IN PROGRESS: Goodwin College Riverfront Campus

beerbeer

UConn Hartford is 100% commuters, it's location makes little difference.

University of Hartford has around 7,000 students.

St Joesph College has about 1,000 students

Trinity College has about 2,000 students

So that 10,000 students in and around Hartford. If Goodwin adds dorms, any enrollment will be significant.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
College students are an intregal part of a community...if done right. Towns and cities all across the countries have taken advantages of their colleges and universities to help them revitilize their communities.

New Haven is home to Yale, Albertus Magnus, SCSU, UNH (West Haven) and Quinnipiac (Hamden)

Providence is home to Brown, Johnson & Wales, RI School of Design, Roger Williams has a presence downtown and URI has a presence downtown

Northampton/Amherst is home to UMASS Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Amherst College, Smith College and Hampshire College

NYC is home to NYU, Columbia University, FIT, Fordham Lincoln Center, Fordham Rose Hill, Manhattan College, College of Mt St Vincent, St Johns

Boston/Cambridge is home to Boston University, Boston College, MIT, Harvard, Emerson College, etc. (to name a few)

Burlington, VT is home to UVM and Champlain College

As can be seen colleges can really help communities....maybe getting Hartford area colleges and universities EVEN MORE involved in the city could be very beneficial and this includes Goodwin as well as Trinity, UHART, UCONN, St Josephs College, CCSU and even Wesleyan

So that 10,000 students in and around Hartford. If Goodwin adds dorms, any enrollment will be significant.

I disagree about UCONN Greater Hartford. If it were located just north of I-84, it would bring about two thousand more people into the downtown area every day and provide a desperately-needed seamless urban fabric between downtown and the North End. That makes a difference in my book. Look at what UCONN Waterbury has done to downtown Waterbury.

This is something Providence has over Hartford. All the schools in Providence are close to each other and this creates a massive youth oriented buying power with shops in and around them thus creates a nice retail district, where as Hartford's schools are isolated from each other and unfortunately from the neighborhoods as well, and they all have this siege mentality and as a result Hartford does not benefit from its colleges and universities.

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer on this one, but in Springfield there are over roughly 6,000 resident college students within city limits and many more right outside, and the colleges aren't doing much to enhance downtown at all beyond one street (Worthington) of an entertainment district. And these are private schools with students who have pretty significant disposable incomes. I tend to think that colleges really need to be located downtown, or have immediate access to downtown to have a large impact. This is one reason that I think even though its only a couple hundred students, the Sage Allen project is actually a great boost for Hartford.

Having said that, Goodwin College moving to the E. Hartford riverfront is a great project and will be good for East Hartford, and if it turns into a full fledged 4 year institution it may have some positive affect on downtown Hartford.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Article in the Courant about Goodwin College:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-goodwincollegenov16,0,4328207.story

Goodwin Campus A Reality

In construction, one measure of a project's success is how efficiently it reaches certain benchmarks. By that standard, Thursday's topping-off ceremony for the first phase of Goodwin College's new $80 million campus along the Connecticut River in East Harford suggests a major sensation just around the corner.

Would someone show me where exactly this is on the riverfront? Depending on its location it could bring a lot of vitality to downtown.

Article in the Courant about Goodwin College:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-goodwincollegenov16,0,4328207.story

Goodwin Campus A Reality

In construction, one measure of a project's success is how efficiently it reaches certain benchmarks. By that standard, Thursday's topping-off ceremony for the first phase of Goodwin College's new $80 million campus along the Connecticut River in East Harford suggests a major sensation just around the corner.

Would someone show me where exactly this is on the riverfront? Depending on its location it could bring a lot of vitality to downtown.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the new building Goodwin is putting up?

"HOLY SCHNIKIES" to quote Tommy Callahan.

