Prankster

83 Monroe Center - City Flats Hotel

198 posts in this topic

Just saw in the minutes from the DDA that they approved a Building Reuse Incentive Program grant for the Fox Jewelers Building last month. The person that owns it has been planning the development for quite some time. Anyone have any info on if/what/when this is going to take place?

I don't, but that would be sweet! I was just thinking the other day (I swear) about that building.

It seems like ages ago, but if I remember correctly it was to be all condos...

I believe Pinnacle Design was working on it. Maybe metrogrkid could fetch the scoop on this one.

Just saw in the minutes from the DDA that they approved a Building Reuse Incentive Program grant for the Fox Jewelers Building last month. The person that owns it has been planning the development for quite some time. Anyone have any info on if/what/when this is going to take place?

Last I remember, a few years back, seems like Terra Firma owned it. There was an Ethiopian restaurant and a Nextel distributor in the store fronts and nothing else. It is a pretty neat building on the upper floors but needs a TON of work . . . . .

From the Press archives, January 13, 2005:

The six-story Fox's building, owned by commercial real estate agent Deborah Shurlow, is expected to get a $1.8 million overhaul for use as condominiums and apartments on its upper floors, with commercial space at street level. The state granted a single business tax credit worth $189,500.

Hopefully this is being revived. And yes, by all means SAVE THAT SIGN!:

84866311_9ec6eef507_b.jpg

From the Press archives, January 13, 2005:

The six-story Fox's building, owned by commercial real estate agent Deborah Shurlow, is expected to get a $1.8 million overhaul for use as condominiums and apartments on its upper floors, with commercial space at street level. The state granted a single business tax credit worth $189,500.

Hmmmm, that was a year ago. Wonder if that is still her plans, or if a different use is in store. And by all means, save the sign, it is a Grand Rapids landmark.

I love that building. I know Mr. Fox, and he has just been sick about watching it go downhill. Hopefully, they make it wonderful.

Here's another find from the Press archives, March 9, 2004.

"The building's facade will be preserved and windows similar to the ones that originally adorned it will be installed, said Tom Dowling, an architect with Design Pinnacle Group in Grand Rapids."

"Shurlow said she would like to restore the Fox sign as part of her renovation of the former jewelry store space, but the cost of doing so could be prohibitive." :(

Cost prohibitive?? It just looks like it needs a little spit-n-polish. :huh: Maybe it's not structurally sound.

Maybe it's not structurally sound.

:huh: Drywall screws and duct tape seem to fix most things i have a problem with

Last I remember, a few years back, seems like Terra Firma owned it.

Yep, all true. Never got my plan off the ground, became REAL busy on the brass works right after having bought this thing w/ my bro-in-law.

Sold it to Tom Herrington, his story basically same as mine (disclaimer: with regard to this building only and not other business practices) and he sold it to Deb S. who still owns it. Deb has spent the last year and a half on a HUGE project; believe me you will thank her if it happens.

She has the capacity, energy, and vision to pull this off; she's just short on the "time" part. It'll happen.

I love that building. I know Mr. Fox, and he has just been sick about watching it go downhill. Hopefully, they make it wonderful.

Hasn't gone downhill one bit. Just vacant, and that will change.

Some of the interior demo has been done. The roof is fine so there's been no water in the building or anything to make it go 'downhill.' It's just been in neutral for a while.

The floor plates are pretty hard to work with for multi-units on the upper floors because you do not have the ability to add windows on either side. It's a bowling alley with windows at the front and back.

Structurally this thing is beyond solid.

The bigges challenge will be cutting a new elevator and code compliant stairway in; the rest of it's super easy.

Yah terra firma you can't torment us with hints like that! :P

The bigges challenge will be cutting a new elevator and code compliant stairway in; the rest of it's super easy.

Yeah, everything except getting any daylight way back into the bowling alley.

I looked at this building way back when Tom Harrington still owned it. He described the alley as smelling like "bum urine"

The floor plates are pretty hard to work with for multi-units on the upper floors because you do not have the ability to add windows on either side. It's a bowling alley with windows at the front and back.

Maybe a small atruim starting on floor two? I know, that would mean more construction costs, but it would probably solve the problem.

But then how would you protect privacy between floors? (thinking of residential units). Unless you walled in the atrium with 6' or 7' tall walls with transom windows on top. That way, you can't see between floors, but you can have the natural light?

The Press is reporting that one mystery project that Shurlow has been working on will begin soon, the Fox Building on Monroe Center :yahoo:

This should be an exciting smaller project. I hope they put more thought into the facade than Rockford Construction did on their buildings. And PLEASE, keep the Fox sign. It is a classic that should be restored and reused!

Joe

yeah it would be really nice if they could renivate it into something with housing in the upper levels and retail on the street level and still keep the sign up, theres not too many of those types of landmarks left on that street