The Food Thread

gs3

I'm late, but hadn't been around there...when did Bluefire Grill @ The Point close? I also noticed that the Asian? restaurant at the end of the Whole Foods shopping center had closed as well.

Bluefire has been closed for a few months now and Doc Chey's closed a few weeks ago due to excessive debt.

Well worth it. The food is good - the bartenders are friendly - the atmosphere is awesome!

Here's my critique on the place, as we went today for brunch. The interior is fantastic! Some serious money was spent on this place. While not my style (as I'm contemporary), I very much appreciated the conservative interior as it was done so well, and had great detail. A fireplace in the middle of the bar area. A beautiful dark wood bar. Over-stuffed, comfy chairs and sofas in the bar area....great for sitting and chatting over a few drinks. The dining areas are in mutiple rooms....feels like a solid upscale home.....lots of lamps.....wonderful curved banquettes.....lots of heavy ceiling moldings.......very nice. About the food, here is the rub. Our typical Sundays are conversation over several bloodies or mimosa's with brunch......the restaurant does not have a Sunday liquor license.....they can sell drinks Monday through Saturday, but not on Sunday. Once we were seated, I noticed most everyone had tea, so I immediately asked. The hostess explained no Sunday license. While I'm sure the food is great, this was a deal breaker for us. We politely thanked her for seating us, but said we would pass. We left and went to The Green Room. We will be back, as I want to try the food and the place does look impressive, however, no Sunday liquor sales, IMO, is sadly a dealbreaker. We'll go on weeknights when we can get drinks and stay true to Mary Beths or Green Room for laid back Sunday brunch.

Edited by gsupstate

Here's my critique on the place, as we went today for brunch. The interior is fantastic! Some serious money was spent on this place. While not my style (as I'm contemporary), I very much appreciated the conservative interior as it was done so well, and had great detail. A fireplace in the middle of the bar area. A beautiful dark wood bar. Over-stuffed, comfy chairs and sofas in the bar area....great for sitting and chatting over a few drinks. The dining areas are in mutiple rooms....feels like a solid upscale home.....lots of lamps.....wonderful curved banquettes.....lots of heavy ceiling moldings.......very nice. About the food, here is the rub. Our typical Sundays are conversation over several bloodies or mimosa's with brunch......the restaurant does not have a Sunday liquor license.....they can sell drinks Monday through Saturday, but not on Sunday. Once we were seated, I noticed most everyone had tea, so I immediately asked. The hostess explained no Sunday license. While I'm sure the food is great, this was a deal breaker for us. We politely thanked her for seating us, but said we would pass. We left and went to The Green Room. We will be back, as I want to try the food and the place does look impressive, however, no Sunday liquor sales, IMO, is sadly a dealbreaker. We'll go on weeknights when we can get drinks and stay true to Mary Beths or Green Room for laid back Sunday brunch.

How frustrating! The exact same thing happened to me in Charleston today while at a local place for brunch. I ordered a mimosa, and our server said, "We don't have mimosas on Sunday." This, despite the fact that mimosas are listed on the brunch menu he gave us. Weird. The food was great, though.

[/still not over it]

Back on topic, I would like to try Harry & Jean's. It sounds like a neat place that will do well in Greenville, but they definitely need to get their Sunday liquor license.

Edited by Greenville

How frustrating! The exact same thing happened to me in Charleston today while at a local place for brunch. I ordered a mimosa, and our server said, "We don't have mimosas on Sunday." This, despite the fact that mimosas are listed on the brunch menu he gave us. Weird. The food was great, though.

[/still not over it]

Back on topic, I would like to try Harry & Jean's. It sounds like a neat place that will do well in Greenville, but they definitely need to get their Sunday liquor license.

Yes - not having an $80,000.00 per year Sunday liquor license is too bad - for many businesses. Completely understandable that will sway your Sunday brunch decision. (Whole Foods finally got their Sunday LL a while back, however now you cannot drink at the pizza/food bar as some kind of trade off.) It would be nice to see Greenville County as a whole get away from that ban on Sunday beer and liquor sales.

gsupstate, if your style is contemporary you should check out the Honeyvine which is attached to H&J. You might like it. The bar front is cork, the tasting room has contemporary tables, and the lighting is contemporary. Their specialty is an extensive wine list and a small selection of microbrews. Just remember that for now, you can only go there Monday thru Saturday. :)

^ I thought Harry & Jeans was inside the city limits of Greenville, which would mean there is not a ban on Sunday liquor sales. The lack of liquor sales on Sunday was a huge disappointment, but I will be back on a weeknight.

As for the interior, I loved it. Solid feel, great detail. Again, though I lean contemporary, I really appreciate traditional when it is done well....this place pulled it off well. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

^ I thought Harry & Jeans was inside the city limits of Greenville, which would mean there is not a ban on Sunday liquor sales. The lack of liquor sales on Sunday was a huge disappointment, but I will be back on a weeknight.

