Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen this project on the livable streets website, and it is a really cool looking building. I think it will be a great addition to dt. The glassed in walkway that will connect it to the Museum of Natural Sciences sounds really cool too. It seems like Raleigh is making quite an effort to make dt more attractive to visitors and residents alike.

I think this project will definitely enhance the Natural Science museum, which already is a great place to visit on a Saturday afternoon (kids and adults). I hope everything goes through and the project is a huge success. Its interesting the "green" concept...I didn't realize the name "Green Square" came from the building actually being a "green building" in the sense of electrical & water savings, etc...

I was thinking recently that the mall in front of the museums and legislative building could be used for more festivals than it currently is. Maybe since Fayetteville Street Mall is no longer, there will be more events in that area. I'm not suggesting Alive After 5 move there or anything, but learning carnivals for kids, outdoor exhibits, etc.

Yeah, it has been approved.  Any word on when construction and such will get underway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did some poking around and found the text below from raleighnc.gov...

"Green Square. This State of North Carolina project on Jones Street is a $100 million dollar expansion of the Museum of Natural Sciences, coupled with a new headquarters for the Department of Environment and Natural Sciences and new main office for the State Employees Credit Union. Five hundred (500) new parking spaces will be provided with this project, with an additional 350 behind Edenton Street Methodist Church. Construction will be completed in mid-2008 .";

Link

Trianlge Biz Journal article

DENR Story

JB

• 6 months later...

Here's a quick story from WRAL about the Green Square expansion of the NC Museum of Natural Science, the most visited museum in the state at 700,000 patrons a year. There is a video link as well with a rendering of the building. The skywalk over Salisbury sounds cool and I like the design as well.

Museum Expansion

Another thought...with this project, as well as RBC, and the new Progress Energy project, downtown investment has to be approaching the $1.5 billion mark very quickly. Newspapers need to update that figure ;)

I think this museum rivals the Smithsonian, albeit on a much smaller scale. They did an awesome job with the addition several years ago; I wish they would stick to the original plan and go with more traditional architecture, because I think it would have more staying power than the modernist or deconstructionist style that's proposed right now. That said, this is another great example of public investment that will for sure enrich the downtown as a destination, and should spark additional private investment as well.

Go Raleigh, GO! :)

I hope they get that resturaunt they've been waiting for on the fourth floor. Right now they have a temporary cafeteria, and spaces waiting for exhibits. A proper resturaunt would really establish the museum as a serious institution, even if it isn't relevant to the research or the exhibits.

I hope they get that resturaunt they've been waiting for on the fourth floor. Right now they have a temporary cafeteria, and spaces waiting for exhibits. A proper resturaunt would really establish the museum as a serious institution, even if it isn't relevant to the research or the exhibits.

yes; and be a good addition to that part of downtown as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI to all...State DENR employees were just asked to answer a questionaire on transportation to their current offices and what they anticipate they will do once working downtown in Green Square.....proof that this project is solidly in the design phase. I will be riding a bike myself :D

In another thread, there is discussion of moving the NC Museum of Art to downtown east of the museum of History, which I think would compliment Green Square nicely.

A "museum walk" from Green Square through the History museum, and then south to Exploris could

incorporate a "satelite facility" downtown east of the history museum that has works from North Carolina artists and the big traveling exhibits that attract the out of town and out of staters (Rodin, Monet, etc.) at the "turn" of the walk.

It would be neat if somehow the Contemporary Art Museum in the warehouse district could somehow be incorporated in this, maybe selling off their land and building something at the Blount/Morgan intersection (auto repair shop, H&R block building, parking lot just east of what used to be the museum of art) to "fill in the gaps". The parking lot behind Exploris could show more "artsy" movies at night on weekends during the summer, to compliment the Wednesday night movies behind City Market.

The CAM used to be where Tir Na Nog is now, as part of the Moore Square Arts District, which was soundly squashed during the Fetzer/Coble administrations.

