Detroit Life Building to be Renovated

Allan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Since I've seen workers going in and out of the building for several weeks, it is time to resurrect this topic. The lights are back on inside....at least on the second floor. It's nice to see this progressing, even if it is progressly rather slowly.

I believe the fire escape will be retained as a part of the renovation. That's what the original plans called for, but I'm not sure if they've changed. The other option is adding a second internal stair, which would take more space away from the small floor plates of the building.

I know they are still studying usages, but I'm surprise that they are leaning towards more office space. I'm not complaining, but you'd have think they'd use this one for residential space considering it's roughly around the same size as the nearby Iodent Building which was convereted to residential space.

From what I was told...although this was about 2 months before the renovation was first announced...the ground floor will be renovated immediately, and the upper floors will be white-boxed for now while they decide what to do with them.

The Iodent across the street has also been white-boxed upstairs. We'll see how quickly things happen. There's an awful lot of work happening on Park Avenue right now. The bar next to Cliff Bell's is nearing completion, the Women's City Club is getting a facelift, and they are working on the Colony Club building.

Archived