The Food Thread

gs3

That sounds reassuring! :thumbsup:

I'll be on the lookout for one of those days! :w00t: I hope the scoopers have short memories for the last suggestion. :whistling:

Totally unrelated question, but has anyone tried El Matador on Wade Hampton? I've wondered about it for years but for whatever reason have never made the decision to eat there.

My wife and I ate there last fall. The food was alright, but didn't strike me as particularly authentic- of course, I'm from Knoxville, so what do I know about authentic Tex-Mex cuisine? I did like the atmosphere of the place. Very homey. It felt like eating at your crazy aunt's house, the one who likes to collect torreador lamps and statuettes of cowboys riding buckin' broncs.

My wife and I ate there last fall. The food was alright, but didn't strike me as particularly authentic- of course, I'm from Knoxville, so what do I know about authentic Tex-Mex cuisine? I did like the atmosphere of the place. Very homey. It felt like eating at your crazy aunt's house, the one who likes to collect torreador lamps and statuettes of cowboys riding buckin' broncs.

Welcome aboard, sleepypossum! Hope to hear more from you. :D

The wife and I had a few drinks and appetizers at the Sophisticated Palate last night , one of our favorite places. Great low key atmosphere, Jazz and now smoke free. The Sophisticated Palate has been downtown for 15 years and is owned and run by a local couple. Great place for a romantic night- give a try. :thumbsup:

I went to O-cha tea bar yesterday, and it is a very interesting place. My friend and I tried the bubble tea - she had mango, I had peach. I have never had anything like it, but it was a unique experience. The place is decorated with very modern furniture and abstract art. The view will be a lot better once Young Fashions is torn down and something more aesthetically pleasing is put there.

Some things that have made my mouth happy since I've been in the Greenopolis:

*Coffee from Carolina Roasters (always makes me jittery, but I don't care)

*Cue from Henry's Smokehouse

*2 bites of my wife's meatball from Addy's

*Hummus and falafel pita from Pita House

*Pimento cheeseburger and BIG orange drink from Tanner's Big Orange

*Jerk pork from Island Blend on Main Street

*Spicy Basil Chicken from Sweet Basil Thai on Pelham

*Scones and make-you-want-to-kick-yourself ham & cheese croissants and Rocky Creek Bakehouse

*Pho from Pho Noodlevile and Pho #1

*Chicken souvlaki from Olive Tree

*Pizza from Frodo's

*Salami, cappicola, and cheese from Sub Station

And a special thanks and God bless to Swad, India Palace, Delhi Palace, Tava- you people are doing God's work.

I love Greenville. Never let anyone tell you that our city is lacking when it comes to good places to eat.

Still looking for the perfect Mexican place, though.

I love Greenville. Never let anyone tell you that our city is lacking when it comes to good places to eat.

Still looking for the perfect Mexican place, though.

Well, it's not in the area normally discussed on this board but, IMHO( :rofl: ) Anita's in Simpsonville is my favorite Mexican eatery in the upstate. It just kinda sucks that it's all the way over there.

As Skyliner says above, Rosalinda's is THE BEST Mexican food ever! Everything is fresh. It's more of a Mexican bistro. For the Margarita's, they squeeze limes on the spot for the juice, instead of that tacky green mix other places use. Avocado's are sliced fresh for entrees. The cheese dip has Chipotle in it. Most foods are simply grilled or prepared fresh, and AREN'T covered in cheese to hide the flavor. It's simply basic, fresh home cooking. :thumbsup:

The interior has none of the typical Mexican garb either. Instead it has has multiple quirky little chandeliers where each bulb has a shade....and all the shades are slightly askew. Curtains. Mismatched chairs. It's adorable.

And talk to Carlos when you go. He's the owner (well his mom really owns it, but he runs it). Nicest guy around! A great host! :D

Another nice feature, he has live music on weekends and I believe Tuesdays and Thursday. Again, this isn't typical Mexican. Instead it's more lounge music. Singers doing great Ella Fitzgerald numbers, jazz, some new age, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

Check this place out, you won't be sorry! Word of note though, it isn't as cost effective as the typical Mexican restaurant. My partner and I can usually eat at a typical Mexican place and with multiple alcoholic drinks each, pay around 30 total. Same amount of food and drinks at Rosalindas and you're looking around 55 or 60 total.

:lol: Crazy Aunt, huh? I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for sharing that, sleepypossum, and sorry for my delayed reply.

Rosalinda's will be added to my list to try, too!

Edited by hiker_nc

I had dinner at Lemongrass tonight, and once again my experience was outstanding. The food, service, and atmosphere were all excellent, just as they always are. I have yet to have better Thai food than what is found at Lemongrass. :thumbsup:

You might want to try Bangkok Thai on Pelham Road. I prefer it to Lemongrass, which is very, very good. Bangkok has a bigger menu, a cool atmosphere (they have a section where you sit on the floor) and the food is really good.

Also, try the Thai place on Augusta/Mauldin Road. I think it is Royal Thai. They have the best yellow curry in the Upstate, but everything else is somewhat average.

You might want to try Bangkok Thai on Pelham Road. I prefer it to Lemongrass, which is very, very good. Bangkok has a bigger menu, a cool atmosphere (they have a section where you sit on the floor) and the food is really good.

Also, try the Thai place on Augusta/Mauldin Road. I think it is Royal Thai. They have the best yellow curry in the Upstate, but everything else is somewhat average.

Guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again ... for my money, nothing beats Thaicoon Ricefire on Poinsett Highway just south of Furman (University Square Shopping Center).

I'll have to put a plug in for the Jamiacan place on Main Street. The atmosphere isn't great (cheap tables, chairs, etc), but the food is great. I recommend the jerk pork, jerk chicken or curry chicken.

Located next to Sophisticated Palate on Main, near McBee.

Edit: SleepyPossum correctly identified this place as Island Blend about 10 post ago. Oops.

Edited by EDPro

Another fabulous Mexican restaurant is Rosalinda's Fonda on Pleasantburg Drive, behind Little Caesar's. I have it on good authority from actual Mexicans that this is the most authentic Mexican restaurant in Greenville. Who knows for sure? But it is very good at any rate. :thumbsup:

I need to give Rosalinda's another shot. The very first time we ate there, for lunch, I loved the place. Unfortunately, a subsequent visit, at dinnertime, was disappointing. It may have been an off night for the restaurant, or I may have ordered the wrong item off the menu. It does seem that the establishment has a devoted following, and I have been wrong about such things in the past...

• 3 weeks later...

My father was wondering if anyone on the boards had an opinion on a good restraunt at which "strolling violinist"(one who goes from table to table and plays music) would be welcome. Somewhere with the right ambiance for that sort of thing. Thanks in advance.

I can't remember the name of it off hand, but there's a nice little Italian place over off of Stone Avenue near Wade Hampton.