83 Monroe Center - City Flats Hotel

Prankster

From my experience dragt, I'm guessing the small back units, with not a lot of natural light, are a concern for the developer. The units similar to those in Union Square (that faced the inner courtyards) were the last to sell (and I don't even think they are all sold yet). People can put up with small spaces if they are at least well lit so they don't feel like an even smaller space.

A two-bedroom two-bath unit with a den/office would work very well for a couple where one or both work from home.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my experience dragt, I'm guessing the small back units, with not a lot of natural light, are a concern for the developer. The units similar to those in Union Square (that faced the inner courtyards) were the last to sell (and I don't even think they are all sold yet). People can put up with small spaces if they are at least well lit so they don't feel like an even smaller space.

We've never seen anything like this on Monroe Center, am I wrong? Certainly not recently. I predict near 100% pre-sold as-is!

The back units aren't really all that bad from a lighting perspective... and if you want views go have your coffee on the roof deck, i'm just sayin...

We are a spoiled lot here in GR if 800 is unacceptable for 2! In most urban areas 800 square feet for 2 would be considered a luxury (and would cost at least twice as much). This is what it takes to make things affordable to a younger crowd, and I for one am very happy to see it. there are a ton homes in Alger Heights that are only around 800sq ft (with a lot less effecient layouts). Let's not design every project for the married couple moving out of quarter-million-suburban-land!

I agree.

We've never seen anything like this on Monroe Center, am I wrong? Certainly not recently. I predict near 100% pre-sold as-is!

The back units aren't really all that bad from a lighting perspective... and if you want views go have your coffee on the roof deck, i'm just sayin...

I'll send you a PM dragt. :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic project.

I think there a lot of single people or young couples with no kids that will jump all over this affordable way to get into the core. I have two single friends that have set up walk-throughs already! They've been renting out in grandville/wyoming and have been wanting to buy a condo DT but till now only the efficiencies where in their range. Hillmount was a little outside the location they wanted...

Does one of those said persons happen to be gay and love photography. :dontknow::thumbsup:

I'll send you a PM dragt. :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic project.

No natural light would be a deal breaker for just about everyone I know.

To sell an enclosed box is a little strange for my tastes.

You're right Andy, this might be a non-issue. Apparently reservations are going very well here already. Not bad for a craigslist ad (and some good exposure here). :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a group of people going through the Fox Bldg last night. They looked like they meant business. Anyone know what that was?

I saw them, too. Looked like a group of rough characters to me...they probably broke in to escape the loud music and motorcycles.

OK, so what's the scoop? What were your impressions? My only concern is that they would have little rooms and the light for the units in the back. Weren't they like 750 square feet? I wonder if you can combine units; how cool would that be to have a 1400 sq. foot unit facing Monroe Center?

OK, so what's the scoop? What were your impressions? My only concern is that they would have little rooms and the light for the units in the back. Weren't they like 750 square feet? I wonder if you can combine units; how cool would that be to have a 1400 sq. foot unit facing Monroe Center?

It's a really cool building. No, it doesn't sound like you can combine units, as they are trying to keep the price point low. Interestingly, I think Amy said that there are more units reserved on the backside than the Monroe Center side (and one unit on the top floor with an awesome vaulted skylight in the ceiling has a reservation and a backup reservation). Once you get up past floor 3 or 4, the backside opens up and you can see out over the other building rooftops.

It reminds me a lot of Union Square when they first opened the model/sales office there. Rough shape, but it really has a lot of unique skylights, high ceilings, excellent views, and great potential. You just have to have some vision. :thumbsup:

The building needs a lot of work. It's been vacant for about 10 years!?! Amy (LA) said that the law maxes them at 8 people living on each floor, which may have something to do with unit size as well??? It's why they market them as 1bed w/ den versus 2 bed. Very cool project that I am very happy about. Great improvement to the part of Monroe Center that needs it most.

Yeah, if you're somone who can't see the potential in a property - seeing the project at this stage might be a little scary. I loved the high ceilings and the HUGE windows facing Monroe Ctr. My favorite part though had to be the vaulted skylight situation! So cool! The project has a great urban feel and I really appreciate that they're catering to a niche who may be looking for something at a moderate price point. I can't wait to see it again when it's done!

*fish

No interior photos (just think run-down old building with LOTS of potential) but here's some shots from the future deck on the roof. It was beautiful up there with a nice cool breeze on a hot night! Sorry about the low quality pics - they're from my camera phone.

Monroe Center to the east...

661515173_8ae6798dae.jpg

Monroe Center to the west and the blues...

661514215_81334f515e.jpg

Steketee's (Blue Cross) Building across the street...

662367254_0b1e8ec1b7.jpg

To the South... (San Chez!)

661516225_593f06bf50.jpg

No interior photos (just think run-down old building with LOTS of potential) but here's some shots from the future deck on the roof. It was beautiful up there with a nice cool breeze on a hot night! Sorry about the low quality pics - they're from my camera phone.

Man...my camera phone stinks.

Archived