Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

Oh definately. Even thought the capital of the Ark-La-Tex is located in Louisiana, Texas heavily influences the area, more so than the other two. The area where my family is from basically used to be part of Texas, and you can really tell when driving around parts of SW Arkansas that your not far at all from Texas. To me, driving around SW Arkansas and NE Texas, you can see that Texas is the "big dog" in the area, compared to SE Oklahoma, SW Arkansas. It just has alot of that "Texas feel." You dont see it as much in Louisiana, IMO, because of Shreveport-Bossier City and all of the activity that it brings from the area, and because of S-BC most people in NW Louisiana dont need to go into Texas to get certain things done, as many need to do in Arkansas or Oklahoma.

I hadn't thought much about it but it does make sense. I also haven't been able to pick out a lot of big differences in cuisine here in Arkansas. I do know there are some subtle ones. You don't see as much strong southern cuisine up here in northwest Arkansas, but you still see some. I don't think Arkansas cuisine really stands out quite so much. Especially compared to Louisiana and Texas.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't thought much about it but it does make sense. I also haven't been able to pick out a lot of big differences in cuisine here in Arkansas. I do know there are some subtle ones. You don't see as much strong southern cuisine up here in northwest Arkansas, but you still see some. I don't think Arkansas cuisine really stands out quite so much. Especially compared to Louisiana and Texas.

I think that could be contributed somewhat to location. Most of Arkansas is in a location where it's hard to grow crops or find certain foods that really stand out from other areas of the nation and the South, though I would say its rice production definately boosts that up. It' no coincidens that both Louisiana and Texas have cuisines that are original to the states, and that they both have very interesting historic cultures influenced by multiple countries. But if you were looking at just location, Louisiana is very lucky to have some of the, if not the best seafood in the world because of its coastline and its location along the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the other foods(other than rice and sugur cane) in Louisiana are more influenced by culture as opposed to location. And in Texas, the state is just so big that it's hard to not have original crops and cuisine's. Though again, the cuisines of both states are obviously very heavily influenced by the historic cultures as well.

I think that could be contributed somewhat to location. Most of Arkansas is in a location where it's hard to grow crops or find certain foods that really stand out from other areas of the nation and the South, though I would say its rice production definately boosts that up. It' no coincidens that both Louisiana and Texas have cuisines that are original to the states, and that they both have very interesting historic cultures influenced by multiple countries. But if you were looking at just location, Louisiana is very lucky to have some of the, if not the best seafood in the world because of its coastline and its location along the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the other foods(other than rice and sugur cane) in Louisiana are more influenced by culture as opposed to location. And in Texas, the state is just so big that it's hard to not have original crops and cuisine's. Though again, the cuisines of both states are obviously very heavily influenced by the historic cultures as well.

Yeah it's a bit off though. Despite the large amount of rice grown in Arkansas I don't know if it really influences the cuisine here that much. I think you could easily argue that rice is much more important to southern Louisiana. I believe I've also heard of some special breeds of rice that are indicative of Louisiana. I haven't heard of any for Arkansas. Honestly I think most of our rice is simply shipped off to other areas. Now I do think the immediate areas where rice is grown in Arkansas do tend to use rice more than the rest of the state. But I still doubt it's to the extend of it's use in Louisiana.

Now I do think the immediate areas where rice is grown in Arkansas do tend to use rice more than the rest of the state. But I still doubt it's to the extend of it's use in Louisiana.

Yea, that I can definately understand. I don't know of any extended area in the country that use's rice in its cuisine as much as south Louisiana.

On a different note I thought I'd mention a bit about chile peppers. I'm sure Louisiana grows quite a bit of peppers compared to say Arkansas but considering how much chile peppers are used in hot sauces and the cuisine I'm a bit surprised they don't grow that many. Most of the cayenne peppers actually come from New Mexico and just about all the tabasco peppers are actually grown in Central and South America. Most of what's grown on Avery Island is just for seeds and such. Any ideas why so few chile peppers are grown in the state? Like I said before I know it's relative, Louisiana grows a lot more than Arkansas. But considering how much of a role they play in the cuisine I would just think they would actually grow more there.

Even thought the capital of the Ark-La-Tex is located in Louisiana...

Yep, yep, that would be my SBC.

The area where my family is from basically used to be part of Texas, and you can really tell when driving around parts of SW Arkansas that your not far at all from Texas. To me, driving around SW Arkansas and SE Ohlahoma, you can see that Texas is the "big dog" in the area. It just has alot of that "Texas feel." You dont see it as much in Louisiana, IMO, because of Shreveport-Bossier City and all of the activity that it brings from the area, and because of S-BC most people in NW Louisiana dont need to go into Texas to get certain things done, as many need to do in Arkansas or Oklahoma.

Texas definitely influences the entire Ark-La-Tex. Even though Shreveport-Bossier is by far the largest metro in the region, the Texas culture has a huge influence here. The entire Ark-La-Tex is heavily influenced by Texas, including Texarkana, Hope, Nashville, SBC, Natchitoches, and even places like Broken Bow and Idabel in southeastern Oklahoma.

