The Food Thread

gs3

I wish a funky, fun resturant would open along the river that is AFFORDABLE! Get some average people going up and down the Riverwalk and diversify a little bit. Something unique and attractive like Mellow Mushroom that can be whatever kind of atmosphere you want it to be. Just thinking out loud here...

What are the plans for the bottom of the Terrace?

Lazy Goat is pretty laid back and you can eat there in an affordable manner. It's the drinks and wine that add on the cost. The food is probably the most affordable yet for one of Soby's restaurants (except maybe the Side). :thumbsup:

Lazy Goat is pretty laid back and you can eat there in an affordable manner. It's the drinks and wine that add on the cost. The food is probably the most affordable yet for one of Soby's restaurants (except maybe the Side). :thumbsup:

Considering my age, maybe I can eat affordably there :silly:

We ate are Rio Grill the other night with friends. The servers were very attentive. Wine list was decent. Most of the meats were good, but there were a couple I should have passed on. Salad bar offered many choices. I was OK with the price, but it was on the verge of expensive. On the whole, it was nice, but didn't have that 'Gotta go back' feel. Something was missing, but I don't know what.

well since it our anniversary the wife and i went to High Cotton Sunday night for dinner. Now my wife is vegan...no meat of any kind, no dairy, nothing cooked in any kind of meat stock, almost to the point of not eating anything that will cast a shadow :lol: , so i called ahead to make sure they could accomodate her and they said it wouldn't be a problem, i still had a little doubt. So we headed out, got our table. After someone took our drink orders the server came up and made sure who we were, since it was noted in their system, and said he would talk to the chef to see what he could do. A few minutes later he returned and said that the chef will make as many courses as we wished to have to accomodate her needs and he asked if there was anything that she preferred to which she said "just let him do whatever he wants, surprise me." So later on our appetizers arrive and they gave her a nice plate of fresh, local and organic vegetables that was nicely prepared, so far everything is golden. Later on the main course arrived, apparenly the chef liked the idea of doing what ever he wanted, what arrived was a nice dish that was basically an aeromatic rice with grilled vegetable with thai spices, my wife was very pleased which in turn made me very pleased because if they would have just sent out a salad we both would have been pissed. So all in all it was a very pleasent experience and there willingness and achievement at meeting my wife's needs puts the place pretty high on the list of fine dining places we can go, also the service was pretty good and attentive and the drinks were pretty strong...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when Pomegranate will/has open(ed). My wife and I love Persian food and have even detoured through Atlanta to eat at Persepolis. This will be a huge welcome to the area. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I walked by last Thursday and it looks to be a long way from being open. There were a lot of workers there, though. The inside was gutted, so I'm sure the next step will be to rebuild it to the restaurant owner's satisfaction. I would hope that it will be open in a few months, but your guess is as good as mine.

Do we have any Bruegger's in Greenville yet, or will this be the first? There is one in Charleston near MUSC, just as you're coming in on Hwy. 17. I have had a bagel from there, and it was good.

Wasn't there a Breugger's behind Haywood mall back in the mid-90's? In that little strip area that used to house a Drug Emporium?

Schlotzsky's is looking at the Upstate as one of ten national focus markets and plans 10 new restaurants in the area. I had thought this chain had been retrenching and shrinking, so this expansion is kind of a shock. Good news though. Love their sandwiches. :thumbsup:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../707250356/1003

That is interesting. I also thought that they seemed to be shrinking, not growing. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Wasn't there a Breugger's behind Haywood mall back in the mid-90's? In that little strip area that used to house a Drug Emporium?

Yes, but it wasn't around too long. It probably didn't help that they would close by 3 o'clock, but then nothing much has done well in that little strip center.

Last Friday, I tried the Vietnamese restaurant on N. Pleasantburg, "Saigon." It was very, very good. The place is really clean and nicely decorated. Quite small, maybe ten tables? I had a bowl of Pho, but they have an extensive menu, lots of pictures for the unfamiliar. Not sure about the cross street, but it is right across the street from Taco Casa.

OK...somebody please explain to me why Chief's Wings and Firewater is always so busy!?!? It can't be the food. It can't be the decor (although they do have lots of nice LCD TVs everywhere). It can't possibly be the groovy 70's/80's music. I love the Little River Band, Styx, and Abba just like the next guy, but hey....there's a place for it and a wing restaurant isn't it. Granted, we did have the value-added entertainment of the two people in the booth behind me in the corner very loudly and very rudely making out throughout my entire meal (GET A ROOM!!!!!). That still doesn't explain to me why the place is always so crowded.

