Grand Rapids Wish List 2006

GRDadof3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the answer is as simple as that Snoogit. If I'm not misktaken, the location of a new post office has been the issue all along. If memory serves, there are federal regulations on how far out of the downtown core the post office is allowed to be.

There is no land available in the allowable downtown core area that meets the logistic needs of the post office.

If there was the opportunity, I'm sure Devos would have relocated the post office by now. :D

I thought it was cost? that moving the main logistics part of the PO was going to be around 24 million, and the only way the PO would move is if a significant portion of the cost was picked up by the developer?

I'd really like to see a bustling waterfront full of cafes, bistros and shops, a la San Antonio -- for at least 5-6 months out of the year. :rolleyes:

03cde263.jpg

That and a proactive, not reactive, regular re-paving program that stays ahead of potholes.

Plus, to steal from another thread....FREE PARKING!!! Living in Holland, I am completely spoiled. We tossed the parking meters onto a large trash heap over 15 years ago. The downtown merchants pay an assessment and pass the maintenance and enforcement costs on to customers. It really makes downtown a destination. That may be a pipe dream in a city as large as GR, of course.

Plus, to steal from another thread....FREE PARKING!!! Living in Holland, I am completely spoiled. We tossed the parking meters onto a large trash heap over 15 years ago. The downtown merchants pay an assessment and pass the maintenance and enforcement costs on to customers. It really makes downtown a destination. That may be a pipe dream in a city as large as GR, of course.

I have to partially disagree with the thought that free parking is the answer to downtown merchant troubles. You can't free park your way into an exciting, interesting, and stable downtown. If you provide close, free parking for everyone who wants it, you would have... the suburbs :( . While you do need some close and/or free or cheap parking, since there will be those who will always insist on driving their cars everywhere, you also need to provide viable alternative transportation (light rail, trolleys) in and around the downtown area. The downtown also needs to be a destination, someplace people want to be; the urban experience is as important, if not more so than the goods and services people are coming for- and parking lots do nothing but subtract from that experience.

WifeWiferson and I had a night out DT last Friday and had a heck of a time finding free parking.

Sure we could've paid $6.50 to park in the Arena lots or structures, or at Monroe Center, but we're budgeting and didn't want to pay.

A rail system connecting DT to the lakeshore, would have removed the stress of finding cheap parking. I could've spent more money on drinks (because I wouldn't have to drive home) and I could've stayed later, without the worry of falling asleep at the wheel.

A Metra rail system. I would use it everyday and twice on Friday nights.

I'd like to see that stupid parking ramp across from Louis Benton get demolished. What a waste of prime real estate!

I would also like to see the management of DeVos place fix the blue lights that run along the edge of the building. Several lengths of the blue lighting is burned out and/or not working, and it looks like crap at night. A $200 million facility, and they can't get the lights to work properly? C'mon people, get with the program! This place is supposed to be "world-class"! <_<

And speaking of lighting, I would like to see the lights on the blue pedestrian bridge that goes between the GVSU Eberhard Ctr and Plaza Towers get fixed so a third of the bulbs aren't burned out. Again, it looks cheap. Fix it please!

End rant! :P

I would like to see a planted center divider on South Division, south of Wealthy.

The removal of all those ugly highway style street lamps on S. Division'

A total makeover of Boston Square similar to what is taking place in the uptown area.

A change in the ITP bus stop signs. A simple bus icon in a circle is great. You dont need the telephone number and website too. That is just bad design.

Places that people can post flyers, similar to what they have in Europe, so people dont have to stick them all over everything else.

1. Rip out the below grade parking structures for the 5/3 bank building and the mess under Calder Plaza.

2. Install a world class Aquarium and science center.

3. Rip up the concrete on Calder Plaza and replace with green; ie grass and bushes. Events can still be held on Calder plaza if there is grass, concrete is not necessary.

Maybe :

• Jobs for television producers/professionals

• Light rail, no not rapid bus or old timey Trolley.

• Encouraging the film industry to look at GR

• A Grand sign saying you are now entering Metro Grand Rapids or the City of Grand Rapids on 131 or 196

• Whitecaps play downtown, don't know where to stick them though.

• Cranes higher then 250 feet

• A cooperative of business owners promoting our newly installed light rail system for the perfect mode of transportation. :)

• After the Mystery Development is underway new investment comes bringing a need for more entertainment

• 'Think GREEN' campaign promoting Grand Rapids to worldwide investment proving the move to environment sustainability a sound investment and business model.

• Maybe just that one 400 footer...

Just sayin'

I'd like to see that stupid parking ramp across from Louis Benton get demolished. What a waste of prime real estate!

Amen

And speaking of lighting, I would like to see the lights on the blue pedestrian bridge that goes between the GVSU Eberhard Ctr and Plaza Towers get fixed so a third of the bulbs aren't burned out. Again, it looks cheap. Fix it please!

Talked with a friend in the DDA last year about the blue bridge lighting, he said they've installed LED lights on all of the bridges (they won't burn out for 20 years), but that they have to rewire the blue bridge before LED lights can be installed. It's coming, probably this year.

Hey reporting here from europe... i was just in munich and they have the most fantastic light rail. it goes out of town for miles upon miles. it was cheap, quiet, fast, and reliable. WE NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update gvsusean! Just got back from Chicago and rode the blue line from O'Hare to our hotel downtown and back the next day. The amount of development along the blue line is astounding! :blink: Trains and stations could be cleaner, but friendly riders. I think they could do some cosmetic upgrades and raise (maybe double) their price from the $2 they charge.

I would DIG something like that here in GR.

Hey reporting here from europe... i was just in munich and they have the most fantastic light rail. it goes out of town for miles upon miles. it was cheap, quiet, fast, and reliable. WE NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!

most definitely, i was in munich in january and definitely liked it.... if you get a chance to go to berlin, i was thinking more along the lines of their U-bahn and S-bahn tracks. Those trains definitely let me stay out longer and spend more money at that city.....

Archived