Green Square & NCSECU HQ

ChiefJoJo

What about the budget surplus? Hate to eat into that, but... :)

We have a rural dominated legislature in an urban/suburban dominated state. Don't look for anything like you mention until the next Census redoes the state legislature districts to finally make our State Leg reflect the changing nature of the state.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the surplus is reflected in the proposed budget, so there's no more money available--that is unless it comes from another pot of money. Remember that it also includes a slight state sales tax reduction (1/2 cent I think), and a substantial raise for teachers (8%). There will be some legislative debate and compromise on this, but Raleigh's delegation (Cowell, etc) has very little political muscle, so i doubt Green Square, as it was originally intended (with DENR), will be built.

Transitman, it will definitely be interesting to see how the 2010 census changes the districts in NC. Certainly, NC is becoming more urban/suburban each year, but there is also a lot of gerrymandering that takes place by the politicos in to retain every last drop of power they can muster. Maybe the massive urbanization trends we see now will be too much to overcome next time.

• 1 month later...

No sign of any DENR Office Building or DENR-Green Square project in the latest NC budget conference (compromise) report. Link

There is inclusion of a $40M bond for the Art Museum though.

JB

Green Square should be proceeding, it is more of a question of whether or not DENR will be occupying space in the building. Since the credit union is supposed to finance the whole thing, the conference report will not indicate funding for that....it is actually good news that Blue Ridge Rd did not get funding...better chance that DENR will be forced into Green Square since Parker Lincoln Bldg is being torn down in a couple of years. Part XXIII Capital Appropriations only shows four line items for DENR...on a different note, section 23.10 shows funding for the Dix Study Commission indicating that the State is moving forward with making a decision on the property.

It would be awesome if they just went ahead and made the Green Square building the official and only building for the DENR. :D I wonder if mayor Meeker had any more input about this with the gov? :huh:

Its not even close to big enough as proposed....but a nice say 20 story building should handle the Raleigh area employees if the footprint was an acre or so. The Archdale building is nearly all DENR employees already (14 stories), plus Parker Lincoln, Oberlin Rd., the Reedy Creek Lab, Crabtree Blvd and the Regional Office on Six Forks (for those familiar with DENR locally). That would be nice proximity to the TTA stop too :)

I heard Parker-Lincoln closes in early 2008, so the clock is ticking...

Also, I glanced at the budget--I can't find Green Square--I did see the state is funding a major facility master plan update this fiscal year, to include an implementation plan. It even specifically mentioned transit as a goal of the plan :shok: .

DENR will not be a part of Green Square unless things drastically chance over at the legislature. A while back there was talk that NCSECU would fund the project but that is just not the case (atleast right now its not the case). Also, if I am not mistaken there is a bill in the legislature for $20 million to fund (this was not included in the Budget Bill) a parking structure (above ground) on the Green Square site (right where DENR would go).

I thought that parking structure was scrapped.

According to Senate Bill 1621-Section 4 -- "In accordance with G.S. 142‑83, this section authorizes the issuance or incurrence of special indebtedness in the maximum aggregate principal amount of twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) to finance the capital facility costs of a new parking deck to be constructed in downtown Raleigh. The State, with the prior approval of the State Treasurer and the Council of State, as provided in Article 9 of Chapter 142 of the General Statutes, is authorized to issue or incur special indebtedness in order to provide funds to the State to be used, together with other available funds, to pay the capital facility costs of the project described in this section."

Also If I'm reading the bill vote history correctly it has passed.

According to Senate Bill 1621-Section 4 -- "In accordance with G.S. 142‑83, this section authorizes the issuance or incurrence of special indebtedness in the maximum aggregate principal amount of twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) to finance the capital facility costs of a new parking deck to be constructed in downtown Raleigh. The State, with the prior approval of the State Treasurer and the Council of State, as provided in Article 9 of Chapter 142 of the General Statutes, is authorized to issue or incur special indebtedness in order to provide funds to the State to be used, together with other available funds, to pay the capital facility costs of the project described in this section."

Also If I'm reading the bill vote history correctly it has passed.

I had thought this was going on the SW corner of the block (same as the NE corner of McDowell and Edenton). I will ask some State Construction Office friends and see whats up....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived