Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

By the way, I think it would be beneficial for everyone on this board that lives in Wake to contact their reps and thank them for the work they have done on this thus far, and that you strongly support the project and would like to see them work to preserve the DENR component. FYI, anyone that is Deborah Ross's district should know that she has really taken a lead on this and has probably been the point member of the delegation. Be sure to thank her.

To determine who represents you:

enter your zipcode at the POst office website www.usps.com to determine your zip+4

Then enter that into the zip code look up on this site:

http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Representation/Wh...resents_Me.html

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly there is money in Easley's budget proposal for this project although I have not been able to dig it out. Additionally, there is $28 million appropriated for a visitor's center in DT Raleigh.

As I recall from reading a master plan report written some time in the mid-90s, the visitor center was to go on the parking lot across from the History Museum. In that plan, the visitors center was short, took up perhaps 1/2 or 2/3 of the lot, and was surrounded by landscaping and (IIRC) parking.

All in all, it seemed like such a piddling use for such a prominent, contiguous, huge block of state-owned downtown property.

Let's hope this plan is different.

• 1 month later...

Does any one know why a RFP has been issued for this project? I thought that it was already designed and construction was set to begin soon.

Department/Agency

Department of Environment and Natural Resources

Project Name

Green Square Complex

Design Services Architectural/Engineering Scope

This project involves the planning, design and construction of a 172,000 SF office building for DENR employees, a 79,400 SF Nature Research Center which includes a restaurant/retail area, a connecting sky bridge to the existing museum, exhibits and approximately 500 spaces for an underground parking desk. The designer will utilize the principles of Green Building and Sustainable Design. This project will be located in the block west of the Museum of Natural Sciences. Included in this project will also be the related site work, utilities, and building demolition. The proposed date for designer interviews will be Tuesday, May 8, 2007. All firms submitting letters of interest must be properly licensed to practice in the State of NC.

Budget Estimate $104,272,844 (Anticipated Funding)

Publish Date March 30, 2007

Closing Date April 20, 2007

Does any one know why a RFP has been issued for this project? I thought that it was already designed and construction was set to begin soon.

Department/Agency

Department of Environment and Natural Resources

Project Name

Green Square Complex

Design Services Architectural/Engineering Scope

This project involves the planning, design and construction of a 172,000 SF office building for DENR employees, a 79,400 SF Nature Research Center which includes a restaurant/retail area, a connecting sky bridge to the existing museum, exhibits and approximately 500 spaces for an underground parking desk. The designer will utilize the principles of Green Building and Sustainable Design. This project will be located in the block west of the Museum of Natural Sciences. Included in this project will also be the related site work, utilities, and building demolition. The proposed date for designer interviews will be Tuesday, May 8, 2007. All firms submitting letters of interest must be properly licensed to practice in the State of NC.

Budget Estimate $104,272,844 (Anticipated Funding)

Publish Date March 30, 2007

Closing Date April 20, 2007

Good find on the RFP. All we have seen/heard is renderings and lots of talk about what should get built, who will be involved etc.....I guess that part has been resolved, I am surprised I have not heard something before now.....design builds are cheaper and faster so I am glad to see it being bid this way.

• 4 weeks later...

When is site prep scheduled to begin. I remember that it's already been announced that the affected parking spaces will be taken soon.

Since Green Square no longer involves SECU, the State has re-started architect/designer selections. I wouldn't expect any physical progress until the end of summer/early fall. Besides, the project still needs official funding in the State Budget. The Governor's Office and House both have it in their budgets. Let's hope the Senate does as well.

Since Green Square no longer involves SECU

Can you please tell me when this came about? Who decided this? What is the SECU going to do instead?

On a little bit different note, the SECU of NC is the nations/USA second largest,(by assets), credit union. Wish they would build there own tall hq building in downtown Raleigh. :blink:

Can you please tell me when this came about? Who decided this? What is the SECU going to do instead?

On a little bit different note, the SECU of NC is the nations/USA second largest,(by assets), credit union. Wish they would build there own tall hq building in downtown Raleigh. :blink:

As the project stands now, SECU has claim to their piece of the land they currently have. They can build a new building there if they want or they can do nothing. This is what I have been told.

I don't agree with that at all. Several of my State Employee coworkers note that SECU is bound by laws that limit what it can do with its massive profits...it is limited by the types of loans it can make for instance....this is because credit unions do not have to pay most (or all) of the taxes that regular banks do. The evidence for not being thrifty is all the large branches being built everywhere and all the Cash Points atms's (that are free for all to use) going up. So there is alot of money sitting there with no shareholders to answer to, so spending seems to be a little free with these large footprinted branches and free atms' on every corner.

A SECU building would be pretty awesome. Banks come and go, but credit unions are always around. Not saying anything as to the possibility of it happening, but perhaps someone with some real insight could tell why it won't happen. Because it's government? It doesn't really run like any agency. It runs like a Euro-style bank.

Any project in the budget doesn't receive actual money until around October. It takes that long to get all the legal stuff hammered out and processed.

So unless there is planning money from previous budgets available, I wouldn't expect movement until this Fall at the earliest.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is how it is in the Final House appropriations committee report:

48. Green Square Project

Authorizes the issuance of certificates of participation for

the construction of a 172,000 square foot office building for

DENR; a 79,400 square foot expansion of the NC Museum of

Natural Sciences, and 418 spaces of underground parking. The

total cost for the project is $118.25 million. The Friends

of the Museum will offset $15.5 million of the project cost

for exhibit materials and equipment. The Friends of the

Museum will also pay for $27.5 million in debt principal.

The total debt authorized is $102,750,000. This project was

first authorized in S.L. 2005-255.

Hard to tell if it is buried in the Senate Budget somewhere (the COP projects weren't listed in the capital portion of the budget document), until they issue their own committee report...

The Senate budget passed today didn't have any money in the COPs for the Green Square project, they opted to spend a most of their capital spending on UNC system buildings including $114 million for the James B. Hunt Library at Centennial Campus.

The budget does have an interesting item regarding parking though...

The Department of Administration shall immediately cease the construction of a new parking facility in the City of Raleigh that had been authorized by Section 4 of S.L. 2006-231.

(Which states, SECTION 4. In accordance with G.S. 142‑83, this section authorizes the issuance or incurrence of special indebtedness in the maximum aggregate principal amount of twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) to finance the capital facility costs of a new parking deck to be constructed in downtown Raleigh.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived