Donovan Building to be Demolished

Allan

When I heard Kwame say he needed it for parking for the Super Bowl I almost couldn't believe it, but then we are talking about a man who likes to "play" a preservationist and take credit when it helps his image. There are literally lots all along the westside of Woodward that could have been made into temporary parking. But, God forbid people have to walk by two vacant, sealed structures to get across the freeway. What are you guys building here, city or Disney Land Detroit? This is JUST as senseless as the Madison Lenox sabotage, if not even more so because both buildings were in better shape than the ML. And most Detroit residents will pass by the site everyday now and think to themselves simply "didn't a building use to be there?" And that's all that will ever cross their minds. Even more ironic this was part of their history in the city. Motown was the largest Black-owned corporation in the country, at the time. If we can't even get excited and righteously angry over the loss our own history, is their any real hope that the whole damn city won't be bull-dozed over the next few years?

Man, I'm really angry over this one. The city didn't want it, the citizens didn't want it, and Barry Gordy certainly didn't ever give a damn about Detroit, as long as it was a stepping block for him to get to sunny California. History be damned, Detroit is going to be deconstructed piece-by-piece, building by building.

Now, let me regret this when I'm on here tomorrow. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what I-75 looks like. Imagine being down in that trench when a ridiculous plume of dust came at you... yikes!!

Although I hate demolition of beautiful buildings, the work of demolition in itself can be quite a beautiful thing. It's really interesting to see the way things fall down. Although I'm sad Hudsons is gone, I cannot argue that the implosion of that building was nothing short of fascinating.

The vultures continue to pick at the remains of the Donovan Building. There is one very tiny section of wall about 8 feet high left. Everything else is a pile of twisted steel, chunks of concrete and limestone, and soaking wet Motown papers. Interior photos will be coming as soon as I stop being lazy....

• 1 year later...

Wow, and for the longest time I thought those were office buildings.

Well, I would like to see some sort of mega development for that whole block. Something with a retail arcade and some big box types stores buried within, topped off with some mid rise towers (nothing more than 10-15 floors though)

Archived