Detroit Life Building to be Renovated

Allan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised if they planned anything over 15 stories for the site in the next five years.

To be truthful, barring a few empty buildings in the downtown area, I'm not much of a preservationist. My qualm with tearing down all of these buildings is that we know for a fact that there won't be a fair exchange. I mean, whatever we may see on the Hudson's Block, for instance, will be able to fill the block like the Hudson's did, or offer more pedestrian activity. I guess I have to be realistic and recognize that those days are gone for just about every single city in the country, but exchanging a possible 10-15 story building for one that stood twice that height and size just doesn't seem like a fair trade. And, I fear that is what we are going to see at Grand Circus Park.

Hey, does anyone want to draw up a skyscraperpage-like fantasy diagram for some of the empty sites downtown? If I ever get the patience back I may try to draw up my vision for the empty sites downtown.

The Statler site could use a good 20-80 story tower. No, I'm not dreaming, I'm really serious...80 floors yes. Like that will ever happen. The UA parcel is so much larger than I thought. I really hope a developer turns up.

I think anything over 20 on GCP would be gravy. I think GCP would finally reach its potential if it had a few occupied buildings over 20 stories fronting it. I know the Illitchs havent done anything yet but im just glad that their announcement gives us the opportunity to speculate what Detroit is capable of.

I could go for some more height in GCP too. If I remember correctly, the Biltmore Hotel that was set to replace to Tuller would've been in the 45 story area. It would be interesting to see a building of that size built there now.

I agree that GCP does need a new building that is 20 stories or higher, but what would you rather see..... a high quality 15 story building or a 40 story building with no character what-so-ever? I don't really know why, but it just feels like we will see a proposal come out pretty quick for one of these sites. Did the announcement say that the Madison-Lenox Site already had proposals or did it say they were looking for proposals?

I think the earliest we will hear anything after the Super Bowl is maybe this summer. The city and Illitch are really going to have to sell these sites to people. And its tough to design a 40 story building without any character unless its just a box. I think they are still looking for proposals for M-L.

WOW. Great find Allan. That would have been an amazing addition to GCP and Detroit.

rbdsport - Illitch likes collecting money from his surface parking lots. I hope though that somewhere down the line he decides to develope that area and expand our entertainment district. ESPN Zone anyone?

WOW. Great find Allan. That would have been an amazing addition to GCP and Detroit.

Yes, some grand hotel that'll rival or surpass Statler would be awesome.

Illitch likes collecting money from his surface parking lots.

I'm a bit sickened by the amount of land dedicated to surface parking as visible on that satellite photo.

:shok:

But, he really doesn't collect anymore money off of his surface lots than he does his structures, do he? Is it the fact that he has to pay less taxes on the surface lots? I also don't get why he doesn't just consolidate his parking into a few giant structures, unless he simply wants to the land for his children to keep it in the family. I think he realizes how much figurative gold is in those lots...well, I guess I just answered my own question. lol

I think its just less of a hastle to be honest. Illitch has said that hes not in the real estate business and until Atonis' actions as of late that has been the case. Surface lots are easy to maintain compared to structures with tenants. I think it would be smart of the Illitch's, if they wish to expand their entertainment empire, to build on those lots facing Woodward. Maybe Atonis will realize this and do something in the near future.

Yes.

I wonder, though, if he'd prefer that Comerica Park is visible from Woodward instead.

I do think that it'd be great if something was built there - though not sure what.

I'd also think that there'd be a way to have at least the main gate (the one with the giant tiger in front) could be made visible from Woodward even if those lots were developed.

Hmm..

How about a green space that could be used for festivals, etc. during the summer.. or even an out door movie theater in between two buildings that'll lead to the main gate?

ALL of Lower Woodward needs a 'canyon effect' IMO. Whatever goes on those lots must contain much ground floor retail. That side of Woodward should be a showcase. I could imagine a fancy auto dealership, and some very high-end retail perhaps topped by office space. I don't see residential working at any of these lots.

I think its just less of a hastle to be honest. Illitch has said that hes not in the real estate business and until Atonis' actions as of late that has been the case.

Ilitch's only interest in real estate seems to be blocking competetion(UA & Adams) and expanding his sport/entertainment empire( lots around the Fox) Atanas had want to do this a decade earlier but was turned down. Otherwise he's shown no interest in putting money into his land parking decks aren't cheap. The only reason he's doing this now is the increaseing scrutiny on his holdings when downtown was half empty it wasn't an issue given so many other empty building, but now with many of the surronding buildings being rehabbed they stand out a lot more.

Here's a quote from one of the press releases:

"2006 Announced plans to refurbish The Detroit Life Building on Park Avenue, co-market the United Artists Building and re-develop the Fine Arts Building"

So I take it that means the the Fine Arts is definitely coming down but they still have interest in at least trying to refurbish the UA building. I assume co-market means that they and the city of Detroit are working together on attracting any developers?

Actually, the release goes into detail to say that Olympia Development has retained SmithGroup to design a re-use for the building, and that they are consulting with Preservation Wayne on re-use ideas:

http://www.ilitchholdings.com/Portals/0/IL...ENT_EFFORTS.pdf

I still have serious doubts about the Fine Arts, but the release gives the apperance that they want to search for renovation possibilities.

The with the theatre being demolished you could demolish everything behind the Adams facade and build new units on the Elizabeth and Adams side of the alley. As usual the problem with this is cost it isn't cheap to do a facadectomy the surgical demolition and bracing the facade while they build new. But LoMR demolished a building on Woodward mid block and built new that certainly wasn't cheap so that give some hope for the FA

I hope that they can at least keep the facade of the Fine Arts building. Its a great piece of architecture and would leave another large gaping hole in GCP.

And its going to be hard to find a developer for the UA site when the property is so jagged. I know the upper left is a surface parking lot but what is that little pie slice facing Statler? Theres a picture in the Det News article of the property.

I know the upper left is a surface parking lot but what is that little pie slice facing Statler? Theres a picture in the Det News article of the property.

Looks like just a mistake by Det New's graphic artist. There's nothing there in that shape or otherwise that would not be considered part of the available lot.

[edit]

Just for completeness sake.. currently there's a small surface parking lot on that side of the UA building that's rectangular in shape, but again, I'd consider it part of the entire lot.

Archived