Sparks in West End

gs3

Snapped a couple of photos of this building under renovation on Markley Street in West End well off the beaten path. Nice to see sparks of re-development happening on the less traveled side streets of West End. Does anybody know what this building is or what it will be?

CIMG4074.jpg

CIMG4075.jpg

CIMG4076.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree anything is better than an old rundown building.Im glad that the westend is such a concentration of new development.Before long this development could wrap back around to Acadamy and eventually tie into saint francis hospital making a hospital in downtown a reality.

When I first saw this the other day, my first guess was that this is The Venue and Recording Studio that Edwin McCain is opening up in the West End. Anybody know if my intuition is working or is it something else all together? If that is the case, anybody know where his club is going to be?

I don't think this is the same place, though I'm not able to say it with confidence. The construction on the studio should have been complete by now, because when I heard/read about it a couple months ago, it was near or already open. I know it is supposedly on Augusta St., but I haven't figured out where yet. I remember hearing Will Merrit say that their studio was almost close enough to be struck by home runs from the new ballpark (maybe it was an exageration). ^_^

In recent weeks and months while photographing ballpark construction progress, I've noticed several small areas of redevelopment off of South Main around the Ballpark. All along Rhett Street near the ballpark, several parking lots have recently been paved where gravel and dirt lots had once been. A lot has been cleared (and perhaps a building razed ... I can't recall what was there, unfortunately) on South Main Street between O'Neal Street and Wardlaw Street. Some other store fronts in the area showing signs of renovation and redevelopment.

I snapped one last photo (before sending my camrea off to be repaired) looking North on South Main Street from in front of Rocks and Ropes. It'll make a nice "before image" of what the area looked like before it sprung to life :yahoo: in the early 2000's. I'll post it over in the PotD thread if there are any days needing a photo. In the mean time, it's out on my flickr page.

Our city officials and developers are intently focused on the West End as the next boom market. Mayor White told me that he hopes the developments will attract more of the Arts to that district. He sees the North Main area (not to be confused with the North End) as the heavier entertainment district. I assume he means most of the CBD.

When I first saw this the other day, my first guess was that this is The Venue and Recording Studio that Edwin McCain is opening up in the West End. Anybody know if my intuition is working or is it something else all together? If that is the case, anybody know where his club is going to be?

I don't much about this. Is the recording studio just for him? Or will it be a label/studio for multiple musical artist?

Hey ... aside from the more well-known musicians and producers, there's really nothing to keep us from carving a niche in this industry and creating our own sound, too...the talent certainly is here. The studio soon will be here, too! We're not Nashville, Seattle, or Austin. We're potentially something entirely different and (arguably) better!

Hey ... aside from the more well-known musicians and producers, there's really nothing to keep us from carving a niche in this industry and creating our own sound, too...the talent certainly is here. The studio soon will be here, too! We're not Nashville, Seattle, or Austin. We're potentially something entirely different and (arguably) better!

Knoxville has a neat story:

www.wdvx.com started about 4 years ago as a listener-supported radio station based out of a trailer. They play bluegrass, americana, and a lot of East Tennessee musicians. Now they have a studio in the heart of Knoxville's Old City and have daily concerts at noon (VR5-49 playing today, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones on the 23rd). It has become a minor tourist destination for the Old City.

I'm listening to it now!

Archived