The Food Thread

gs3

Three of my favs:

The Lazy Goat (Tapas / Mediterraean food.....they make a killer white Sangria).

Devereaux's (Owned but Soby's Table 301 Group.....everything is good).

Pomegranate (Excellent Persian food).

Can never go wrong with Trattoria Giorgio for a romantic dinner. Only 10 or so tables, excellent Italian, quaint.

I agree with the above and have a few more to add: Davani's on Augusta (they have coupons on Restaurant.com),Brown Street Pub (great music and very good food), and Larkins on the River ( My wife and I had a great Anniversary Dinner on their outdoor patio recently)

Edited by gvegascple

I agree with Larkin's on the River. Great food and atmosphere in a perfect location.

For a uniquely romantic Italian dinner, as gsupstate recommended, definitely try Trattoria Giorgio. Or if you prefer, Ristorante Bergamo is another Italian staple on Main Street, directly above Coffee Underground.

Although not located in downtown, I would also recommend The Peppermill on Haywood Road and Orchard Park Drive.

For something a bit different, try Saskatoon on Haywood Road sometime.

Anybody know anything about Peter David's? Its been in Greenville 23 years but I have never heard of it.

Went once. The food was good but (and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way) it was very "old Greenville". Didn't seem very representative of the culinary scene that has bloomed in recent years in Greenville, IMHO.

In other good food news, Chef Gerard Cribbin, formerly of Gerard's Contemporary Italian Cuisine in Greer (one of my favorites) has found employment as "head chef" at The Palms Restaurant. Great news for any Upstate fans of Chef Gerard, even though I'm sure it isn't exactly where he would have preferred to be. I'll be giving him support wherever he goes. His family has found a home in the Upstate (Mauldin residents) and would love to remain here permanently despite being qualified to relocate anywhere he chooses.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville has another rising star in the Foodie scene. Victoria Moore of The Lazy Goat has been named one of the 4 rising stars nationally in the culinary scene by food critic John Mariani. She'll be featured in the October issue of Esquire Magazine. :good::good: Greenville's food scene continues the climb to regional and national prominence. :good:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/21236498/detail.html

http://www.eatinglv.com/2009/10/esquire-ma...urants-of-2009/

http://www.johnmariani.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a new restaurant in Greenville - and it is good! Check out Harry & Jean's next to Carrabbas on Woodruff Road (in the old Prime Sirloin space). http://www.harryandjeans.com/

They just opened their doors on Monday. The decor is upscale yet comfortable and the food is delicious and not over priced for the quality. There is a fireplace in the lounge surrounded by overstuffed chairs and sofas - a great place to relax and sip on a glass of wine and/or enjoy some calamari, a juicy steak, or some smothered flounder! They also have out of this world desserts. They offer private dining and have a nice bar, including an additional bar called the Honeyvine (opens after the holidays) that has its own wine list and will also offer microbrews. Harry & Jean's does not have their Sunday liquor license yet but are going to have a Sunday brunch (order off the menu, not buffet) from 11-3.

Edited by mandahewz

There is a new restaurant in Greenville - and it is good! Check out Harry & Jean's next to Carrabbas on Woodruff Road (in the old Prime Sirloin space). http://www.harryandjeans.com/

They just opened their doors on Monday. The decor is upscale yet comfortable and the food is delicious and not over priced for the quality. There is a fireplace in the lounge surrounded by overstuffed chairs and sofas - a great place to relax and sip on a glass of wine and/or enjoy some calamari, a juicy steak, or some smothered flounder! They also have out of this world desserts. They offer private dining and have a nice bar, including an additional bar called the Honeyvine (opens after the holidays) that has its own wine list and will also offer microbrews. Harry & Jean's does not have their Sunday liquor license yet but are going to have a Sunday brunch (order off the menu, not buffet) from 11-3.

Welcome to UP, mandahewz! I hope they do well!

Good luck! Hope you are successful! :D

Where did that come from? I drive by that location five days per week, and I've never noticed a 2nd restaurant/store.

:lol: This was the first time I had been by in a while. Next time you drive by though, notice a pad that has been staked out next to the Honeyvine. Looks like construction is about to start on something else.

laugh.gif This was the first time I had been by in a while. Next time you drive by though, notice a pad that has been staked out next to the Honeyvine. Looks like construction is about to start on something else.

The "pad" next to it will be used for a garden next to the restaurant and part of it will be offered to a future tenant....which I do not believe exists/has been named today.