Blu-ray vs HD DVD

Mith242

What does everyone think about these two formats? Anyone have any prefrences from what they've heard so far or have any predictions which one will win out? Sounds like this will end up being another VHS/Beta fight. From what I've heard most of Hollywood has endorsed Blu-ray. While Microsoft is endorsing HD DVD. I haven't looked into it a whole lot yet. But from what I gather HD DVD uses better compression technology. While Blu-ray uses a blue laser instead of red, which works better because blue is a shorter wavelength than red.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HD DVD's will hold 30 GB on dual layer disk, they still use red lasers. Blu-Ray disks will max out at 50 GB on a dual layer disk using the superior blue laser, but they are researching 100 GB 4 layer disks and 200 GB 8 layer disks. Blue-Ray is also being used in the PS3, which is why it's release is later than the Xbox 360. I definately prefer Blu-Ray. Also, Blu-Ray disks have an ultra hard coating that HD DVD's lack, they are supposedly "Able to withstand the attack of a skrewdriver."

I work for a CD & DVD duplication/replication company, and personally, I am putting my money on Blu-Ray. Consumers will want the additional space and flexibility that Bly-ray will bring. Blu-ray seems to have more support from the studios out there, and production of Blu-ray discs is already beginning.

I could be eating my words in a few months, but Blu-ray has the clear cut advantage.

HD DVD's will hold 30 GB on dual layer disk, they still use red lasers. Blu-Ray disks will max out at 50 GB on a dual layer disk using the superior blue laser, but they are researching 100 GB 4 layer disks and 200 GB 8 layer disks. Blue-Ray is also being used in the PS3, which is why it's release is later than the Xbox 360. I definately prefer Blu-Ray. Also, Blu-Ray disks have an ultra hard coating that HD DVD's lack, they are supposedly "Able to withstand the attack of a skrewdriver."

I hadn't heard anything about the hard coating on the disks. That sounds great, wish someone had thought of that beforehand. :D

^ Indeed. It's all going to come down to who does the best job marketing their product.

As a side note: I don't know about Sony's marketing as of late, especially with the 'cheese you can listen to' commercial. It makes me want to put my foot through the TV.

I can see that being annoying to people but I guess it doesn't bother me anywhere as much as a lot of other commercials do.

HD-DVD already has one thing going for it, name recognition.

A lot of people know what HD is, and even more know what a DVD is, combine the two, and you've got cost free marketing. "HD-DVD... that must mean better then a DVD!" That same consumer will then look at something called blue-ray and think, "This sounds too new, and it only works on a PS3?" or (knowing Sony) "Dang, Blue-Ray is expensive, yet HD-DVD is much less... I'm going HD-DVD."

My bets are on HD-DVD. even if Blue-ray is purportedly better. and if they go x amount of layers? thats going to drive people up the wall! one pause in a movie on a DL-DVD is enough thanks :P

isn't it true that DVDs will work on HD-DVD players but not Blu-ray players? If this is true then HD-DVD will definitely have an advantage due to backward compatibility.
Not true. Reportedly, they will be compatible with both. Blu-ray actually has the upper-hand with backround compatability because it is possible to put both a regular DVD and a Blu-ray DVD on separate layers of the disc, which holds an advantage over HD-DVD's solution: make a two-sided disc for both types of content.

HD-DVD already has one thing going for it, name recognition.

A lot of people know what HD is, and even more know what a DVD is, combine the two, and you've got cost free marketing. "HD-DVD... that must mean better then a DVD!" That same consumer will then look at something called blue-ray and think, "This sounds too new, and it only works on a PS3?" or (knowing Sony) "Dang, Blue-Ray is expensive, yet HD-DVD is much less... I'm going HD-DVD."

My bets are on HD-DVD. even if Blue-ray is purportedly better. and if they go x amount of layers? thats going to drive people up the wall! one pause in a movie on a DL-DVD is enough thanks

Name recognition won't mean much (if anything). Take a look at VHS-C or S-VHS. Those technologies went pretty much nowhere.

Further, more studios are supporting Blu-Ray than HD-DVD. Blu-Ray has the edge in so many areas that the "name" factor isn't nearly big enough.

The costs of a Blu-Ray disc would only cost more than a HD-DVD at the very beginning, and not very substantially more from what I understand. The reason they would cost more is that due to the newer and better technologies, higher capacity, etc. it will cost disc replication companies more initially go get Blu-Ray equipment going (Sony says it won't, but we'll see).

Regarding the consumer analogy, I read an article that stated that consumers are more savvy now than they were during the Beta/VHS wars, and most people will wait until there is a clear winner.

Also, Sony is behind Blue-ray, that alone gives HD-DVD an advantage (when has a sony proprietary medium ever gained popular support?)

Well, when was the last time Sony had the opportunity to establish a medium on a foundation as strong as the Playstation brand?

I'm am going to say again that I think BLu-RAys will blow Hd-DVD's out of the water, as someone pointed out above one of the best features is that a Blu-Ray disc can have a DVD encoded layer on them, that will work in a normal DVD player, but pop it into a Blu-Ray player and you get all the extra features.

Archived