Anderson University

GSP Tiger

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

There is a rumor running around Anderson that AU is trying to or has purchased the Anderson County Fair Grounds with the intenet of expanding the school. I'm wondering if there are any insiders that can shed some light on the issue.

I think this transaction would be great for that area of the city. If you look at how the housing across from the college has been cleaned up and turned around, one could assume the same would happen further down the Boulevard. Now, lets see if this rumor is true!

If it is true, it is a win-win situation. Anderson University has another site where it can expand its academic and athletic offerings. The immediate area can continue to reclaim itself as a college/historic district.

The Anderson County Fair can relocate to the Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex. This gives hosted events more space, modernized facilities, and better accessiblity from well traveled busy routes (i.e. Clemson Boulevard).

• 5 months later...

Anderson Univeristy receives 125 acres of land

Anderson University President Evans Whitaker said a local couple has donated 125 acres to the university, nearly doubling the campus's size.

The land is on Williamston Road and is owned by John and Marie Pracht. It is adjacent to the Anderson County Fair and Expo Center.

Roughly 40 acres of the 125 to be donated are wetlands, school officials said. The school covers 68 acres currently.

"It is quiet literally the most important gift of real estate contiguous to the campus since the founders gave the original 30 campus acres in 1910," Whitaker said.

No definite plans are in place yet regarding how the school will use the land, officials said.

-------------------

This is certainly good news for the school, now, lets see how it gets developed..... Maybe a couple of 10 story dormitories! Hey, a man can wish, can't he?

Anderson U has always been a polite player in Anderson. It contributes but doesn't really drive much. I wonder what would happen if it doubled in size and became well-known not just locally but nationally as a quality school in a large southern town? I think it could make a major contribution to the community.

• 1 month later...

It is official now..... Anderson University will purchase the fair grounds.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/n...n-county-fairg/

The Henderson Auditorium at Anderson University was packed again on Monday - just months after the last announcement of a land gift of 125 acres.

This time the announcement was about land as well. Anderson University President Evans Whitaker told the university's staff and students that the board of trustees has agreed to purchase the Anderson County Fair and Expo Center. The news put to rest months of talk about whether the trustees were moving any closer to striking a deal with the Strates Shows, which has owned the fair facility since 1982.

With the two land deals, the university has added nearly 200 acres to what was a landlocked campus.

The purchase nearly quadruples the size of the campus, Whitaker said, making the university 271 acres.

Whitaker said the trustees envision the additional land being used for recreational, practice and playing fields including a new soccer field, our own baseball facility, a decent home for our wrestling program, the revival of our equestrian program, a driving range, a track, a field house, and buildings for various athletic, recreational, and possibly academic purposes.

"I am delighted to be able to tell you officially that by the middle of next semester, with the cooperation of Mr. James Strates and his family who own this property, Anderson University

Archived