What Fortune 500 Company should the Triangle go after?

Transplant

Perhaps Raleigh shouldn't cannibalize its own state. Sanford is a small town that is likely in a much tougher struggle to survive economically than Raleigh such that the economic loss to Sanford would not be proportionate to the economic gain to Raleigh - in other words, Raleigh should pick on someone its own size.

Good point. However, in the event they are willing to move at all, Raleigh Should make a push for them.

I believe Hardees used to be in Rocky Mount before they move to St. Louis. I think everyone would agree that moving out of state is even worse than moving in state. Raleigh (and Durham) should be ready for, and in play for, any HQs moving.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When IBM sold their PC business, they took the HQ from Raleigh and moved to Purchase, NY and Beijing, China. They wanted the US HQ near a big city and near the IBM HQ, where many of the top PC Executives lived anyway. I read where they only had 16 people in the office in NY. I read where the CEO left and the new CEO currently lives in Singapore. He was once an IBMer who lived in the Triangle. I also think that now that the old CEO left and as Lenovo separates from IBM more and more, that HQ in Purchase, NY may not be needed.

Therefore, it would be nice for the HQs for Lenovo to be Beijing and RTP, where the "meat and potato

Good point. However, in the event they are willing to move at all, Raleigh Should make a push for them.

Yes, please don't steal The Pantry away from my hometown of Sanford! I would hope they wouldn't be willing to move anyway. Though Sanford seems to be doing fine, I agree that The Pantry relocating to Raleigh would hurt Sanford more than it would help Raleigh.

Other cities in this state have bought out or relocated businesses from other parts of the state. I don't see why Raleigh can't do the same thing. Ultimately its up to the business if this move is in the interest of their company. See Lowes, BB&T, etc.

Wachovia is another one. You're right, in that in a capitalist system, ultimately it is up to the company, but the effect on the local community shouldn't be ignored.

It would be interesting if somehow one of the two towers in the Reynolds project on the 300 block of Hillsborough Street was "Lenovo tower" for sales, marketing, etc., leaving the RTP campus they are building for R&D, top level tech support, etc.

Again, this wouldn't be a Fortune 500 company, but like RBC would more than likely be a good corporate community citizen. ThinkPads have more of a history in RTP than NY, so it makes logistical sense too.

Perhaps Raleigh shouldn't cannibalize its own state. Sanford is a small town that is likely in a much tougher struggle to survive economically than Raleigh such that the economic loss to Sanford would not be proportionate to the economic gain to Raleigh - in other words, Raleigh should pick on someone its own size.

I was thinking more in the lines of keeping some employees in Sanford, (like RBC will be keeping 1000 employees in RockyMount). But moving it's Corp HQ to downtown Raleigh. It looks good for the company and good for downtown Raleigh. Also, don't think for one minute that they aren't already being courted by other cities/states. :D

Again, showing my age, but does anyone remember back about 15-20 or so years ago when Sears was talking about moving it corporate HQ to Raleigh. I believe they were looking at the land where the Lowes is at Garner/Raleigh line where Hwy 70/401 ?? split to build a HQ. I think Raleigh was used as a nugget to get more out of Chicago, but they decided to keep it there. I could be wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

Word on the street is that Fidelity Investments may be moving major operations to RTP (5000+ jobs). Nothing solid as of yet. Also, in the rumor mill is that a couple of major internet entities will announce plans for the area (this is from the venture capital wire). If this does occur I cannot see how regional rail is not an option. There may be some other big news coming out of RTP this year. Stay tuned.

It won't be in downtown.

So True. This has RTP written all over it. This is the draw of RTP. Good central location with the airport only a few exits away and plenty of business hotels. Plus, the land is already scoped and planned. They don't have land plans without being far in the process, especially the corporate sign-offs just to get to the point. My guess is many people in RTP have been on NDA (non-disclosure agreements) for a while. I just wonder where they are in the process and if this was an early leak which could hurt our chances somewhat.

When you read the article and see how they got to the Triangle, it leads back to IBM. The best thing to happen to whole Triangle in the last 50 years was when IBM stuck their ceremonial shovel in the ground in RTP 1965. The Triangle is still benefiting.

Good for regional rail, good for the triangle. Hey good for the Canes !!!!!

Although it would mean plucking it from Winston-Salem I'd love to see Krispy Kreme move to downtown Raleigh. I have an imagine of a beautiful, modern green glass building which would look something like a gross between the new Progress Energy HQ and the future RBC HQ except slightly taller than the latter and less boxy than both.

