Tallahassee Parade of Homes

Go Gators

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Tallahassee Builders Association News Updates

This is the time of year when local builders are busy getting ready for Tallahassee's premier home showcase event, the 2006 Parade of Homes. Mark your calendars now so that you don't miss out on the opportunity to personally visit one of over 50 remarkable homes.

2006 Parade of Homes

May 13-14 and May 20-21

• 2 weeks later...

I toured several homes this weekend and I must say I am disappointed. Is it just me or does it seem that the builders getting sloppy and not paying attention to the details, and mundane lackluster developments with no amenities.

It seems to me that builders and developers are not using the same design characteristics that they did 4 years ago.

Yes, land has gone up - allot. Yes, material and labor have gone up. But, I as a consumer am covering these costs and the builder/developer are still making the same if not more money now.

I see bad very poorly designed exteriors (curb appeal) and bad floor plans in allot of these homes.

The neighborhoods have no conceptual design to them. It looks like they just said, "how many lots can we stuff in here to maximize our profits." Profits are good, don

I concur with Sandman. I am glad that I built a few years ago, because the prospect of getting a reasonable value in new construction seems to be waning.

Maybe the examples I saw were isolated, but I felt they did have many examples of corners being cut. And they were corners that did not necessarily add to the cost. Some were fundamental problems like the lack of consideration of the size, shape and location of the lot when choosing a plan.

Also, there was a "complaint" in the letters to the editor in the Democrat this morning about the palatial homes on the parade that the writer could never hope to afford. I don't think that this should be considered a fault of the parade, as it does not make economic sense for builders to go through the effort to promote "average" houses on the parade because I think people go to see things that they cannot afford, things that they might not otherwise get to see. And builders look to showcase their best work in this venue when judges and the community are looking at such a large field of homes.

I agree with you both. And following along with what you said toolman, I think if this was the best the builders could do for the prices they are asking, this city needs a new set of builders to move into town. Too much good land is being wasted for the sake of a quick buck. 2006 was the most disappointing Parade of Homes I've ever been too, primarily because there were no condominium developments featured. But that's just my personal take on it.

Dispite my lack of satisfaction, here are some pictures from my short trip.

$1,645,000.00

SonyShots003.jpg

SonyShots002.jpg

SonyShots001.jpg

$2.4 Million

SonyShots005.jpg

SonyShots006.jpg

SonyShots007.jpg

SonyShots004.jpg

$800,000

SonyShots012.jpg

$500,000?

SonyShots008.jpg

Not Sure if this home was on Parade or Not

SonyShots009.jpg

high real estate values are not unique to Tally. In fact, Tally hasn't been hit as hard as many other places. There was a write up in the USA Today recently about California's AVERAGE home price of $600K.

Homes are expensive. Lots of folks want to buy a mansion for $250K. Those days are over....and have been for a long time.

It isn't about Tally not having poor builders, it is just a tough market with Katrina putting the hurt on construction and lots of real estate speculators driving up costs.

I am happy I bought my home before things got too crazy.

It is one thing for prices to be higher, and I agree with you in that we have been sheltered compared to some of the areas.

My complaint is the quality of design and finish detail of the homes today.

A finished 600k-dollar home with architectural dormers over the front porch, are a nice touch. When you can see the bare studs and plywood thru the window of the before mentioned dormer, not so nice.

There is just not the same thought and detail oriented work put in to the homes now days. Because of the housing boom, the builders are overloading their resources to the point where these kinds of things happen.

That is no excuse for that.

Unless you want to say that it is the consumers fault. They are so willing to buy a house right now, no matter the cost, and sacrifice the details of designs and finishes.

It is one thing for prices to be higher, and I agree with you in that we have been sheltered compared to some of the areas.

My complaint is the quality of design and finish detail of the homes today.

A finished 600k-dollar home with architectural dormers over the front porch, are a nice touch. When you can see the bare studs and plywood thru the window of the before mentioned dormer, not so nice.

There is just not the same thought and detail oriented work put in to the homes now days. Because of the housing boom, the builders are overloading their resources to the point where these kinds of things happen.

That is no excuse for that.

