• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lgbr2006

How many people move to Charlotte?

11 posts in this topic

How do they determine how many people have moved to Charlotte over the last year or so? Where do you find this kind of information? Thanks.

I don't know how they determine it, but I have some third party research that shows net migration into Charlotte as follows:

2004 24,316

2003 20,910

2002 20,455

2001 23,315

The breakdown for migrants in 2004 is 17,738 dometic and 6,578 foreign.

These are estimates. The US census only does a real count every 10 years.

According to the US Census the city added 36,457 between 2000 & 2004. Considerably less than the numbers above.

However it is difficult to define it because the city limits changes each year due to annexation. It might be better to look at the population change for Mecklenburg county.

But even the population counts from year to year are estimates. The Chamber of Commerce estimates versus the Census projections are very different, and even the NC State demographer. Who is right?

I would say the only one that really matters is the estimate from the Census. However the NC State demographer is probably the most accurate. The Chamber is of course going to do what they can to promote CLT.

Doesn't the Charlotte area metropolitan planning organization (council of governments, regional development center) provide demographic data? That is usually an accurate figure that is used by land use & transportation planners regionally.

IN a tangential note, it is clear from those NC demographic charts that North Carolina now has more people than New Jersey and is therefore back in the Top 10 states.

Seems like every other person from Charlotte-Mecklenburg County is from the northeast on my Mecklenburg County myspace group (mainly NY & NJ).