Needless to say, I took my wife and kids there for some wings for dinner yesterday. We caught a break because the parking lot wasn't as overflowing as it typically is. The parking situation would lead one to believe that they have very good food, right? WRONG. We ordered Southwestern Eggrolls as an appeitzer, a basket of fries, and a combo sampler (2 lbs. of wings split between 5 different flavors). The eggrolls were pretty good, but they were the typical frozen food dumped in a deep fryer and served up boiling hot. The fires didn't arrive until the end of the meal. The wings? I've had better wings at KFC. These at Cheif's were cold, absolutely slathered in sauces...some of them were just downright funky smelling/tasting. Unfortunately, we were wasteful Americans last night and left probably 1.5 lbs of wings uneaten.

I must beg for Wild Wing Cafe to forgive me this one indiscretion. I'll NEVER do it again. Wild Wing Cafe has my business from here on out when I'm in the mood for good buffalo wings.

:lol: Good post.

I agree with you about the food.

The only reason I go is for the large outdoor deck area and beer. It's also kind of fun to people watch (in a trainwreck kind of way).....lots of hookups going on....the couple that were in the booth behind you sounds pretty typical.

Edited by gsupstate

OK...somebody please explain to me why Chief's Wings and Firewater is always so busy!?!? It can't be the food. It can't be the decor (although they do have lots of nice LCD TVs everywhere). It can't possibly be the groovy 70's/80's music. I love the Little River Band, Styx, and Abba just like the next guy, but hey....there's a place for it and a wing restaurant isn't it. Granted, we did have the value-added entertainment of the two people in the booth behind me in the corner very loudly and very rudely making out throughout my entire meal (GET A ROOM!!!!!). That still doesn't explain to me why the place is always so crowded.

Needless to say, I took my wife and kids there for some wings for dinner yesterday. We caught a break because the parking lot wasn't as overflowing as it typically is. The parking situation would lead one to believe that they have very good food, right? WRONG. We ordered Southwestern Eggrolls as an appeitzer, a basket of fries, and a combo sampler (2 lbs. of wings split between 5 different flavors). The eggrolls were pretty good, but they were the typical frozen food dumped in a deep fryer and served up boiling hot. The fires didn't arrive until the end of the meal. The wings? I've had better wings at KFC. These at Cheif's were cold, absolutely slathered in sauces...some of them were just downright funky smelling/tasting. Unfortunately, we were wasteful Americans last night and left probably 1.5 lbs of wings uneaten.

I must beg for Wild Wing Cafe to forgive me this one indiscretion. I'll NEVER do it again. Wild Wing Cafe has my business from here on out when I'm in the mood for good buffalo wings.

Just curious, but why take kids to Chief's? Doesn't seem like the most kid friendly place. I think I went once there about 10 years ago. Sounds like it has improved a little bit.

Just curious, but why take kids to Chief's? Doesn't seem like the most kid friendly place. I think I went once there about 10 years ago. Sounds like it has improved a little bit.

Live and learn. We take them to Wild Wing Cafe all the time - no problems. It's a family-friendly atmosphere, especially now that it's smoke-free. We had assumed Chief's would be no different.

For the record, look at the 2nd page of their Greenville Menu.

"Chiefs is the place where families and friends gather for fun," is what is says on a pink "post-it-note" pinned to the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Any favorite meat, tea, and three restaurants in Greenville?

I can only speak for what is close by and I frequent but the Classic Cafe in Travelers Rest and the Big Clock of Berea seems to be pretty good. Also the Ham House in downtown Greenville near the corner of Stone and Rutherford is a favorite among many.

It's been a while since I have been there but I really dislike Gene's the only memories I have of Gene's is how greasy everything was and how I suffered heartburn afterwards. Needless to say it's been over 5 years since I have visited.

Edited by linkerjpatrick

• 3 weeks later...

Any favorite meat, tea, and three restaurants in Greenville?

The best place in Greenville, that I've found so far is Southern Fried Green Tomatoes behind the Haywood Mall across from the Verizon store. Everything seems to be freshly made.

I'm even recommending them after my last experience where I saw a sign that said they were 100% transfat free but they served me transfat margarine. It turned out to be a simple misunderstanding of what exact terms they were looking to _exclude_ when purchasing margarine.