NCB was right about seafood... seafood is huge here. Oh, and BBQ is huge here as well, and I forgot to mention that in my last post. I can't believe I missed that. If there's a BBQ restaurant in any small east Texas town, they most likely have a location here. I can name quite a few right off. Even south Louisiana-based (possibly Baton Rouge-based, but not sure) Podnuh's has many locations here and has been here for many, many years. Tony Roma's, 'America's Rib Grill,' recently closed their Shreveport location, and I will never understand why. It was always busy when I was there and it was delicious. I personally think that's the only BBQ joint to not survive here. Even national chain, Smokey Bones, is surviving and most people I know (myself included) hate it.

Let me think... American food is big here (burgers, fries, shakes, etc,) as are Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, seafood, Cajun, BBQ, and of course fast-food in general has always been huge here. Waffle House and IHOP are two breakfast chains that are also huge here. Come to think of it, this area just loves food. It's a wonder we haven't all had a heart attack! Oh, and don't let me forget... due to a certain part of our population making up 51% of Shreveport's population, fried chicken is also a huge business here. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. I'd love to have even a small percentage of the profits from all the Popeye's, Church's, KFCs, Southern Fried, Chester Fried, etc in this area.

NCB was right about seafood... seafood is huge here.

This is an odd question, but does the S-BC area generally really like south Louisiana shrimp?

I ask this because in the small town of Foreman,AR, where my family is from, Louisiana Shrimp is like gold. You have no idea how many people up there have told me how lucky I am to live in New Orleans, just because I can have fresh LA shrimp in pretty much every restaurant, on pretty much every street in the city. :D

This is an odd question, but does the S-BC area generally really like south Louisiana shrimp?

I ask this because in the small town of Foreman,AR, where my family is from, Louisiana Shrimp is like gold. You have no idea how many people up there have told me how lucky I am to live in New Orleans, just because I can have fresh LA shrimp in pretty much every restaurant, on pretty much every street in the city. :D

In two words: HELL YES. That huge gulf shrimp... it's very much in demand around here. Lots of places carry it, but it's WAY more expensive than it is down there. Lucky you...

In two words: HELL YES. That huge gulf shrimp... it's very much in demand around here. Lots of places carry it, but it's WAY more expensive than it is down there. Lucky you...

Haha, ya gotta love livin in New Orleans! :D

Tonight I'll be going to a crawfish boil out on the lakefront! Maybe I'll be able to find some leftovers to air-mail to you, Brian! :P

Now crawfish I can get anytime. Even in this town I live in now has a restaurant called Crawfish Palace (except it's owned by Chinese people!) and there's a roadside crawfish vendor just down the block. BUT if you want to air-mail me some jumbo shrimp on ice, feel free. :D

Now crawfish I can get anytime. Even in this town I live in now has a restaurant called Crawfish Palace (except it's owned by Chinese people!) and there's a roadside crawfish vendor just down the block. BUT if you want to air-mail me some jumbo shrimp on ice, feel free. :D

Haha, there will be plenty of shrimp, in all shapes, sizes, and seasonings at this crawfish boil. Actually, you could probably drive down to New Orleans from Bossier City, and be here half way through the boil/party, but I'm sure you don't love shrimp that much! ;)

Haha, there will be plenty of shrimp, in all shapes, sizes, and seasonings at this crawfish boil. Actually, you could probably drive down to New Orleans from Bossier City, and be here half way through the boil/party, but I'm sure you don't love shrimp that much! ;)

You're right. I'd rather just pay the couple extra bucks per pound than spend the money driving down there.

I do so want get back down that way soon, though. Take in a little Cafe Du Monde and spend at least a whole weekend down there again.

Sorry a bit off topic here. Did anyone else see that shrimp they caught recently? I think it was Central America maybe South America. But someone caught a 15" tiger shrimp. I even saw it on tv. Looked sorta like a really weird looking lobster or some sort of shrimp-lobster kind of creature.

NCB . Just wondering ? Have you heard of Times Grill based in Mandeville ? A new location just opened in Baton Rouge a few months ago. They have one of the best hamburgers ever ! Even my wife said they were better than the old Fuddruckers. Soon a 2nd location is set for BR on Essen. As of now there are three in Louisiana. There is also one in Slidell.

I have an odd question. Which chile pepper do you guys consider most important to spicing up your food. Cayenne or Tabasco? Although some of this relies a bit on hot sauces made from these peppers not just the peppers themselves.

NCB . Just wondering ? Have you heard of Times Grill based in Mandeville ? A new location just opened in Baton Rouge a few months ago. They have one of the best hamburgers ever ! Even my wife said they were better than the old Fuddruckers. Soon a 2nd location is set for BR on Essen. As of now there are three in Louisiana. There is also one in Slidell.

Oh yes, I know quite a bit about Times! :D They have their location off HW. 190/HW. 21 in Mandeville, and I love the place. They make some of the best hamburgers I've ever had. It's a great place, I'm glad their expanding out to Baton Rouge, because I'm sure they'll do well there! :thumbsup:

Archived