Blogs

voyager12

I love reading Orangepolitics.org from Orange County NC. It runs the gamut from deveopment issues to social concerns. I wonder if such a site could be successful in Charlotte. I am not sure it would be because we lack the high level educational institutions that make the Triangle area progressive and concerned about such issues.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urbanplanet has certainly educated me and its been a pleasure reading from many people who contribute to the site. I know a lot more about whats beyond my backyard than i did a year ago. Good way to also learn about South Carolina since im a new resident of the state and will be attending a four year school somewhere down there as well in about a year and a half. North Carolina on the other hand will always be my home :D

I knew UP was started in Charlotte. I think many people in this area are concerned and interested in a great future for the area. I was just pointing that I enjoy reading Orangepolitics.org. Mostly because I have friends in the Triangle area and visit there often. Charlotte is more business focused which is not a negative, it just lends to a less active political culture here because we don't have as many universities.

.... Charlotte is more business focused which is not a negative, it just lends to a less active political culture here because we don't have as many universities.

Maybe you need to be more specific about this as I don't think politics here is any less active than anywhere else in the state.

I meant that having a large number of large and influential universities encourages a more progressive and active political dialogue which spawns local blogs like orangepolitics.org. This part of the state has traditionally been more conservative dominated but I can see that changing.

I meant that having a large number of large and influential universities encourages a more progressive and active political dialogue which spawns local blogs like orangepolitics.org. This part of the state has traditionally been more conservative dominated but I can see that changing.

I think that is quite a jump myself when you consider that Mecklenburg has 5X the number of people that actually vote than Orange Cnty. In shear #'s you will find more progressive people here in Meck, than anywhere else in the state.

For example, we have afterall taking on the difficult decisions here needed to built a mass transit system whereas the system in RDU has failed, and the people in Orange county didn't even want the train to come there. (lest it bring in bad elements) Hardly progressive from an Urban sense if you ask me.

Archived