As for the interior, I loved it. Solid feel, great detail. Again, though I lean contemporary, I really appreciate traditional when it is done well....this place pulled it off well. :thumbsup:

I do not believe the area from Kentron Ct to Green Heron Road has ever been within the city limits, with th exception of Carabas. I believe it was annexed by using a strip from the Southwest to bring it into the city limits.

I do not believe the area from Kentron Ct to Green Heron Road has ever been within the city limits, with th exception of Carabas. I believe it was annexed by using a strip from the Southwest to bring it into the city limits.

Thanks for this. After reading your post, I looked at a Greenville map and this area of Woodruff is full of non-city holes.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/GIS/maps/pdfs/MajorStreets.pdf

My wife and I went to Harry and Jeans tonight. It was fantastic. The decor is fabulous. We talked about it having the feeling of a "Frank Sinatra, 40's feeling". I agree with the observation of someone else on this thread that some serious money was spent on that place. The service was excellent. I had the stuffed flounder, topped with medium sized grilled shrimp and lump crab meat. My wife had the grilled chicken. We both loved our meals. The place was packed at 5:30. We will go back. I can honestly say this is a unique restaurant. I cannot recall another one like it in this area. I highly recommend a visit if you have not been.

• 2 weeks later...

Dined with a close friend at Harry & Jean's this evening and have a few comments to share...

The interior design is roomy yet cozy. Overall, I'd call it classy on a fairly simplistic level with a tinge of very subdued elegance. The atmosphere was pleasant, despite the fact that the restaurant was crowded with patrons and staff.

The service was great. Our waitress was always around, but rarely seen until we needed her. She was courteous, outgoing, intelligent, and represented the company quite satisfactorily while fulfilling her duties. Needless to say, she was generously rewarded.

Fortunately the food quality was on par with the atmosphere and service, because the portions were half the expected size for the price. At $28, each delicious entrée was served with a single side item (plus a single piece of Norwegian cornbread), neither of which were adequately portioned in relation to the total cost. My stomach was barely satisfied and had plenty of room to expand. We reviewed the dessert menu (which seemed good) before deciding to head back downtown for the remainder of our evening together.

The report card on this place from tonight's experience:

Design and Atmosphere = B+

Service = A

Food Quality = B+

Price and Quantity = E-

Overall Satisfaction = 6.5/10

• 4 weeks later...

They have the best sushi we have had in Greenville....but honestly, I am surprised they have hung around as long as they have. They are never busy from what I can tell.

we went again Saturday night around 8:30 and there was only one other table of people. but again the food was fantastic. I believe they would do very well in a more visible location.

I went to the new Papa's and Beer Mexican restaurant on Haywood Road yesterday for lunch. Both of the meals I tried (mine plus my dining companion's) were very good, better than the average standard Mexican fare I've had around town. The people working there were very enthusiastic about the new location (they have restaurants in Asheville and Hendersonville) and I can see them doing well. Best of all, lunch was very affordable. I'd recommend giving them a try.

Where are they located on Haywood?

It's about a mile south of the mall, on the right side of the street if you're heading south on Haywood. It's a sizable space - I'm too new in town to know what it was before, but our server thought it had been a steakhouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I dined at Nantucket Seafood Grill this evening and cannot adequately describe how amazing the experience was. The food and service were impeccable. The restaurant design and atmosphere are easily among the highest in quality. Try the "Cherrystone" clam appetizer. The crab cakes are unreal, with large chunks of delicious crab meat. I give this place the best grade possible and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way, I may be dreaming about those clams for a long while.

One of the waiters mentioned that the seafood is very fresh, delivered within 24 to 48 hours of harvest.

The bar is top notch as well. :)

I dined at Nantucket Seafood Grill this evening and cannot adequately describe how amazing the experience was. The food and service were impeccable. The restaurant design and atmosphere are easily among the highest in quality. Try the "Cherrystone" clam appetizer. The crab cakes are unreal, with large chunks of delicious crab meat. I give this place the best grade possible and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way, I may be dreaming about those clams for a long while.

One of the waiters mentioned that the seafood is very fresh, delivered within 24 to 48 hours of harvest.

The bar is top notch as well. :)

I am not surprised to see a top notch effort from Rick Erwin. He has proven himself with Rick Erwin's West End Grille, and Nantucket sounds like another winner as well based on the reviews I have heard. I look forward to trying it! :thumbsup:

Have reservations this coming Thursday evening at Nantucket...taking clients....can't wait. Have only heard positive reviews so far. :thumbsup:

On another restaurant note, was out by the location Addy will be opening his Biergarten (it actually had a soft opening this past week to work out details and out door landscaping continues). Looks like it will have a great sense of humor and be a fun hangout kind of place.

IMG_8666.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...