Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transplant

What Fortune 500 Company should the Triangle go after?

Progress Energy is the only Fortune 500 company that the triangle has. Progress is one of the best corporate citizens.

Who (or what type of company) should the Raleigh and Durham leaders go after?

There are a couple of Fortune 500 companies Raleigh is currently trying to recruit although no names have been released as of yet.

I would guess a company with its R&D facilities in RTP would be more likely to relocate to the area. Maybe not.

International Business Machines is IBM, correct?

North CAROLINA-based companies from the list

State Rank Company (National Rank) Revenues($ millions) City

1 Bank of America Corp. (18) 63,324.0 Charlotte

2 Lowe's (43) 36,464.0 Mooresville

3 Wachovia Corp. (65) 28,067.0 Charlotte

4 Duke Energy (86) 22,779.0 Charlotte

5 Nucor (189) 11,376.8 Charlotte

6 Progress Energy (229) 9,772.0 Raleigh

7 Sonic Automotive (272) 7,886.0 Charlotte

8 BB&T Corp. (312) 6,666.0 Winston-Salem

9 Reynolds American (321) 6,437.0 Winston-Salem

10 VF (334) 6,054.5 Greensboro

11 SPX (345) 5,795.6 Charlotte

12 Family Dollar Stores (373) 5,281.9 Matthews

13 Goodrich (408) 4,724.5 Charlotte

14 Jefferson-Pilot (461) 4,102.1 Greensboro

15 Laboratory Corp. of America (558) 3,084.8 Burlington

16 Pantry (577) 2,942.5 Sanford

17 Ruddick (584) 2,868.6 Charlotte

18 Carlisle (654) 2,447.4 Charlotte

19 Belk (667) 2,388.3 Charlotte

20 Ingles Markets (726) 2,137.4 Black Mountain

21 Quintiles Transnational (810) 1,820.8 Durham

22 Martin Marietta Materials (832) 1,775.4 Raleigh

23 Piedmont Natural Gas (909) 1,529.7 Charlotte

I would guess a company with its R&D facilities in RTP would be more likely to relocate to the area. Maybe not.

International Business Machines is IBM, correct?

yes

It's nice Burlington and Black Mountain have Fortune 500 companies. I've seen the Lab Corp buildings but didn't realize it was hq'ed in Burlington, and always though Ingle's was hq'ed in Asheville but i guess it's just right outside.

I guess no one would offer the information on whom could be recruited until the deal is signed.

What industry (and company) who would be the best fit for the triangle? Some I thought that *could* be good are listed below. Obviously, these could be long shots! But hey, if you don't dream big, you won't get it.

High Tech: cisco, qualcomm, yahoo, google

Home builders: pulte homes, d.r. horton, kb home,

Retail: Kroger, CVS, best buy, bed-bath&beyond, dollar general, rite aid,

Industry: international paper, campbell soup, Sysco, Pepsi,

Pharmaceuticals: Wyeth,

Insurance: progressive, cigna,

Publishing: gannett publishing,

Auto retail: carmax,

Bank: sun trust,

Wyeth would be my choice and I do not have any inside info on this. I have just heard Raleigh and Richmond were in competition for an unnamed company.

Wyeth would be my choice and I do not have any inside info on this. I have just heard Raleigh and Richmond were in competition for an unnamed company.

Wyeth would seem like a good fit to me.

I look at Transplant's list and think that many of these are good firms and would likely make great additions to the region, but are most likely tied down to the communities where they "grew up."

SunTrust has a regional HQ in Durham, and I doubt there would be anything to attract their national HQ here; another example is the builders: all are active here, but not going to leave the president/founders' hometown in terms of their HQ unless the leadership decides it wants to move to this area.

Seems that if you have, as with RBC, a merger that creates a larger entity that needs to relocate to a larger community, Raleigh might have a shot. Or maybe if a pharma or biotech company wants to take advantage of the growing agglomeration of similar industries?

Well, if SAS goes public that is another Fortune 500 company there but I don't think they will for awhile (hopefully and thankfully).

