Which one of these luxuries couldn't you do without?

NCB

Which of these luxuries couldn't you do without?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these luxuries couldn't you do without?

• Cable/Satellite T.V.
    • Broadband Internet
    • Cell Phone
    • Air Conditioning

Air conditioning doesn't really fit in with the other choices, but I thought it would be interesting to put it in there. :D

As for me, this is a very tough choice. I could definately survive without cable or satellite T.V., and I could probably handle most of the day well without a cell phone.

But my beloved broadband internet connection, or my beloved air conditioning for those hot and humid Louisiana summer nights!? :blink:

Which one of these can't any of you lose?

BTW, by "air conditioning" I mean a cooling system, not heating.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, I am old enough to remember the days before air conditioning was that common in the South. You can get by if you learn to deal with it. haha

People simply slowed down during the middle of the day, houses had big porches and attic fans to bring air though the place, and there was more social interaction than we see today where people keep themselves sealed up inside their homes for 6 months out of the year. Adapting to the demands of the seasons was more interesting that going to the same old thing day after day which is what AC brought us.

I had to say internet. I can live without AC since I only need for about three months anyway, I hate my cell phone and would love to be rid of it, and cable tv kind of sucks anyway, plus all the decent shows that I would want to watch I could just download off the internet anyway (albeit illegally...)

You can get by if you learn to deal with it. haha

After Katrina, I stayed in my house with no power for a total of 3 1/2 weeks, and the average temperature in the house at night was around 98 degrees. The first week was horrible, nearly no sleep at all. The second week seemed to get a bit easier as I got used to the heat at night more, and sleep came easier. By the third week, the heat during the night didn't bother me much at all. I had gotten used to it through 20+ days, and sleeping and evening activities became almost normal. :D Though for the first two weeks, it didn't help that I had no running water! ;)

In the summer? A/C in the winter? Broadband. Especially since I just got it not long ago

I didn't include a heating system because I didn't think it would be as fair to the northern forumers. It is much easier to have no A/C, and deal with 100 degree temps. than it is to have no heating system and deal with frigidly cold temps.

Easy for me, cell phone. I just don't use mine very often. I might be able to eventually get used to not having an air conditioner but I wouldn't want to try it. :lol: I'm not a big fan of the hot humid summers already and I live in one of the 'cooler' spots in my state.

I have gotten used to internet. I kind of hate my cellphone(though it is neccesary), Cable tv is good, but I could do without it. I live in Ecuador, so I do not have to deal with seasons, and thus, I have no need for the Air Conditioner. Internet, as an information, communication and entretainment provider is mabe the one I like the most. I think it is even becoming more and more important not only for individual but for entire communities.

:ph34r:

Broadband.

I've lived without a cellphone before and it's not THAT bad. When I was in Europe I watched about 10% as much TV as at home.. and I probably watch a total of 5 hours/week anyway. (Not counting the occasional movie)

And Air conditioning? it would suck on the average 1.3 days that it gets above 90*F in the summer... but Minnesota has 15,000 lakes! A/C is very much a luxury in Minnesota.. not a necessity (most people where I live don't have it)

Interesting that an automobile was not considered for the list of luxuries.

I only turn on my cell phone ever other month or so anyway. And I don't really need AC. I only turned it on two or three times last summer.

Not hot enough here that I'd die without A/C, don't really need a cell phone (though handy when you have a car as rickety as mine.... :wacko: ), still don't have broadband (at home). Cable TV for me; I'm addicted to a few shows and I sit in the corner in a withdrawal state if I can't watch........ :shok::silly::rolleyes:

Heh, I am old enough to remember the days before air conditioning was that common in the South. You can get by if you learn to deal with it. haha

People simply slowed down during the middle of the day, houses had big porches and attic fans to bring air though the place, and there was more social interaction than we see today where people keep themselves sealed up inside their homes for 6 months out of the year. Adapting to the demands of the seasons was more interesting that going to the same old thing day after day which is what AC brought us.

Metro, I'm 51+ and I've always had air conditioning. I have only been in one house in my life with an attic fan to pull air through. It was neat. At night it would be turned on to suck in the cool night air to cool the house down. I was just a poor city boy, so I didn't have those big front porches to meet people on either. That old sealing yourself up. That's what I remember. LOL

Now, I have lived without air conditioning. I never had it in California and I had an ex in Washington DC that was against it and I survived. You notice that I said EX. At my age, I really don't want to be without it if I am in a hot climate. I certainly wouldn't need it, if I moved back to San Francisco. I can't afford to move back to San Francisco though. I will not do without it here in Maryland.

This is a tough one. I've been to third-world countries where A/C wasn't available, it was quite a scorcher. I could certainly live without cable/satellite and without my cell. I guess if fans are allowed.. lol... then it'd be broadband internet!! I go crazy if i don't get internet for a few days

If automobile was on that list it'd be my first choice. I hate not only my crap plastic car but all other cars and drivers as well....

I understand how you feel! There are those times I wish I had a set of 50 calibers under my hood for those annoying drivers..... :P But I love my car, it's like an old shoe. It's old, no A/C or radio, looks like death warmed over. You just feel so sorry for it you gotta love it! :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived