I-385 problems north of I-85

g-man430

Even though the construction project on I-385 north of I-85 is pretty much finished, i've noticed there are a few problems that need to be addressed. First, is that a lot of the lights on I-385 including entrance/exit ramps and overhead lights for exits are off at night. Second, is when your heading north on I-385 between Haywood Road and Pleasantburg Drive, the exit only sign for exit 40B to get on Pleasantburg Drive South is in the wrong lane; it's one lane over to the left than it should be. These are problems that need to be addressed immediately by the SCDOT.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree about the signs being completely out of place. That really bugs me. Couldn't they have seen it while it was erected into position?!

The lights are helpful, but I think street lighting should have been implemented all the way into the city along the Interstate. I don't like driving in the dark in town, especially with so much traffic. :blink: Maybe there are plans to add them later?

I hope they add street lighting too like they did on I-85 when you enter Greenville County from Anderson County, but if they do I think it will be along the sides of the interstate instead of in the middle. This is because of the plants in the middle median. I've never seen lights on an interstate in the middle median along with plants. That would be something though.

I think that there is a right and a wrong way of implementing lights for a freeway. Look at Atlanta I-85 in Gwinnett, and look at I-85 in Greenville from Saluda Rvr to Laurens Rd exit. Both areas are primarily commerically zoned, and few residences. North of Laurens Rd though, you start to get into some apartment complexes, and suburban developments. I think that is what is holding SCDOT off on putting lights in the medians. Same thing applies to I-385 Expressway. Mostly residential, and the commercial area is pretty well lit from all the other light pollution in the Congaree/Roper Mtn/Haywood areas. I'm pretty sure that there is a way to do lighting on the side that will provide minimal light pollution, yet provide ample lighting to the roadway. I feel that this is necessary given the times that there is dense fog advisories in our area.

Depending on the time of day, lights can make dense fog more difficult to drive through. I'd personally be in favor of minimal lighting from both the sides and the medians. I'm actually somewhat surprised that some landscape uplighting wasn't installed with each of the trees in the median while they were at it. Then again, of the up-light gets pointed in the wrong direction, it could be a hazzard for drivers.

Along these same lines...it's obvious that notches were left along the sides of the Haywood Road Overpass Bridge for lamp posts. As of yet, no lamp posts have been installed. I'm wondering what the hold-up is.

If the lightposts are coming from a different country. They are probably held up in customs. I remember that is what held up the Liberty Bridge's opening at Falls Park. The steel to make the bridge had to go through customs and it got delayed a couple of weeks.

I slightly understand residents' concern over lights, but have they never heard of curtains? You live in a vibrant city, next to an important interstate; can't have everything your way in such a case.

My point is that I drive much easier under lights. It lessens the glare from all the bright commercial and other lighting along the road, not to mention the oncoming headlights. I don't know why a city installs them, but I assume it is for the same reason.

I agree with you skyliner; the residents should know what the risks are by moving next to an interstate in a growing city; obviously it is going to expand and get better. The city is planning on putting in trees along the interstate to act as a barrier so if they do put in lights this should help keep down the noise and light problems along the interstate and the residents shouldn't be complaining anymore.

I also agree about the lights. Lights are a necessity along the interstate for the safety of drivers. Whether people who live nearby like it or not should be a secondary concern. As you stated Skyliner, that's what blinds, curtains, and shades are for. That is analagous to how background noise like an air machine is beneficial in drowning out noise from cars, sirens, etc. late at night or while trying to sleep.

• 1 month later...

I emailed the SCDOT about some of the I-385 questions I had and here's the response I got:

Thank you for your e-mail to Mr. Shealy concerning the lighting on the I-385

road construction project. I have been asked to provide you an update to your

concerns. At the present time the lights for the ramps and sign lighting at

I-385 @ Stone Avenue and at I-385 @ Heywood Road are waiting on the electrical

service from Duke Power. The service for each of these locations was requested

from the power company on December 12, 2005 when SCDOT was advised by the

lighting contractor that he was ready for the electrical service to be

installed. The signs and ramps at the I-385 @ S.C. 291 and I-385 @ Roper

Mountain Road are in operation. Also to my knowledge there are no plans at this

time to install any high mast or shoulder lighting at any other locations on

I-85 or I-385 in Greenville. Also the SCDOT and the contractor are in the

process of correcting the sign at S.C. 291 and I-385 North. I hope I have answered your concerns and if not please contact me and I will try to be of further assistance. Again thank you for advising us of your concerns.

Archived