Detroit Life Building to be Renovated

Allan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the sign is talking about the UA site. It does say GCP frontage. Perhaps they speak of the Tuller lot. It is owned by Ilitch and has GCP frontage.

Ok, I don't know what the Ilitches are smoking, but the UA block is not 5 acres. Not even close, in fact. More like 3/4 of one acre. My parents' backyard is bigger than that!

The Tuller lot isn't 5 acres either. The entire block is not even close to that size. The only way you're going to get 5 acres around there is by combing lots, closing streets, and tearing down buildings to create some massive superblock development site. Maybe if you combined the UA, Tuller, & Statler lots and closed Bagley off you'd approach something that size. You would still have to contend with the People Mover track running through the middle of the site though, unless you paid millions and millions of dollars to reroute the track (though I suppose it could go through, like it does through Cobo).

Who knows? The Ilitches are probably sitting about the Fox Theater reading this and wondering what on earth we're all thinking.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Rb, see post #23....

It sounds like the Fish Paper hasn't learned anything more from the Ilitches than we have. LOL. Then again, that is not surprising, since they sit around and read online forums to find out about the new developments. We don't have any real newspapers in this town anymore...

I know for a fact that the Detroit Life Building is a go.

I keep thinking that maybe they put the UA sign up so that hopefully some developers will see the sign during the Super Bowl and will become interested in purchasing the property. It says development opportunity, and let's face it: the Ilitch family is not a developer. They own more property than they know what to do with.

Here is what the Ilitches own...

Structures:

138 W Columbia - Hotel Vermont

28 W Montcalm - Fox Parking Deck

2301 Woodward - Hockeytown Cafe

2211 Woodward - Fox Theater Building

2210 Park - Detroit Building

81 W Columbia - Blenheim Apartments

150 Bagley - United Artists Building

Parking Lots & Vacant Land:

501 Park

2305 Woodward

2323 Park

119 W Fisher

421 W Fisher

2301 Cass

67 W Montcalm

127 W Montcalm

143 W Montcalm

231 W Montcalm

229 W Montcalm

66 W Columbia

2211 Cass

2203 Cass

437 W Columbia

465 W Columbia

2154 W Grand River

2171 Cass

117 W Columbia

101 W Columbia

2123 Woodward

100 W Elizabeth

216 W Elizabeth

401 W Elizabeth

237 W Elizabeth

285 W Adams

147 W Fisher

161 W Fisher

211 W Fisher

405 W Fisher

146 W Montcalm

2335 Cass

201 W Montcalm

100 W Columbia

2130 Cass

168 W Columbia

2100 W Grand River

100 E Adams

327 John R

200 Madison

242 Madison

244 Madison

246 Madison

I'm sure it will look great from a distant, but what about right in front of the building? Will it conflict with the sign down the front? The current sign is very retro looking, and the new one sounds very modern. I could see them clashing, especially in terms of color.

My guess is that they wont take it down until they have something lined up. The developer they find is gonna know going in to it that taking down that building wont stop the development at all. I just hope that they can either keep the tower or incorporate the facade into a new building.

I am trying to find someone to confirm this, but this is what I have heard regarding the UA:

The Ilitches are indifferent as to whether the UA is renovated or demolished. The hope is that they can find a developer to redevelop the UA as a part of this. If a developer cannot be found, the building will be razed, and the land will be offered with the rest of the parcel.

If a developer cannot be found, the building will be razed, and the land will be offered with the rest of the parcel.

I don't like this part, but right now I am so happy with the Ilitchs I am trying not to think of the chances of this. I am still a little leery about all of this, but the official announcement took some of that away. Now whether or not that was their plan, I don't know. But I just want them to find a developer for this huge Parcel. The second thing that would be really nice would be to see some proposals for the Madison-Lenox site come out. I can't wait to see the new tower on the Fox. Are there any dates on when the renovation of the Detroit Life Building will begin? I am going to wait until after all of this is over to pride to the Ilitchs. I give my best wishes to them though.

Archived