The Food Thread

gs3

Just wanted to say that the reviews about Chipotle are spot on. It is a great place to eat, even when time is limited. The quality is definitely better than Salsarita's and Moe's, even though the style and type of food are equivalent. The guacamole is phenomenal and the salsa definitely tastes more fresh. The meat is marinated in a tasty, spicy sauce and grilled to perfection before being cut for the burritos and fajitas. The tortilla chips are great, with a hint of lime juice and sea salt sprinkled over top. Definitely a highly recommended place to eat a very satisfying large meal for under $15 per person (minus the alcoholic beverage). I dined there twice last week, once inside and once on the go. Service was great despite the large crowds. :thumbsup:

I had an AMAZING chicken burrito at Chipotle on Friday. (Skipped the chips, though.) MUCH better than Moe's, IMO. (Haven't eaten at Salsaritas recently enough to compare those two.) And how nice that you can eat in and have it with a beer if you like. :shades:

Several of you may have known about this place.....I didn't until today. Stumbled onto it. On Old Buncombe Road. Called the Tomato Vine. A fantastic farmers market and more. The building has multiple garage doors on all sides and all were open. Ceiling fans turning slowly. Along with every fresh fruit and vegetable you can think of, also ice cream, some canned goods, drinks, cheese, meat.....I found it to be a really fun place. And........the prices.....OUTSTANDING! I usually buy limes at Bloom or Publix, 2 for 88 cents. Picked up beautiful limes today at the Tomato Vine....5 (Five) for 99 cents!!!

They were really busy as well.....very diverse crowd, rich, middle class and poor....hispanic, Asian, white, black.....well dressed just from church and dirty dressed from working in yards. Great place....I'll be making a regular trip.

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

This looks interesting. Is the "e" on the end (Tomatoe) supposed to be a joke?

:lol: I thought this was a Dan Quayle franchise.

Seriously, not sure. It is owned by a family from Mexico, so they may explain the incorrect spelling? :dontknow:

Check it out though......the vibe didn't feel SC or U.S. It felt much more like a South American street market. Cool place. :thumbsup:

:lol: I thought this was a Dan Quayle franchise.

Seriously, not sure. It is owned by a family from Mexico, so they may explain the incorrect spelling? :dontknow:

Check it out though......the vibe didn't feel SC or U.S. It felt much more like a South American street market. Cool place. :thumbsup:

I thought about Dan Quayle and the "potatoe" incident when I saw this sign! :rofl:

In all seriousness, I do look forward to checking this out. It seems that plenty of people are aware of it, but I have never seen it until today.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Restaurant O still working on its reinvention? I definitely thought they would have opened back up for summer time with their new concept...

Forgive me if this has been reported but Guadalajara is now going where the Rising Roll was. Maybe this will help Dunkin' Donuts completed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greenville is pretty good about jumping on current trends. Wish someone would jump on the new hotdog trend and open a cool hotdog place.

http://www.chow.com/food_and_cooking/7829

I was in Columbus, OH today and checked out Dirty Franks with some friends. FANTASTIC! They've taken the hotdog to a whole new gastronomic level. I got the "Seoul Dog" topped with Kim Chee and it was out of this world! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Great adult (alcoholic) beverages and a kitschy attitude.....too fun. Vegan and vegetarian options. Gourmet hotdogs for your dog, if you have your hound in tow. Check out their menu. I could soooo see this kind of place in DT Greenville.

http://www.dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/menu/dfmenufood.pdf

Where is Sonrise.....he has been looking to open some type of unique food place.

• 2 weeks later...

A drink question.....

Looking for a place, other than Mexican restaurants, that has pitchers of Sangria. I know Lazy Goat has a white Sangria. Any other place you guys can think of? A quality Sangria with fruit floating on top?

I have a peer from Spain coming to town in a few weeks and this was his one request.

A drink question.....

Looking for a place, other than Mexican restaurants, that has pitchers of Sangria. I know Lazy Goat has a white Sangria. Any other place you guys can think of? A quality Sangria with fruit floating on top?

I have a peer from Spain coming to town in a few weeks and this was his one request.

I was going to recommend Rosalindas (the homemade sangria is GOOD), but since you aren't looking for a Mexican place I don't know where to recommend. Is Miami Spice Cafe on Wade Hampton Blvd. still around? If so, they probably have sangria (I don't know anything about the restaurant or the environment, but am assuming that the sangria would be authentic).

Cazbah and High Cotton both have sangria, but it's of the white wine variety. I don't know why it is so hard to find it with red wine.

Edited by Greenville

I was going to recommend Rosalindas (the homemade sangria is GOOD), but since you aren't looking for a Mexican place I don't know where to recommend. Is Miami Spice Cafe on Wade Hampton Blvd. still around? If so, they probably have sangria (I don't know anything about the restaurant or the environment, but am assuming that the sangria would be authentic).

Cazbah and High Cotton both have sangria, but it's of the white wine variety. I don't know why it is so hard to find it with red wine.

Thanks. Cazbah is a good suggestion. I'd love to take him to Rosie's place, but he has that Spanish (Spain) vs. Spanish (Mexico) attitude going on. :rolleyes:

Just noticed yesterday that Haus Edelweiss is closed on Wade Hampton after 25 years in business. Maybe it's been closed for a while, but I hadn't heard. Too bad.
LOL It has been closed for about a year now. There is a newer place on Pelham Road called, Schwaben House. Give them a try. I really loved the cozy atmosphere at Haus Edelweiss, but the location was its main weakness.

• 1 month later...

So my wife's 45th birthday is coming up and we want to get out of Spartanburg to celebrate. Whats good and kind of swanky in Greenville other than Sobys, Rick Irwins, & High Cotton?

Three of my favs:

The Lazy Goat (Tapas / Mediterraean food.....they make a killer white Sangria).

Devereaux's (Owned but Soby's Table 301 Group.....everything is good).

Pomegranate (Excellent Persian food).

Can never go wrong with Trattoria Giorgio for a romantic dinner. Only 10 or so tables, excellent Italian, quaint.