Don't have the full list...but isn't Glaxo-Smith-Klein a f-500 company...already wellestablished in RTP.

and By the way I pass by the Wythe facility every week in Richmond....Anybody need me to stop and pick them up some Advil, Dimetapp or some Robitussin? Of course some of these(Robitussin) is actually made in Madison, NJ. Wythe would be a great one to have in the Triangle

North CAROLINA-based companies from the list

State Rank Company (National Rank) Revenues($ millions) City

1 Bank of America Corp. (18) 63,324.0 Charlotte

2 Lowe's (43) 36,464.0 Mooresville

3 Wachovia Corp. (65) 28,067.0 Charlotte

4 Duke Energy (86) 22,779.0 Charlotte

5 Nucor (189) 11,376.8 Charlotte

6 Progress Energy (229) 9,772.0 Raleigh

7 Sonic Automotive (272) 7,886.0 Charlotte

8 BB&T Corp. (312) 6,666.0 Winston-Salem

9 Reynolds American (321) 6,437.0 Winston-Salem

10 VF (334) 6,054.5 Greensboro

11 SPX (345) 5,795.6 Charlotte

12 Family Dollar Stores (373) 5,281.9 Matthews

13 Goodrich (408) 4,724.5 Charlotte

14 Jefferson-Pilot (461) 4,102.1 Greensboro

15 Laboratory Corp. of America (558) 3,084.8 Burlington

16 Pantry (577) 2,942.5 Sanford

17 Ruddick (584) 2,868.6 Charlotte

18 Carlisle (654) 2,447.4 Charlotte

19 Belk (667) 2,388.3 Charlotte

20 Ingles Markets (726) 2,137.4 Black Mountain

21 Quintiles Transnational (810) 1,820.8 Durham

22 Martin Marietta Materials (832) 1,775.4 Raleigh

23 Piedmont Natural Gas (909) 1,529.7 Charlotte

yes

In late 2005, Jefferson-Pilot was bought out by Lincoln Financial which is based in Philadelphia and Sara Lee of Chicago spun off their textiles into a new Fortune 500 company, Hanes Brands, which is based in Winston-Salem.

Yeah if we get any more f-500 hq's it'd be in pharma/health care, or hi tech. Unfortunately it seems that those industries are more likely to build a campus than a skyscraper. I think we might end up with some home grown biotech or software F-500 companies in the next 10-15 years.

Yeah if we get any more f-500 hq's it'd be in pharma/health care, or hi tech. Unfortunately it seems that those industries are more likely to build a campus than a skyscraper. I think we might end up with some home grown biotech or software F-500 companies in the next 10-15 years.

We don't neccessarily need a F-500 company. There are many global companies that have US headquarters in RTP. I think we have as good a shot at landing a global company's US HQs here as any. Look at RBC, it is a Canadian company.

We don't neccessarily need a F-500 company. There are many global companies that have US headquarters in RTP. I think we have as good a shot at landing a global company's US HQs here as any. Look at RBC, it is a Canadian company.

While I don't disagree that US HQs of Global Corps are nice, there is more prestige that goes along with the Global HQ of a company. There (hopefully) is additonal good will from said company to a local community.

Unfortunately, all the US HQs are in RTP. I'd like to see more of them in DT buildings, either Raleigh or Durham. I work in the Park, I can't tell you how much I would like to work DT. Any place where I could walk out the front door and stop to get a bite to eat beats jumping in my car and driving 15 min to the nightmare that is the NC-54/NC-55 intersection.

I think that downtown Raleigh should push for # 16 Pantry (577) 2,942.5 Sanford, they are so physically close, also one that I didn't see on the list,(maybe to small), is GoldenCorral restaurants. There HQ is on Gleenwood ave. :)

^ Very True. The Pantry would be a good fit. And Golden Corral could be in a place thats a bit more exciting. Not many people I've talked with even realize they're headquarters are here.

Do you think anyone would eat at a downtown Golden Corral? They could set up a restaurant that would be at the bottom of the HQs. It could be an experimental restuarant, trying out all their new dishes, etc.

I think that downtown Raleigh should push for # 16 Pantry (577) 2,942.5 Sanford, they are so physically close, also one that I didn't see on the list,(maybe to small), is GoldenCorral restaurants. There HQ is on Gleenwood ave. :)

Perhaps Raleigh shouldn't cannibalize its own state. Sanford is a small town that is likely in a much tougher struggle to survive economically than Raleigh such that the economic loss to Sanford would not be proportionate to the economic gain to Raleigh - in other words, Raleigh should pick on someone its own size.

Other cities in this state have bought out or relocated businesses from other parts of the state. I don't see why Raleigh can't do the same thing. Ultimately its up to the business if this move is in the interest of their company. See Lowes, BB&T, etc.