The Food Thread

gs3

Thank you for the suggestion. We attempted to go there but after being seated for nearly ten minutes, having three different servers think we were in their section, being told they were only serving from the brunch menu even though the lunch menu was posted in the window (this was 3:30 by the way), being told they no longer had the special that was still posted at the hostess station, and then when i asked for a current draft menu I was directed to the giant chalk board that was all the way across the restaurant we happily went somewhere else. Really!?! I am to walk to a chalk board to figure out what I want and then come back to the table to order? It looks like an interesting concept, an upscale gastropub, and I'm guessing the food is pretty good. Shame we just didn't make it that far

We walked over to Brio only to find them closed. Walked around the corner to a sandwich place called something steamers. They had closed thirty minutes prior. By that point we were pretty starving and settled for Carolina Ale House since it was close. Didn't quite hit the spot but it filled out stomachs.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Interesting choice of location. Restaurants tend to cluster together, and they aren't doing that with this location. 

I think it's a great choice IMO with all the apartments going up close by on Stone and the new apartment development on the old highway dept property at Laurens/Pleasantburg. I could see that whole stretch becoming a very trendy area in the future. Back in the late 80's there were several popular restaurants in that stretch near the LEC and "The Punch Line" Comedy Club was there too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've noticed something at restaurants in the area recently that is unexpected - tables are not full at times I would expect them to be full.   This is not just at my favorite restaurants, but most restaurants, both downtown and nearby.  The point was driven home last weekend when the Upstate was still hosting guests from the coastal areas - at 7:00 Saturday night, a large restaurant ran out of Prime Rib.   They said they mis-estimated the amount needed.   They weren't expecting a full house on a Saturday!

While restaurants are busy during special events and weekends, I wonder if the market is nearing saturation at the moment?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 11:07 PM, Jet-set said:

Shame. Sounded like a lot of work went into that place. It's a little too far off the beaten path though, at least for now. 

The first pub there sounded like a terrible idea if I remember correctly, an Irish pub but it looked more like a restaurant than a pub and served authentic Irish food.  If that was what they ended up going with it sounded like the last two things if not the exact opposite ones that people went to an Irish pub for.  Hey lets mix TGIFridays with corned beef and cabbage!