The Food Thread

gs3

Looks like Azia is doing well for Peter. I've been there a few times, and the crowd is always large. To be suburban, this is really a good afterwork drink kind of place. :good:

How kid-friendly is Azia? That's been my biggest hesitation in going thus far - it looks enticing, but I'm not so sure it's a great place to take a two-year-old and a seven-year-old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have been meaning to post this for a couple of days. Thought this was cool. Very nice of Soby and his crew. Kudos to the Table 301 crew. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

From the Table 301 newsletter:

"Tomorrow evening, several of our team here at Sobys and our board of directors for Southern Exposure, now called Euphoria, a Southern Exposure Experience, will be in New York City on a media tour. We have media representatives from a variety of publications and programs attending the event and the goal is to sell them on visiting our area and learning what we all know to be true, that Greenville is an attractive, sophisticated, and metropolitan area and that our restaurants in this city can compete with the best cities in America. We have representatives from the food and wine, lifestyle and travel media attending.

During this media tour, we will share information about Greenville, the downtown and all there is to do, the surge of serious and high quality restaurants, the chefs, and the tourism element to events such as Euphoria, a Southern Exposure Experience."

• 3 weeks later...

The last time I went to Charlie's I wasn't impressed. Maybe it was a one time experience. I don't know, I haven't been back. Once the older generation that more or less grew up with Charlie's is gone, I wonder if Charlie's will stay in business? They could really use to update their building, both on the exterior and interior. Without changing somewhat, both physically and offering wise, with downtown's changes, I can't imagine too many places would manage to stay competitive.

The last time I went to Charlie's I wasn't impressed. Maybe it was a one time experience. I don't know, I haven't been back. Once the older generation that more or less grew up with Charlie's is gone, I wonder if Charlie's will stay in business? They could really use to update their building, both on the exterior and interior. Without changing somewhat, both physically and offering wise, with downtown's changes, I can't imagine too many places would manage to stay competitive.

It's always been busy when I have been there. And most of the folks there Saturday night were under 40, is my guess. Hard to argue with a locally owned establishment that has been around for 87 years. Good steaks, good prices, friendly staff too...

Edited by whitehourseview

It's always been busy when I have been there. And most of the folks there Saturday night were under 40, is my guess. Hard to argue with a locally owned establishment that has been around for 87 years. Good steaks, good prices, friendly staff too...

Charlies is one of those "in town" secrets. The dated decor is part of it's charm. It's like a secret place that everyone knows about! It's amazing how the place has stayed open over the years with very minimal advertising. Trendy and "hip to the scene" places have come and gone. A similiar spot but more upscale is the Open Hearth on Wade Hampton Blvd.

Can anyone name any more Greenville places that have been here practically forever and bucked the trends and conventional wisdom. The 8 o'clock while it doesn't have sit down eating is a popular spot for getting a good meat and three to go.

Charlies is one of those "in town" secrets. The dated decor is part of it's charm. It's like a secret place that everyone knows about! It's amazing how the place has stayed open over the years with very minimal advertising. Trendy and "hip to the scene" places have come and gone. A similiar spot but more upscale is the Open Hearth on Wade Hampton Blvd.

Can anyone name any more Greenville places that have been here practically forever and bucked the trends and conventional wisdom. The 8 o'clock while it doesn't have sit down eating is a popular spot for getting a good meat and three to go.

For about 20 years, from 85 to 05, you could have probably have run the state government based on on 8 o'clock client

I have never been to Charlie's, but would like to try it sometime simply because it's a Greenville institution.

I've never heard of The Open Hearth. Has it been here a long time?

• 3 weeks later...

I saw an ad a few weeks ago for a coffee shop / cafe (already with local stores I believe) that was planning to open a store embedded at North Greenville University in the fall. Can't remember the name now ... does anyone know the name of the place ?

Not sure specifically, but if it was where I'm thinking it was, that location seems to turn over regularly for some reason.

Bombay Bistro was owned by the India Palace people as a way to get into the Woodruff Road suburban restaurant scene. from what I understand, Saffron just trounced these guys on quality. The Woodruff location wasn't making the dollars. Tried Papa Chins.....not very good either.

I tried McBee Station's Mary Beth's today for the first time. We went for lunch and it was delicious! I couldn't pass up the opportunity for breakfast at noon, so I enjoyed their blueberry pancakes. And I must add that the service was phenominal. We talked to one of the partners of the restaurant and he said their breakfast crowd is growing every week and their lunch time crowd fills the entire restaurant during the weekdays (which includes over a hundred seats in the lower portion alone). He also explained that they're closed for dinner to offer event space for parties, etc and said they're already booking reservations for Christmas parties.

Based on the food, experience, and owner's comments, I think Mary Beth's is here to stay!

I tried McBee Station's Mary Beth's today for the first time. We went for lunch and it was delicious! I couldn't pass up the opportunity for breakfast at noon, so I enjoyed their blueberry pancakes. And I must add that the service was phenominal. We talked to one of the partners of the restaurant and he said their breakfast crowd is growing every week and their lunch time crowd fills the entire restaurant during the weekdays (which includes over a hundred seats in the lower portion alone). He also explained that they're closed for dinner to offer event space for parties, etc and said they're already booking reservations for Christmas parties.

Based on the food, experience, and owner's comments, I think Mary Beth's is here to stay!

Glad to hear that you liked it as well. It's a great addition to our downtown. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I had dinner last night at Rosalindas on North Pleasantberg and it was amazing! We were over from Spartanburg as we have been searching all around for authentic Mexican and had heard this place was the real deal per John Stevenson from the Greenville paper. It is the real deal! The gaucamole & pico de gallo are so fresh its insane. The margaritas are truly incredible as they must use a homeade mix. The entrees were great also and I could go on and on.

I had heard that they were going to open a location downtown. Did this ever materialize?

My wife and I had dinner last night at Rosalindas on North Pleasantberg and it was amazing! We were over from Spartanburg as we have been searching all around for authentic Mexican and had heard this place was the real deal per John Stevenson from the Greenville paper. It is the real deal! The gaucamole & pico de gallo are so fresh its insane. The margaritas are truly incredible as they must use a homeade mix. The entrees were great also and I could go on and on.

I had heard that they were going to open a location downtown. Did this ever materialize?

I rarely go to the North Pleasantburg area, but for good Mexican food, I might have to try it out! Where exactly is this place?

And, not to my knowledge does a place by this name exist downtown, but I don't know... I can only think of Cantiflas, Compadres, and Senor Wraps

Per a different part of this thread, a new place downtown near the Northgate soda shop was going to house "Carlos and Rosalindas" but I don't know if it ever went through.

As for Rosalindas, it is across from the back of Bob Jones Univ. I think the address is 1124 North Pleasantburg. It is behind where Jeff Lynch TV used to be. There are only about 12 tables that can seat about 30 people but on Friday at 7:30 there were 2 tables avalable. Go and you will not regret it.