IN PROGRESS: Goodwin College Riverfront Campus

beerbeer

Goodwin is nothing except a positive.

Besides students who are getting an education, there is the faculty, folks who are already educated like, professors, instructors and professional staff. The school will also provide jobs like administrative personnel, janitors, grounds keeper, engineers and security folks. You have to be extremely cynical, or worse, to miss all these positives.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, nice elitist attitude!

I'll take the "BK" "MC'Ds" trying to better their lives crowd over some pompous ass who thinks your worth is in where you shop for clothes anyday.

I'm SURE the Goodwin crowd will have an impact on Hartford in some form. It's just a short walk over the bridge to downtown...too bad there is no Mickey D's closer for the unwashed though.

Goodwin is nothing except a positive.

Besides students who are getting an education, there is the faculty, folks who are already educated like, professors, instructors and professional staff. The school will also provide jobs like administrative personnel, janitors, grounds keeper, engineers and security folks. You have to be extremely cynical, or worse, to miss all these positives.

I suppose, but the point of a college is top educate and in my experience they have failed there. I help people research colleges & careers along with assisting them in searching for employment. And many people have horror stories from there. Not to mention the school isn't going to help with your intellectual development.

I have to agree with Afro. Until Goodwin becomes a 4 year college with students living on campus, it won't have much of an impact at all. It will be nice to have something on the river generating some activity, but as far as an economic effect or more feet on the street downtown, its not going to happen.

Ask the people at 960 Main who banked on Capitol Community College making some kind of impact in the area. Room 960 had to close for happy hour and rely solely on their nightime business and Global Gourmet went out of business quickly. In the meantime, there are still many empty storefronts at 960 Main St - and thats all with a captive audience. These are commuters taking classes, many of whom work and have children. They come to class and leave quickly to get back to their lives. There is no leisure time and usually no disposable income. Don't get me wrong, its much better than having an empty building, but the economic imact of something like a CC is very minimal.

I have to agree with Afro. Until Goodwin becomes a 4 year college with students living on campus, it won't have much of an impact at all. It will be nice to have something on the river generating some activity, but as far as an economic effect or more feet on the street downtown, its not going to happen.

Ask the people at 960 Main who banked on Capitol Community College making some kind of impact in the area. Room 960 had to close for happy hour and rely solely on their nightime business and Global Gourmet went out of business quickly. In the meantime, there are still many empty storefronts at 960 Main St - and thats all with a captive audience. These are commuters taking classes, many of whom work and have children. They come to class and leave quickly to get back to their lives. There is no leisure time and usually no disposable income. Don't get me wrong, its much better than having an empty building, but the economic imact of something like a CC is very minimal.

I suppose, but the point of a college is to educate and in my experience they have failed there. I help people research colleges & careers along with assisting them in searching for employment. And many people have horror stories from there. Not to mention the school isn't going to help with your intellectual development.

I suppose, but the point of a college is to educate and in my experience they have failed there. I help people research colleges & careers along with assisting them in searching for employment. And many people have horror stories from there. Not to mention the school isn't going to help with your intellectual development.

I see it as the same thing. Judging people by what clothing they choose to wear. Differences I didn't attach any negative behavior to their choosing Men Warehouse clothing aside from having bad taste. You on the other said people who wear urban clothing are thugs, big difference.

And you don't believe wearing badly made suits leave an impression?

Sure won't hurt to have a college or university nearby. We have kids from Sage Allen/UHart apartments and Capital Community College coming in, some regularly. The funny thing about UHart Kid is that they got a welcome package flushed with gift certificates from local restaurants and bars. So far, most of the UHart kids are not thru with their gift certificates, so until then, local merchants won't see much green backs. I am too cheap to do anything like that so we have to wait until they finished with their certificates. We did hire ourselves a pretty gal from UHart. She got a $100 gift certificate from Joe Black, and she only used 5 bucks of that gift certificate so far, those horny old toads just kept on buying her drinks. From what I was told, not too many ladies are buying drinks for the male students. Life is just not fair.

Sure won't hurt to have a college or university nearby. We have kids from Sage Allen/UHart apartments and Capital Community College coming in, some regularly. The funny thing about UHart Kid is that they got a welcome package flushed with gift certificates from local restaurants and bars. So far, most of the UHart kids are not thru with their gift certificates, so until then, local merchants won't see much green backs. I am too cheap to do anything like that so we have to wait until they finished with their certificates. We did hire ourselves a pretty gal from UHart. She got a $100 gift certificate from Joe Black, and she only used 5 bucks of that gift certificate so far, those horny old toads just kept on buying her drinks. From what I was told, not too many ladies are buying drinks for the male students. Life is just not fair.

When reading, comprehension is fundamental. I said quality, I don't recall mentioning a label in particular. I'm not sure you wear suits much, but, generally suits don't have labels on the outside. Anyone judging would be doing so by quality and not by something a superficial as a brand name.

No wonder you had such foolish ideas on what impression clothing leaves, your just dense, on the subject in general.

When reading, comprehension is fundamental. I said quality, I don't recall mentioning a label in particular. I'm not sure you wear suits much, but, generally suits don't have labels on the outside. Anyone judging would be doing so by quality and not by something a superficial as a brand name.

No wonder you had such foolish ideas on what impression clothing leaves, your just dense, on the subject in general.

I see nothing wrong with the comment. Their presence isn't good nor bad, I don't think it would have an effect. I personally don't see the sort of people who attend Goodwin doing much but going to BK and McDonald's. Though I'll concede and give a +1 on the nurses.

College students are an intregal part of a community...if done right. Towns and cities all across the countries have taken advantages of their colleges and universities to help them revitilize their communities.

New Haven is home to Yale, Albertus Magnus, SCSU, UNH (West Haven) and Quinnipiac (Hamden)

Providence is home to Brown, Johnson & Wales, RI School of Design, Roger Williams has a presence downtown and URI has a presence downtown

Northampton/Amherst is home to UMASS Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Amherst College, Smith College and Hampshire College

NYC is home to NYU, Columbia University, FIT, Fordham Lincoln Center, Fordham Rose Hill, Manhattan College, College of Mt St Vincent, St Johns

Boston/Cambridge is home to Boston University, Boston College, MIT, Harvard, Emerson College, etc. (to name a few)

Burlington, VT is home to UVM and Champlain College

As can be seen colleges can really help communities....maybe getting Hartford area colleges and universities EVEN MORE involved in the city could be very beneficial and this includes Goodwin as well as Trinity, UHART, UCONN, St Josephs College, CCSU and even Wesleyan

College students are an intregal part of a community...if done right. Towns and cities all across the countries have taken advantages of their colleges and universities to help them revitilize their communities.

New Haven is home to Yale, Albertus Magnus, SCSU, UNH (West Haven) and Quinnipiac (Hamden)

Providence is home to Brown, Johnson & Wales, RI School of Design, Roger Williams has a presence downtown and URI has a presence downtown

Northampton/Amherst is home to UMASS Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Amherst College, Smith College and Hampshire College

NYC is home to NYU, Columbia University, FIT, Fordham Lincoln Center, Fordham Rose Hill, Manhattan College, College of Mt St Vincent, St Johns

Boston/Cambridge is home to Boston University, Boston College, MIT, Harvard, Emerson College, etc. (to name a few)

Burlington, VT is home to UVM and Champlain College

As can be seen colleges can really help communities....maybe getting Hartford area colleges and universities EVEN MORE involved in the city could be very beneficial and this includes Goodwin as well as Trinity, UHART, UCONN, St Josephs College, CCSU and even Wesleyan

Archived