83 Monroe Center - City Flats Hotel

Prankster

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw in the minutes from the DDA that they approved a Building Reuse Incentive Program grant for the Fox Jewelers Building last month. The person that owns it has been planning the development for quite some time. Anyone have any info on if/what/when this is going to take place?

Last I remember, a few years back, seems like Terra Firma owned it. There was an Ethiopian restaurant and a Nextel distributor in the store fronts and nothing else. It is a pretty neat building on the upper floors but needs a TON of work . . . . .

From the Press archives, January 13, 2005:

The six-story Fox's building, owned by commercial real estate agent Deborah Shurlow, is expected to get a $1.8 million overhaul for use as condominiums and apartments on its upper floors, with commercial space at street level. The state granted a single business tax credit worth $189,500.

From the Press archives, January 13, 2005:

The six-story Fox's building, owned by commercial real estate agent Deborah Shurlow, is expected to get a $1.8 million overhaul for use as condominiums and apartments on its upper floors, with commercial space at street level. The state granted a single business tax credit worth $189,500.

Hmmmm, that was a year ago. Wonder if that is still her plans, or if a different use is in store. And by all means, save the sign, it is a Grand Rapids landmark.

Here's another find from the Press archives, March 9, 2004.

"The building's facade will be preserved and windows similar to the ones that originally adorned it will be installed, said Tom Dowling, an architect with Design Pinnacle Group in Grand Rapids."

"Shurlow said she would like to restore the Fox sign as part of her renovation of the former jewelry store space, but the cost of doing so could be prohibitive." :(

• 2 weeks later...

Last I remember, a few years back, seems like Terra Firma owned it.

Yep, all true. Never got my plan off the ground, became REAL busy on the brass works right after having bought this thing w/ my bro-in-law.

Sold it to Tom Herrington, his story basically same as mine (disclaimer: with regard to this building only and not other business practices) and he sold it to Deb S. who still owns it. Deb has spent the last year and a half on a HUGE project; believe me you will thank her if it happens.

She has the capacity, energy, and vision to pull this off; she's just short on the "time" part. It'll happen.

I love that building. I know Mr. Fox, and he has just been sick about watching it go downhill. Hopefully, they make it wonderful.

Hasn't gone downhill one bit. Just vacant, and that will change.

Some of the interior demo has been done. The roof is fine so there's been no water in the building or anything to make it go 'downhill.' It's just been in neutral for a while.

The floor plates are pretty hard to work with for multi-units on the upper floors because you do not have the ability to add windows on either side. It's a bowling alley with windows at the front and back.

Structurally this thing is beyond solid.

The bigges challenge will be cutting a new elevator and code compliant stairway in; the rest of it's super easy.

The bigges challenge will be cutting a new elevator and code compliant stairway in; the rest of it's super easy.

Yeah, everything except getting any daylight way back into the bowling alley.

I looked at this building way back when Tom Harrington still owned it. He described the alley as smelling like "bum urine"

The floor plates are pretty hard to work with for multi-units on the upper floors because you do not have the ability to add windows on either side. It's a bowling alley with windows at the front and back.

Maybe a small atruim starting on floor two? I know, that would mean more construction costs, but it would probably solve the problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived