The West End's Painted Buildings

GvilleSC

The West End's Painted Buildings  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Painted Advertisements in the West End?

• YES
    • NO
    • indifferent

I was just wondering what yall thought...

I personally like most of them. Like the one that says Harpers Brothers as you enter the West End on the left side of Main. As long as it stays like that and is not painted. I think it adds character and kind of reminds you that you're entering a different district of Downtown. There's others that I also like that are there, like the one on the side of the Army Navy store. I guess I just can't imagine it not being there.

NOTE: I'm not talking about painted, boarded up store fronts, like that that is on the corner of S Main and River St. I hate the picture of the people and balloons and whatever is on that building. There's a difference between the trashy art on the front of that building and painted "billboards" that reflect the West End's prime and prosperity of the past.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like the painted buildings in the westend or most of them anyway.I think it shows that Greenville has charactor. This area is supposed to be turned into the art hub of Greenville so I think that the painted buildings are fitting.

I, for one, think the old painted advertisements lend a great deal of character to the area. I would have been in the indifferent category had I not come across a building in the Bunker Hill / USS Constitution area in Boston that still had a faded old advertisement for the White Star Line (think "Titanic" or "Britanic") painted on the side. Ever since then, I've taken to noticing and appreciating the history behind these walls.

I think they add a lot of character. RT mentions "faded" above....that's the way they should be.....worn and aged. I lived in one city (that shall remain nameless) that had some of these old painted signs on buildings and decided to go through and repaint them (they kept them the way they were and the original colors), but put fresh new coats of paint on. Just awful....killed the attitude. The local arts community had a fit. :)

I think they add a lot of character. RT mentions "faded" above....that's the way they should be.....worn and aged. I lived in one city (that shall remain nameless) that had some of these old painted signs on buildings and decided to go through and repaint them (they kept them the way they were and the original colors), but put fresh new coats of paint on. Just awful....killed the attitude. The local arts community had a fit. :)

I agree! I think the CocaCola Ad on the Side of Army Navy Store was repainted. I'm not sure how I feel abou this though. Becuase it's an old style ad, but has a fresh coat of paint so I think. Anyway, it's at ground level, so it has more wear and tear and will have more up close attention. So I kind of like the idea of it being repainted, but for the others.... ABSOLUTELY NOT.

What do yall think about the Coke one?

• 5 months later...

BUMP!

186919378_57c154506c.jpg

186919380_4f39e4654c.jpg

^^^The Greenville Army & Navy Store could use a slight face-lift. The building next door, I love its painted wall peeking above its neighbor, and it is in dire need of a good renovation. It has a lot of potential. If slots don't get occupied then the space down toward the ballpark never will lease or ever see foot traffic...

Thanks to the idiotic DPC, which rejected the beautiful new development that would have transformed that corner into a major attraction. They could have at least gotten the ball rolling on ideas to bring these old dilapidated buildings up to code and into use. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the idiotic DPC, which rejected the beautiful new development that would have transformed that corner into a major attraction. They could have at least gotten the ball rolling on ideas to bring these old dilapidated buildings up to code and into use. :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on the DPC. That "historic" building is not attractive in the slightest (and maybe it could be) and I can't even imagine a project like that's impact on such an area. HUGE could be an understatement in conjunction with the new ballpark. Maybe a wrecking ball will atleast find its way to Kimbrell's...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that big green building ... at least not anything that couldn't be cured by a wrecking ball, a bulldozer, some shovels, a few dump trucks, and a nice big statue of (one of the) Wade Hampton's on the corner with a historical marker explaining that a meeting was held on that site to develop a strategy for getting him elected Governor of South Carolina. :thumbsup:

There's something I've noticed while in Texas...there are Historical Markers erected EVERYWHERE in this state, courtesy of the Texas State Historical Commission. We could do with more of it in South Carolina, methinks. -_-

Archived