The first floor could have a Krispy Kreme at the bottom, a really nice one with the windows where you can watch the doughnuts being made like the existing one downtown. It would be really nice inside, lots of comfortable places to sit and TVs on the wall so people could watch the morning local news... a nicer coffee selection. Pictures which display the history of the corporation inside. Maybe have Wi-Fi inside and on the tables and benches outside so people could use their laptops. Hell, an Internet Cafe like section. Krispy Kreme could do experimental marketing and products (i.e. doughnuts, coffee, etc.) there. Imagine... you're on your way to where you work downtown in the morning and you stop by Krispy Kreme before you arrive at the office to sit in a really comfortable chair have a doughnut and a nice cup of coffee while you watch the WTVD or WRAL morning news from the TV mounted on the wall as you take a little time before work to surf the web, chat on AIM or make finishing touches on that report for work from your laptop using the Wi-Fi connection inside the building.

It could easily be the focal point of the morning for downtown employees... where they all go first thing in the morning before work.

Although it would mean plucking it from Winston-Salem I'd love to see Krispy Kreme move to downtown Raleigh. I have an imagine of a beautiful, modern green glass building which would look something like a gross between the new Progress Energy HQ and the future RBC HQ except slightly taller than the latter and less boxy than both.

The first floor could have a Krispy Kreme at the bottom, a really nice one with the windows where you can watch the doughnuts being made like the existing one downtown. It would be really nice inside, lots of comfortable places to sit and TVs on the wall so people could watch the morning local news... a nicer coffee selection. Pictures which display the history of the corporation inside. Maybe have Wi-Fi inside and on the tables and benches outside so people could use their laptops. Hell, an Internet Cafe like section. Krispy Kreme could do experimental marketing and products (i.e. doughnuts, coffee, etc.) there. Imagine... you're on your way to where you work downtown in the morning and you stop by Krispy Kreme before you arrive at the office to sit in a really comfortable chair have a doughnut and a nice cup of coffee while you watch the WTVD or WRAL morning news from the TV mounted on the wall as you take a little time before work to surf the web, chat on AIM or make finishing touches on that report for work from your laptop using the Wi-Fi connection inside the building.

It could easily be the focal point of the morning for downtown employees... where they all go first thing in the morning before work.

KK is on very thin ice. It followed a selfish gameplan where the big stockholders who are the upper management went through an explosive growth period to overinflate the stock. Those guys sold a bunch of their holdings and made big bucks. Now were finding out that the books were cooked. Actually they are som far behind on their disclosures that no one really knows what their finances are.

KK sounds nice but I'd let that sinking ship stay in Winston.

JB

KK is on very thin ice. It followed a selfish gameplan where the big stockholders who are the upper management went through an explosive growth period to overinflate the stock. Those guys sold a bunch of their holdings and made big bucks. Now were finding out that the books were cooked. Actually they are som far behind on their disclosures that no one really knows what their finances are.

KK sounds nice but I'd let that sinking ship stay in Winston.

JB

I think it'll be okay, the company has just hit some rough waters but the ship will make it through. Some bad books won't be enough to sink the ship. When it makes it that'll just show how strong the company is.

This is the new part of the article, and what backs up the point I was making:

A Fresh Start

Although Krispy Kreme today looks like a company becalmed, if not sinking, some observers believe it will regain momentum. "Krispy Kreme as a company still has a lot of value in its name and in its product," says attorney Metzger. "There should be a way for the company to continue to grow the business."

With the January 2005 replacement of Livengood with Cooper, the revamped board

This is the new part of the article, and what backs up the point I was making:

I here ya but does it really make sense that a company the sells donoughts and that has 350 stores needs $225,000,000 in debt financing ? They guy they brought in to rescue it is a corporate rehabilitator who last worked at Enron. They haven't realesed any info about their books in over 15 months.

Anyways I like the donoughts and a nice new shiny store dowtoen sounds great but it is not the rising star it once was. By the way, I heard that the KK on Peace street is closing for a week for cleaning/remodeling.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...9_cooper12.html

JB

I can't believe that MeadeWestvaco chose Richmond over Raleigh for their HQ. It hurts for us to get that close and not get the prize. There are only so many of those opportunities out there. At least we were in the running. On a brighter note, this year we will have a new Fortune 1000 company here. RH Donnelley in Cary will join the ranks around the #600 mark with their purchase of Dex Media. That's as good as a new company moving here.

• 4 months later...

Archived