IN PROGRESS: Goodwin College Riverfront Campus

beerbeer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.hbjournal.com/index.shtml

Nice site on th river for a campus expected to service 4,000 students

I read that this was what they were looking to do a while ago. It's good to see this project moving along. Now if we could only get some housing proposed for that side of the river without the Riverpointe residents protesting.

• 5 months later...

I read that yesterday, do you guys think that's a great use of that waterfront property? I'm not so sure I do, I guess it's getting done because it can co-exist with the plan for perpetual parkland all over the river (bad use of space, in my opinion)...

I read that yesterday, do you guys think that's a great use of that waterfront property? I'm not so sure I do, I guess it's getting done because it can co-exist with the plan for perpetual parkland all over the river (bad use of space, in my opinion)...

I actually think it's great. Goodwin is growing by leaps and bounds and will be an asset to the region in the coming years. They're building dorms and everything and are working on 4 year degree programs. In 10 years they could be for East Hartford what Quinnipiac is to Hamden. We all know we could use another 4 year institution around here. I say let them go for it and be as ambitious as they want to. I applaud all parties involved in making this happen.

I actually think it's great. Goodwin is growing by leaps and bounds and will be an asset to the region in the coming years. They're building dorms and everything and are working on 4 year degree programs. In 10 years they could be for East Hartford what Quinipiac is to Hamden. We all know we could use another 4 year institution around here. I say let them go for it and be as ambitious as they want to. I applaud all parties involved in making this happen.

I agree as well. Sounds like a great economic renewal proposal.

I would think its a great use for the riverfront as long as it promotes public access.

A wall should be built along the East Hartford side of the river instead of having a natural river bank. The wall would rise above the floodplain and then you could have a pedestrian thoroughfare along the river without having to worry about flooding. This is what Chicago and many other cities have done with their riverfront.

Luca - Lake Michigan doesn't rise and fall like the Connecticut River. I think that wall is there mostly to stop erosion of the lakeshore rather than flood prevention.

There are buildings, like the boathouse, that can exist on a flood plain because they are designed to survive the yearly flood. That restaurant on the river next to Route 9 in Middletown gets flooded pretty much every year. It would be nice to have some commerce on the pathways as you suggest on both sides of the river. Those spaces would have to be built to accomodate yearly flooding.

Exactly beer - here is a model of the Chicago River:

chicago_river.jpg

I'm not familar with the engineering of these types of things at all, but it seems you would be able to build a wall able to withstand the high waters of the CT River while bringing people much closer to the river. I really like how urban this looks and how it connects the city to the waterfront. In Rome, there is a second, lower river walk along the same type of wall that allows pedestrians to stroll along the Tiber River when the water level is low as can be seen here:

Tiber%20River%20picture%202.jpg

• 7 months later...

Goodwin College, to me, represents a great success story. They build themselves up from basically nothing to become a nice College planning a riverfront campus directly across from Hartford. The plan they have for the area surrounding will be huge for East Hartford. Too bad they can't pop over the river a little and share with Hartford. That being said, if they have a Campus with students living there full time, that's very close to downtown, and would be huge for adding that many more people walking around at various times. I found it interesting that people were already speculating on the prices of the houses the College was trying to buy, offering them for triple price. This could spawn great things in our area...

Goodwin College is a true success story and has lots of potential for its city across the river....Hartford. Goodwin Colleges new campus will be right over the river from downtown making it possibly the closest college to downtown (Trinity may be closer...im not to sure...not to relevant). Anyways colleges are great things for cities...just look at New Haven, Providence, Boston, NYC, Burlington, Northhampton/Amherst, etc. There is a lot of potential here and I hope Goodwin College takes advantage of Hartford because Hartford could win bigtime.

That's a stupid thing to say. What kind of comment is that? Are ANY kind of students being near downtown bad? Has there been crime near the college? How is Goodwin College not respectable? Some people consider Community College to be 13th grade (I'm not included), yet having Capitol downtown has been a big success. Goodwin was second behind UConn for Nursing degrees last year. Imagine a college full of nurses running around downtown.... :thumbsup:

I see nothing wrong with the comment. Their presence isn't good nor bad, I don't think it would have an effect. I personally don't see the sort of people who attend Goodwin doing much but going to BK and McDonald's. Though I'll concede and give a +1 on the nurses.

I see nothing wrong with the comment. Their presence isn't good nor bad, I don't think it would have an effect. I personally don't see the sort of people who attend Goodwin doing much but going to BK and McDonald's. Though I'll concede and give a +1 on the nurses.

Archived