Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

Yes here I am with another non-development topic. :D I think we may have covered a little bit of this in another cultural topic but I wanted to get more into this. First I was curious if there were any big differences in what people eat around the state. I do know there are big cultural differences between southern and northern Louisiana. But I don't know if that applies to food as well. Overall I can't say I know a lot about Louisiana cuisine. Sure I've heard of gumbo and jambalaya but to be honest I'm not positive what makes up these dishes. So if anyone has any explanations that would be nice. :D Personally when I think of Louisiana food I think of rice and hot sauce as two big ingredients. I was also curious do people really use that much hot sauces down there? And if so does everyone have a favorite?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also curious do people really use that much hot sauces down there? And if so does everyone have a favorite?

Yep. :D

Hot sauce is definately very popular in Southest Louisiana, especially in Cajun Country. And my two personal favorites are Louisiana Hot Sauce, and of course, Tabasco Sauce. :D

I'll try to get some sites together to add to my info to help you get a clear idea of how food is liked differently throughout the state, Rod. :D

Yep. :D

Hot sauce is definately very popular in Southest Louisiana, especially in Cajun Country. And my two personal favorites are Louisiana Hot Sauce, and of course, Tabasco Sauce. :D

I'll try to get some sites together to add to my info to help you get a clear idea of how food is liked differently throughout the state, Rod. :D

I thought hot sauces were popular but I didn't want to assume like I have on other matters and been wrong. :D I admit to liking spicy food although I tend to lean more towards Mexican. The same goes for hot sauces. A lot of the Louisiana hot sauces I've tried aren't bad but not quite to me taste. They seem to use a lot of vinegar. I will say though that the Tabasco Chipotle is very good, although it also uses less vinegar than their other sauces. I haven't tried out the Habanero tabasco yet though.

I will say though that the Tabasco Chipotle is very good, although it also uses less vinegar than their other sauces. I haven't tried out the Habanero tabasco yet though.

Tabasco Chipotle.... :D That is definately one of my favorites!

I really like Habanero Tabasco as well. :thumbsup:

Tabasco Chipotle.... :D That is definately one of my favorites!

I really like Habanero Tabasco as well. :thumbsup:

I'll have to try it out then. I was going to mention what habanero sauce I like a lot but wouldn't you know it I'm out and I can't think of the name. The brand I get has three different kinds of it, one of them being an authentic Mayan recipe. But anyway enough of that. Didn't mean to make you go to a lot of effort Nate. But I was curious if you knew if the cuisine changed much between northern and southern Louisiana.

Didn't mean to make you go to a lot of effort Nate. But I was curious if you knew if the cuisine changed much between northern and southern Louisiana.

Oh it's no problem at all. After all the help you give me with camera stuff it's the least I can do. :D

Right now I'm just trying to find some interesting facts or figures about Louisiana cuisine of the internet.

Oh it's no problem at all. After all the help you give me with camera stuff it's the least I can do. :D

Right now I'm just trying to find some interesting facts or figures about Louisiana cuisine of the internet.

I found an interesting site about the New Orleans accent and terminology. I might start another topic just for it and let you see how accurate it is. :D

Hey Rod, just out of curiousity, what is your favorite Louisiana food?

I'm not sure to be honest. :D I've made some stuff that people have said seems something like Louisiana-like. But to be honest I never have actually seen what officially makes a gumbo a gumbo and the same for a jambalaya. I partly wonder if they associated it with Louisiana because I'll put rice in some of my cooking. Although this is probably more a result from having much of my family originating from Stuttgart here in Arkansas. Where a lot of rice is grown and the headquarters for Riceland.

I'll have to try it out then. I was going to mention what habanero sauce I like a lot but wouldn't you know it I'm out and I can't think of the name. The brand I get has three different kinds of it, one of them being an authentic Mayan recipe. But anyway enough of that. Didn't mean to make you go to a lot of effort Nate. But I was curious if you knew if the cuisine changed much between northern and southern Louisiana.

Garlic tabasco :thumbsup:

Hey Nate you got any basic info on what basically makes up a gumbo or a jambalaya?

One major thing is, to make a classic SE Louisiana gumbo, the main parts of the gumbo,(base, roux, stock, meat) need to be cooked sperately. You also definately need okra. Okra has always been a central part of gumbo, and down here, if it ain't got okra, it ain't gumbo. :D

Here is "gumbo" from wikipedia. They give a great overview of the classic Louisiana gumbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

One major thing is, to make a classic SE Louisiana gumbo, the main parts of the gumbo,(base, roux, stock, meat) need to be cooked sperately. You also definately need okra. Okra has always been a central part of gumbo, and down here, if it ain't got okra, it ain't gumbo. :D

Here is "gumbo" from wikipedia. They give a great overview of the classic Louisiana gumbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

Well I've never made or eaten gumbo before then because I'm not an okra fan. Maybe what I am thinking of is jambalaya.

Here is the wikipedia article on Jambalaya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambalaya

:D

BTW Rod, do most people in NW Arkansas pronounce it Jam-ba-lya, or Jum-ba-lya, as it is said down here?

I've always heard jum-ba-la-ya. After looking at it on wikipedia I'm pretty it's what I'm more familiar with. I probably never gave gumbo much of a try because it has gumbo. I noticed they had a section on Louisiana cuisine on wikipedia but not Arkansas, what's up with that? :lol: I'm sure you've heard of our world famous dishes. Anyway on a more serious note, what other well known dishes make up the cuisine there? Are all of these dishes also easily found in northern Louisiana?

^Alot of the well know dishes are.

Very Well known Seafood dishes(I know that I'm going to leave one out)

-All seasfood, especially crawfish, shrimp, crabs, oysters, and fish

-seafood poboys(mostly only around NOLA)

-Crawfish Ettoufe

-Crawfish Bisque

-Seafood Gumbo

I'll add a bunch of dishes later. My DSL is having some problems again. -_-

Red Beans and Rice are also a New Orleans tradition, and this dish seems to be pretty popular around the U.S.

Old desserts that are popular in New Orleans include Bread Pudding, and Beignet's. And in my opinion, the Beignet is the best pastry, or dessert, on the planet! :yahoo:

Thanks for the info Nate. So Ettoufe mainly uses shrimp, can it use other non-seafood meats? I also didn't hear you mention anything about okra, so I'm assumming it can be made without it?

Well it mainly uses crawfish. But it can use shrimp or crabmeat often as well. It can definately made without okra, because it is basically made up of meats, spices, and sauces. Gumbo however is made up all kinds of seafood meats, sauces, spices, and especially vegetables, so okra is a key ingredient.

Well it mainly uses crawfish. But it can use shrimp or crabmeat often as well. It can definately made without okra, because it is basically made up of meats, spices, and sauces. Gumbo however is made up all kinds of seafood meats, sauces, spices, and especially vegetables, so okra is a key ingredient.

Oops, I'm mixing up those little guys. :D So just seafood then for etouffee. Thanks for the info Nate. At least I know a little more if I ever want to try more Louisiana cuisine. :D

Archived