Unless you want to say that it is the consumers fault. They are so willing to buy a house right now, no matter the cost, and sacrifice the details of designs and finishes.

It has been a sellers market the last 3-4 years....so maybe it has to do with that. I have a few homes being constructed around where I live and I see no great lack of quality...certainly nothing measurable. But I don't doubt that do to the hot market there is some issues out there.

Perhaps as the market cools off, which it is doing now, it will get better.

It has been a sellers market the last 3-4 years....so maybe it has to do with that. I have a few homes being constructed around where I live and I see no great lack of quality...certainly nothing measurable. But I don't doubt that do to the hot market there is some issues out there.

Perhaps as the market cools off, which it is doing now, it will get better.

I know, most probably don

While your pix are always appreciated TJ, all the homes you took pix of were UGLY! The worst was the pool area of that one house. It was as stark as could be and they want over a two million for an ugly pool area? What I know more about than the quality of building is landscaping and all the landscaping in those expensive homes were quality C (w/A being the best.) Those blooming Oleanders in the one shot cost about 4 bucks a piece. And what's w/all the tiny/spindly white columns on all the houses? Is that Tally/N. Florida thing? UGH...you guys are right...pure crap...glad I was out of town and missed this Parade.

Lucky for your Poonther, the parade continues next weekend. I will say I was turned off at the taste in the design of these high dollar homes. I think the best offerings were probably in Southwood this year, I didn't make it over there this year because I feel I've seen enough of the neighborhood for now. But I'm sure the homes featured there were nice.

The best thing about going to the parade homes, is comparing the kitchens. That seems to be the only thing in these homes that turns me on.

the homes pictured are not necessarily my cup of tea either, but since building my home I have realized one thing. Everybody has different taste.

If the folks here built a house to their liking, 50% of the folks driving by it will think it is crap. I love my home and I am certain the same happens with my house.

Do not underestimate the vast difference of taste among the consumers out there. What you folks think is crap....someone else out there spent a LOT of $$$$ on. And what you think is great, there a lot of folks who think it is crap. Just how people work.

Good slide show, I think that does kinda sum it up. SJ what you stated about "different strokes for different folks" is a definite obvious point here. TJ, myself and the others are just stating our personal opinions is all, but I think AiT's quote that "money cannot buy class" hits the nail on the head.

One glaring ugliness I didn't notice until I took a second look at TJ's photos is on the white brick home that they are asking $800K for is the utilities boxes etc. Take a look at the photo and see where the meter boxes are for that home...it's not hard to miss. Is that a temporary location or are they really gonna keep that ugliness right up in the front yard for all to see? TACKY TACKY TACKY!

Good slide show, I think that does kinda sum it up. SJ what you stated about "different strokes for different folks" is a definite obvious point here. TJ, myself and the others are just stating our personal opinions is all, but I think AiT's quote that "money cannot buy class" hits the nail on the head.

One glaring ugliness I didn't notice until I took a second look at TJ's photos is on the white brick home that they are asking $800K for is the utilities boxes etc. Take a look at the photo and see where the meter boxes are for that home...it's not hard to miss. Is that a temporary location or are they really gonna keep that ugliness right up in the front yard for all to see? TACKY TACKY TACKY!

Poonther

I agree that a home should guide you when you walk into the front door rather than leave you wondering where in the house you are. I found that in a few homes this year, the feeling that I didn't know where in the world I was.

Poonther, the utility pole was temporary. I often see those in front of these new homes. Another frustration is going to many of the homes this year, not many of them were complete.

Thanks guys for clearing up my question about the temporary utility pole. I'm glad to know that it is temporary. I'm rarely in the new subdivisions around town and don't have a chance to see how they do the utility boxes.

Sandman don't feel you have to apologize about your comments. It's great to hear from someone who is in the biz. Your comments created a good healthy dialogue here and IMO that's what this place is about: DISCUSSION, both agreeing and disagreeing w/each other.

thetoolman your labeling that one house "The Vincent Price house" is just way too funny. That label definitely fits. That is extremely odd what you said about the home prices going up the longer they are on the market instead of going down. I'd think w/interest rates going up for consumers that they'd want to at least hold the prices steady.

IMO one the best builders currently in Tally is K2!

Archived