SBD Partners "Mystery" Condo Tower

49er

Nothing in the papers yet, but there is a deal in the works to bring a condo tower to downtown Raleigh that may reach 20 or more floors in height. Look for it to be in the core of downtown, not in the glenwood south area or other peripheral areas. Thats all I can say now, just a teaser, but hopeful the developers will be ready to release it to the N&O in the near future.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is awesome news! Can't wait too hear more about this project. I am a huge fan of DT Raleigh. But it seems so many people are against any thing new in DT. I heard the other day in the N&O about a poll where most people were discounting DT Raleigh as dead and that their is no reason to help it out because its too late :( . I for one am totally opposite. I would love to see DT take some of the spot light from younger sister Charlotte. I hope more people stand up for DT Raleigh and hope bring projects like this to light...Raleigh deserves a great DT.

But it seems so many people are against any thing new in DT.  I heard the other day in the N&O about a poll where most people were discounting DT Raleigh as dead and that their is no reason to help it out because its too late

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is because the vast majority of Raleigh's population is encompassed by the suburbs, and these people, of course, are going to discount DT Raleigh as "dead" and undesirable because it's not even where they want to be in the first place. I often wonder what these people envision as appropriate downtown land uses. Maybe a walmart here or there interspersed with home depots, barnes and nobles, and lots of huge ground level parking lots that are never more than 150 ft. from their destinations.

Frankly, I find the notion of downtown projects having to pass some sort of litmus test with the North Raleigh crowd to justify their implementation very annoying. The problem is these are all Raleigh taxpayers, and they don't want boondoggles being constructed, which is understandable. However, I think where we urbanites differ with the suburbanites is our respective definitions of boondoggles. For instance, there are many valid reasons why the new convention center could be considered a boondoggle and generally a waste of public expenditure. And I think there is something to the criticism surrounding its construction. However, I think these people either fail to realize outright or don't give enough creedence to the cumulative and secondary benefits of downtown revitalization.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to drive up Falls of the Neuse Road to Millbrook and I'm sure you all know how that goes <_<

Nothing in the papers yet, but there is a deal in the works to bring a condo tower to downtown Raleigh that may reach 20 or more floors in height. Look for it to be in the core of downtown, not in the glenwood south area or other peripheral areas. Thats all I can say now, just a teaser, but hopeful the developers will be ready to release it to the N&O in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to pry but where are you getting this info? Thanks for the tidbit, hopefully it will pan out. A nice place for such a building would be right beside the Hudson (formerly Belk) on Fayetteville St. That lot is dying for something. There are WAY too many parking lots downtown, and yet everyone whines about there not being any parking...

Most hardliner suburbanites probably have an idea of exactly what they want to see downtown: nothing. They want a sprawling, amoebic Virginia Beach or Cary with no discernable center at all.

... and yet everyone whines about there not being any parking...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right. The supposed lack of parking downtown is completely and utterly false. It's just that some people are used to the strip mall mentality, where you drive around and around past open spaces at the back of the lot until a space within 50 feet of your destination opens up. Sorry, that's not what downtown is about. Leave your car somewhere and GO FOR A WALK, people!!

I am, however, willing to go along with the city's plan of building a parking deck underground at the convention center. Rather than putting all the parking up in the air where it takes up a whole block but has no street-level activity at all, put it underground where nobody even notices that it's there.

It'll also be nice to have another parking deck in place for when Raleigh's downtown becomes active/popular enough to make parking a real issue.

I think it was you or monsoon, orulz, who mentioned something in the DOT thread about drivers in these parts not knowing how to behave in the presence of pedestrians, and it is absolutely true. This is really one of the very few downtown areas I've been in where cars actually are perceived to have the right of way, and not pedestrians. It's as if walkers are a nuissance to drivers, and it's utter BS and the cops ought to be enforcing giving up the right of way to peds.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but by far, the two biggest misconceptions about DT Raleigh are: 1) all the unspeakable violent crimes/muggings being committed everywhere and at all times, and 2) the extreme dearth of parking spaces.

Do people who think the above even go downtown, or do they rely on UPN 28 local news to reinforce how dangerous and lacking of parking DT is?