There is plenty of unused parking on weekends in the Blount Street deck between Hargett and Morgan, so finding a place to put cars can be handled by existing infrastructure!

And this would all start a few blocks from the new Convention Center and hotels, giving conventioneers something else to do with their time (and money).

The block east of the Museum of History would be a perfect location for the Museum of Art, but sadly I don't think that's an option. There is too much money already invested in their current campus, plus they just got money from the state legislature to expand for a new permanent Rodin exhibit.

The block east of the Museum of History would be a perfect location for the Museum of Art, but sadly I don't think that's an option. There is too much money already invested in their current campus, plus they just got money from the state legislature to expand for a new permanent Rodin exhibit.

Yeah, the Governor was out there for the announcement of the Rodin donation/purchase a few months ago and he personally pledged that the money would be available to expand the current museum. They have spent way too much out there.

I wish they would pledge to do something with all of that state owned property and the abandoned prison too.

Since someone brought up the NC Museum of Art, can anyone explain how this great musuem is not moving to the Dix property. The State owns the property. The Museum also wants this grand outdoor museum space. What grander place than Dix Hill. This spectacular design overlooking Downtown. Talking about making a statement. ALL of our museums should be DT. The City should be fighting for this. They want to create this incredible urban park. They keep comparing it to Central Park, Balboa Park, etc. Well those parks and many others around the country all have some major drawing cards like a museum or arboritum or zoo to attract people there. We have already let almost every large entertainment draw be built away from DT. Is there such a leadership void that this move is not even being considered? I know the current council is making progress, but there are only so many chances to land projects like the NCMA for our DT. Can someone in power step up and try to do something grand.

End of rant!

Since someone brought up the NC Museum of Art, can anyone explain how this great musuem is not moving to the Dix property. The State owns the property. The Museum also wants this grand outdoor museum space. What grander place than Dix Hill. This spectacular design overlooking Downtown. Talking about making a statement. ALL of our museums should be DT. The City should be fighting for this. They want to create this incredible urban park. They keep comparing it to Central Park, Balboa Park, etc. Well those parks and many others around the country all have some major drawing cards like a museum or arboritum or zoo to attract people there. We have already let almost every large entertainment draw be built away from DT. Is there such a leadership void that this move is not even being considered? I know the current council is making progress, but there are only so many chances to land projects like the NCMA for our DT. Can someone in power step up and try to do something grand.

End of rant!

That would be a great idea...if only the investment has not been that great. Like one person already said they have sunk in enough money on the existing property. Sounds like Raleigh needs the equivalent of Booth Amphitheater in Cary that fits on on the Dix campus. Glad that you mention Dix. Ever since the final presentation has anyone heard anything about what the plans are?

Sounds like Raleigh needs the equivalent of Booth Amphitheater in Cary that fits on on the Dix campus. Glad that you mention Dix. Ever since the final presentation has anyone heard anything about what the plans are?

AT that same luncheon Meeker discussed this as well, and it sounds like the NIMBYs have really been hard at work. He mentioned the city/county proposal and that there was a lot of opposition to it, and he said it was being scaled down and he knew the hotel was out for sure. He said he would still like to see some residential there.

These friends of Dix will stop at nothing until the whole damn thing is an "arboretum" or something.

To me, this raises a larger issue that Dana has touched on eloquently with the Marriot plans. We need to be more politically active. If we feel strongly about these issues, we need to use this forum to mobilize folks who share our values and try and influence political/public opinion just as these grassroots NIMBY groups have done.

More on the site plan for Green Square via State government internal memos and such....it will be two buildings actually (I originally thought it would be one).....the office component will sit at the corner of Jones and Salisbury with the Credit Union, Nature Research Center and DENR employees housed in what looks to be 4 or 5 stories with the previously mentioned pedestrian bridge over Salisbury at about the third story. A parking structure with ground floor retail will (about 4 stories total) sit at Jones and McDowell. Both buildings will incorporate "Green" building design and fancy architectural elements....it will look alot like a modern art museum imo.

Archived