including price. We escaped with <$100 before tip. IMO, they have hit another home run!

I just checked out the menu, and it looks good (as well as reasonably priced, especially for their location on the river). I am somewhat surprised to hear that the staff is casually dressed in jeans and Lazy Goat t-shirts. I wasn't expecting formal attire, but assumed they would not be that casually dressed. Given this restaurant group's track record of success (Soby's, Restaurant O, etc.), I'm sure they know what they are doing. I look forward to trying this in the future.

Edited by Greenville

Agree with you 100% on The Lazy Goat. Soby and gang have another home run. Just got in from dinner there and it was excellent. Really great crowd for a Monday night and the fact you can park underground on a rainy night like tonight was perfect! Drinks were strong, our waiter (Clyde I think he said), was really great....friendly and fun. Have some friends in town his weekend and plan to go back. I'll be anxious for them to start opening for lunch as I could see hanging out here on a lazy Saturday afternoon. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great interior.

I wish a funky, fun resturant would open along the river that is AFFORDABLE! Get some average people going up and down the Riverwalk and diversify a little bit. Something unique and attractive like Mellow Mushroom that can be whatever kind of atmosphere you want it to be. Just thinking out loud here...

What are the plans for the bottom of the Terrace?

I was hoping Aussie Burgers would put up a shop somewhere along the river, but that obviously didn't happen.

A little Shed?! That constitutes as a sidewalk vendor right? Shoot add some tables and tie some floats on to the building to keep it around and open it up!