I hate to pry but where are you getting this info?  Thanks for the tidbit, hopefully it will pan out.  A nice place for such a building would be right beside the Hudson (formerly Belk) on Fayetteville St.  That lot is dying for something.  There are WAY too many parking lots downtown, and yet everyone whines about there not being any parking...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, lets just say I work for one of the few businesses/organizations in the area that are privy to this sort of info. To my knowledge, the development team does have a rendering drawn up, has done site plans etc. they're nailing down some details before they release it to the papers. the site is very close to the hudson actually.

I find this to be extremely exciting news for Raleigh. Don't forget that the Charlotte high-rise condo boom seemingly started from a 17 floor residential tower. Sometimes all it takes is that one developer willing to take that first step. Then other developers can assess their risks a little better and feel more confident in proposing a project of their own. I think that if the market in Raleigh eats up this project the way other southern cities have been eating up these types of projects Raleigh could experience its own high-rise residential boom like we are seeing everywhere else. Like I said sometimes a developer goes out on a limb, is met with tremendous success and then the floodgates seem to open up. And any high-rise residential towers in Raleigh could have a big impact on its skyline.

This would be a great thing for downtown Raleigh. Raleigh has been held back far too long by the NIMBYs' Raleigh is increasingly a spot for young up and comers 20 and thirty-somethings, many who are from the north. So a residential towers would do nothing but help the area. Because along with them would come the restuarants, shops, and food stores. By the way downtown is vibrant at night especially on the west st/glennwood side.

Like I always say

"Don't be afraid to dream, and while your at it dream big"

I dream of a time when I won't have to drive out to Cameron Village to buy groceries.... :silly:

(I live next to the Capitol-that's the rub)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read on Raleigh's website that there's a plan for a small-ish grocery store in one of the warehouses next to the old Seaboard station. Not sure what stage that plan is in though. Is that close to you?

I read on Raleigh's website that there's a plan for a small-ish grocery store in one of the warehouses next to the old Seaboard station. Not sure what stage that plan is in though. Is that close to you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite. I work in Pilot Mill (a stone's throw from Seaboard) and live by the Capitol. I had seen the plan to convert one of those warehouses into a Harris Teeter, which would be great for Oakwood, Mordecai, and downtown residents-basically everyone from Capital Blvd.-eastward could shop there.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but by far, the two biggest misconceptions about DT Raleigh are: 1) all the unspeakable violent crimes/muggings being committed everywhere and at all times, and 2) the extreme dearth of parking spaces.

Exactly... I also wish for a new DT market to shop at! The potential for a high-midrise residential tower are very exciting!

i think this will be next to new hotel they are building for the convention center. Site #1 or possibly Site #4 according to the livable streets website. but thats just a thought...

I was reading through the south end redevelopment plan and I'd bet it is site #1, which is acroos from the new Marriott, and on the east side of the current civic center along Wilmington St. I think that would be a perfect spot for it, especially with all the development potential the south end has coming out of that planning process.

• 2 weeks later...

This is because the vast majority of Raleigh's population is encompassed by the suburbs, and these people, of course, are going to discount DT Raleigh as "dead" and undesirable because it's not even where they want to be in the first place. I often wonder what these people envision as appropriate downtown land uses. Maybe a walmart here or there interspersed with home depots, barnes and nobles, and lots of huge ground level parking lots that are never more than 150 ft. from their destinations.

Frankly, I find the notion of downtown projects having to pass some sort of litmus test with the North Raleigh crowd to justify their implementation very annoying. The problem is these are all Raleigh taxpayers, and they don't want boondoggles being constructed, which is understandable. However, I think where we urbanites differ with the suburbanites is our respective definitions of boondoggles. For instance, there are many valid reasons why the new convention center could be considered a boondoggle and generally a waste of public expenditure. And I think there is something to the criticism surrounding its construction. However, I think these people either fail to realize outright or don't give enough creedence to the cumulative and secondary benefits of downtown revitalization.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to drive up Falls of the Neuse Road to Millbrook and I'm sure you all know how that goes <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[i agree Raleigh needs to be more agressive with its downtown growth plan and recruit the biggest corporation of them all to get more involved and thats North Carolina state govt.

• 8 months later...

Some have mentioned that there have been rumors of a large condo or office tower DT... I wonder if this is it?

SDB hatched a plan in 2004 to build a 15- to 24-story tower with condominiums, offices and shops there. But acquiring attached properties has been difficult. The group, which spent about $200,000 on renderings and designs, has turned to marketing the building, along with the plans.

BTW, here is a link to the location, which is diagonal from the RBC site.

Archived