Grand Rapids Wish List 2006

GRDadof3

I thought I'd start another one of these for the beginning of 2006. Take the opportunity to talk (beotch) about what you'd like to see improved to make this the best city to live and do business in. Of course, ideas are always better received then just gripes :thumbsup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see some of the current property owners downtown take the time refuribish the sides and/or backs of their buildings (i.e. paint, put brick, whatever). It never ceases to amaze me how many times they do such a good job on the front facades but spend little time sprucing up the other areas of their property. At least Terra Firma painted the side of the grandville buildings by the bus depot beige (the side that faces 131). It is in the smaller details that I can see opportunity for improvement.

At least Terra Firma painted the side of the grandville buildings by the bus depot beige (the side that faces 131). It is in the smaller details that I can see opportunity for improvement.

I was kind of disappointed when they painted the beige over the old faded advertisement from the 40s or 50s. Those ads are classic and it was kind of cool to see as you drove down the s curve.

I was kind of disappointed when they painted the beige over the old faded advertisement from the 40s or 50s. Those ads are classic and it was kind of cool to see as you drove down the s curve.

I like the old ads too. Does the city allow you to redo/paint them w/o approval?

Back to the topic...

Of course I'd like more housing d/t, but of course, there's a lot of it going in right now so I'll probably get that :)

I'd also like to see the continued work on improving housing in areas like Madison and Franklin (there's a lot of new places being built around that area).

I would like to see more sun than we have lately too! :rolleyes:

I like the old ads too. Does the city allow you to redo/paint them w/o approval?

Back to the topic...

Of course I'd like more housing d/t, but of course, there's a lot of it going in right now so I'll probably get that :)

I'd also like to see the continued work on improving housing in areas like Madison and Franklin (there's a lot of new places being built around that area).

I would like to see more sun than we have lately too! :rolleyes:

I would like to see new projects announced that have some gosh dang transparency on the ground floor. I would also like to hear less whining about parking and more whining about building design, particularly with regard to pedestrians. And a few new tall buildings getting started would be pretty sweet too :P

I would love to see a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in GR this year...

I agree with the trader joes. They are popping up all over the Detroit metro area and everytime I go in I ask if they are coming but they are not planning on it. I'm so tired of driving or begging friends to get me items from there.

Whole foods is nice but they are a lot more expensive than TJ's

I would also love an IKEA but going to Canton is okay.

I agree with the trader joes. They are popping up all over the Detroit metro area and everytime I go in I ask if they are coming but they are not planning on it. I'm so tired of driving or begging friends to get me items from there.

Whole foods is nice but they are a lot more expensive than TJ's

I would also love an IKEA but going to Canton is okay.

Welcome to our forum Kellie.

I can't believe the amount of people who want a TJ or whole foods.. I gotta check one out to see what the fuss is about.

Welcome to our forum Kellie.

I can't believe the amount of people who want a TJ or whole foods.. I gotta check one out to see what the fuss is about.

I've never been there and I'm kind of feeling a little left out myself :(

Our current residential in the downtown area is kind of spotty. We have 5,000 people now I think, but they are spread out quite a bit. I think it would be much easier for retail to be successful if we had all 5,000 of those people living in one of the downtown districts. So, I guess I'd like to see more projects happen in one particular area. I think this could happen in either Heartside or North Monroe, but not both at once. After we have one truly successful district I think it would be a lot easier to expand upon, and could really increase our momentum.

Hi

Trader Joes is awesome, it's a high end healthy living grocery store with quality food at Aldis like prices. They have the most unique items and it doesn't break the bank to shop there.

I keep on thinking that the plaza going up on alpine would be the perfect location for it.

I'll keep my hopes up...

Thanks for the welcome,

Kellie

I'd like:

- the Griffins to have a long playoff run.

- good alt/indie bands to play often at local venues.

- better movies to play at the UICA and other local theatres.

- more retail to open downtown in the footsteps of the bookstore/market/office supply places that opened in late 2005.

... is that asking for too much?

-Additions to the skyline (or at least plans for)

-Centralizing of local big businesses into the downtown region

-An employment boom

-Initiation of a Metro Urban/Surban (Re)Vitalization Project in which GR and its surrounding communities come together for the greater good, combating sprawl and streamlining development efforts with the first major project being the desiging of a massive regional mass transit interurban rail system.

I wish for a new superindendent for GRPS that can turn the district around (or at least a few schools) and actually lure new families to the city.

I wish for a "Grand Rapids Promise" following in the

footsteps of Kalamazoo.

GR Wishlist 2006:

-Smart Historic Prservation (don't make it a crime to remove lead paint!, yeesh)

-Full implementation of City-wide WiFi Internet access.

-Even more diverse restaurant choices, just like your basic burger joint would suffice :D

-A plan to take out the Michigan Street "conveniance corner" (AKA College and Michigan)

-- now I know GR does need some way to fuel up, but that corner would benefit from a couple 3-5 story buidlings on top of the Bagel Beanery, and one on top of the Gas Station.

-More detail on RSC's Fulton & Division plot.

-A big HQ moving DT announcement.

Dreamer's list '06 (the stuff that will never happen, but man, wouldn't it be nice if it did?)

-Anti-SUV law for all downtown streets.

-Better bike paths downtown

-Someone to make a pirate themed restaurant called "The Poop Deck", yarrr!

-Underground parking standard on all buildings south of I-196, east of US-131, north of Wealthy, and west of College.

I remember years ago when that was a Pepsi Ad. I love old building signs.

I remember years ago when that was a Pepsi Ad. I love old building signs.

This one is my current favorite around town (Division & Fulton), probably because it's in such good condition and it reappeared after the parking ramp was torn down.

05.jpg

This ended up being a bit off topic, but it might be worthwhile to have a thread devoted to old advertisements still left on the sides of buildings.

I would love to see an authentic Greek restaurant. . we have NONE in Grand Rapids!! Last time I was in Greektown, I told the owner of Pegasus that he should open a restaurant in GR! He just laughed . . what does that mean?!?! haha Seriously, I think it would be a hit! Better than another Applebees, Chilis, Fridays etc. chain food restaurant . . .

I would love to see an authentic Greek restaurant. . we have NONE in Grand Rapids!! Last time I was in Greektown, I told the owner of Pegasus that he should open a restaurant in GR! He just laughed . . what does that mean?!?! haha Seriously, I think it would be a hit! Better than another Applebees, Chilis, Fridays etc. chain food restaurant . . .

There used to be one by Woodland but its closed now...

Archived