83 Monroe Center - City Flats Hotel

Prankster

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody have any updates on the progress of starting construction work on this project?

I'd love to see this project get moving!! Thought it was going to start awhile ago?

Whats up...

Isn't Shurlow doing this? Probably just waiting for that big commission check to come in from the mystery developer... :D

• 1 month later...

I happen to know for a fact that Shurlow is waiting on a few estimates from an un-known, yet local construction company....NOT Rockford Construction, thank god. She plans on getting started on this soon but overall plans for the building are still preliminary. The gutting ~ seen in snapshot ~ took place quite awhile ago and the building is scary inside to say the least....hope she picks the right team for the job.

This would be a GREAT location for any retailer (hint, hint) And condo's / apts as well would be very attractive, I would think, in that area. Any other idea's anyone?

I happen to know for a fact that Shurlow is waiting on a few estimates from an un-known, yet local construction company....NOT Rockford Construction, thank god.

It's probably the Architect Tom Dowling. He fancies himself a design/build company. He was going to do the construction before they shuttered the building.

No offense to Mr. Dowling, but, I've seen one too many an architect try to take on the construction of projects like this, and fail....miserably. This is a historic building renovation of sorts, (I have a personal history with this building) so, this will be a pretty indepth project for whomever tackles it. Many a code to abide by. Personally, I would hire a professional contractor who has completed similar projects to do a project as extensive as this. Wasn't Dowling a residential architect anyway? Hmmm........wouldn't want to see this project start...and stop...again because somebody got in over their head. It's sad because I feel that some owners don't understand that the bottom line when choosing a contractor, especially in a case like this, should never be only about price.....

No offense to Mr. Dowling, but, I've seen one too many an architect try to take on the construction of projects like this, and fail....miserably. This is a historic building renovation of sorts, (I have a personal history with this building) so, this will be a pretty indepth project for whomever tackles it. Many a code to abide by. Personally, I would hire a professional contractor who has completed similar projects to do a project as extensive as this. Wasn't Dowling a residential architect anyway? Hmmm........wouldn't want to see this project start...and stop...again because somebody got in over their head. It's sad because I feel that some owners don't understand that the bottom line when choosing a contractor, especially in a case like this, should never be only about price.....

i could see that place being a jazz club, i dont know why i just can

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I happen to know for a fact that Shurlow is waiting on a few estimates from an un-known, yet local construction company....NOT Rockford Construction, thank god.

Are you sure about that? :whistling: I hear we may start to see some demo work soon on this project. And something about some massive safes in the upper floors that need to come out?

• 9 months later...

Found this posting on Craigslist: [http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rfs/335716148.html]

Reply to: [email protected]

Date: 2007-05-21, 9:56PM EDT

"Location, location, location" Fox's building getting totally renovated this fall, Throw your New Years party on your new rooftop deck! Only 12-16 residences- 1 bedrooms from $119,900, with den from $169,900, and with 2 baths fr $229,900. 12-14' ceilings, exposed brick walls, wood floors, roof top deck with hot tub and BBQ. Adjacent, enclosed parking available & heated paver brick sidewalk on Monroe. Short walk to new Museum, Van Andel arena, and all the bars and restaurants!

Any word on this?

Googling the email address reveals another Craigslist post in the help wanted section. Has anyone heard about this being on the Parade of Homes? Can't wait to see it.

cleanup/handyman needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: [email protected]

Date: 2007-05-23, 7:42AM EDT

we are going to clean up the Fox's bldg on Monroe Center for the June 8th Parade of Homes.

We will:

remove the osb windows covering the windows,

wash windows

remove aluminum frame for old awning

remove debris on the first floor (floors 2-5 can be done after the 8th if we run out of time)

erect 8' tall freestanding/temp walls with osb or drywall for a backdrop to set about 10' of windows

spraypaint the area between the windows and temp walls, including the concrete floor.

If this is something you would like to do, pls e-mail back or call after 10 am wed morning

248.626.8890 #216

ETA: Here's the website for the company: http://www.awardwinnerhomes.com/

While I can't find it now, I swear there was a user on UP with that same login name, dlsteuer

I think you're thinking rleutheuser. He posted a few times in the RDV/Christman thread.

Let's hope something happens soon. The FOX building has been "on again off again" for a few years now.

http://www.amybernhard.com/Nav.aspx/Page=%...ageID%3d1976540

While I can appreciate the desire to save a buck, somehow it seems as though this would not be the best-possible venue in which to promote the pending development.

IMHO

Especially since Keller Williams seems to be helping with the marketing of it. At least that's who this Amy person works for.

Some updates on this from the "horses" mouth, and some pics:

The FOX sign is staying!!! :alc: Plywood has been painted!

525261529_0981afeff9.jpg

Although it may get tweaked a little bit (Fox Lofts' Logo)

Info is up, including some preliminary floorplans:

525261533_3e247e842f.jpg

The metal frame will also come off to expose windows, hopefully that haven't been stripped of all ornamentation:

525261537_36f931e18b.jpg

The ground floor will remain retail, and they are in talks with a couple of potential tenants. They may host an informal tour for us soon, so keep your keyboards close.

Thanks AB! :thumbsup:

Archived