I drove Rt. 2 into Hartford this morning for work since I was coming from the New London Ferry. As I was getting close to East Hartford I saw a big crane and was wondering what they were building near the East Hartford Corporate Downtown (or whatever you call the area with the few highrises) As I got closer I saw the steel frams and was really almost shocked when I read the banner on top of the steel heralding the coming of Goodwin. I remember reading this thread, but actually seeing the steel was even more impressive. Funny thing is a few minutes later I heard an add for Goodwin on the radio. I am really curious where this school will be in 10 years.

insert feather in cap Greater Hartford

• 2 weeks later...

More Goodwin college today in the Courant.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-goodwin...hc_tab03_layout

There is some information about the 15 houses they have bought and fixed up in the area. Even mention of there being 27 tennants all ready. I am curious just how far all of this will go in changing the area, but I gotta tell ya, its starting off FAST.

I have to credit East Hartford as it is clearly an easy town to work with.

34615826.jpg

I like this quote at the end

'The goal of the redevelopment, Scheinberg said, is to stabilize the neighborhood and to make it healthy so that the campus thrives.

"I wish we could say it's all for altruistic reasons, but this is our neighborhood and we want to make sure that it's a safe and healthy place to live and go to school," he said.'

underline is mine.

Cheers

34615803.jpg

This plan has infinite potential. I'm really thrilled that this is something that's taking place in the region right now and think the timing couldn't be better for East Hartford with it's overall resurgence well in progress now. East Hartford as a town will surely be a far better place 5-10 years down the line.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

another article in the courant today.

Goodwin College Project Opens River View In East Hartford

http://www.courant.com/community/news/ec/h...0,3244927.story

For decades, the view toward the river from Ensign Street and neighboring Riverside Drive has been little more than an industrial eyesore, with rows of oil tanks and fuel depots and intermittent clusters of dirt hills and trees making it impossible to catch more than a passing glimpse of the rolling river behind them.

But all that has begun to change in recent weeks, as construction crews from Goodwin College have removed many of the old oil tanks, torn down the brush and mounds of dirt and cleaned out contaminated soil to make way for a new branch of the college.

This is simply a great change for the waterfront around Hartford. Not only will people be able to walk to the rivers edge and enjoy the view from their homes, but boaters will see a college campus and houses on the river shore rather than industry. Also the people living across the river will have nicer views. Ok so its only an airport a powerplant and other nasties on the Hartford side, but this area was one of the last blemishes on the east hartford side.

• 6 months later...

11/19/2008

Goodwin College now a four-year college

By: Staff

Goodwin College's new Riverfront campus is still under construction, but its futuristic, lighthouse-like tower is already offering an ever-changing, colorful LED light show - a beacon set against the chill autumnal sky.

That is not the only advanced signal emanating from the East Hartford-based college. Goodwin College President Mark Scheinberg proudly announced Wednesday that the State of Connecticut Board of Governors for Higher Education unanimously approved licensure of Goodwin College's first Bachelor of Science degree program in Child Study.

The college has been eagerly anticipating the news. The new four-year bachelors of science program will start in May 2009 and is designed as a "2+2" program, meaning that students will first earn an associate degree and then continue in their studies to earn a bachelor's degree.

"Thank you to everyone for supporting Goodwin College and helping us achieve this important milestone," stated college President Scheinberg.

More details about the implications of the changes to Goodwin College will be reported in the Gazette as they are announced by the college.

East Hartford Gazette

20081119_213010_2_story.jpg

KUDOS!!!

The things this school has done and is continuing to do is just great!

people diss the school, but more and more they are dissing what the school used to be, not what it is and what it is turning into.

Only a matter of time before they add a few more programs to the 4 year cariculum. And the new Campus will even make it feel like a full on 4 year school

KUDOS!!!

The things this school has done and is continuing to do is just great!

people diss the school, but more and more they are dissing what the school used to be, not what it is and what it is turning into.

Only a matter of time before they add a few more programs to the 4 year cariculum. And the new Campus will even make it feel like a full on 4 year school

Archived