Louisiana Cuisine

Mith242

I have an odd question. Which chile pepper do you guys consider most important to spicing up your food. Cayenne or Tabasco? Although some of this relies a bit on hot sauces made from these peppers not just the peppers themselves.

For me, it mostly depends on what kind of spice and flavor you want. Each individual spice goes best with a certain type of dish for the most part, and that plays a large role as well. The same could be said for hot sauces, some hot sauces spice up meat better than seafood, and vis versa. It all depends on what kind of dish your cooking, and what kind of flavor and spice you want.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an odd question. Which chile pepper do you guys consider most important to spicing up your food. Cayenne or Tabasco? Although some of this relies a bit on hot sauces made from these peppers not just the peppers themselves.

I'm with NCB, it depends on the food... but I'm a die-hard Tabasco fan! :)

Also, if you've never heard of it, there's a cajun seasoning... not for adding heat but rather just adding flavor... made in Opelousas (metro Lafayette) called Tony Cachere's (correct me on my spelling if it's wrong... I don't spell it, I eat it!) If you've never had Tony's on your food, I suggest you give it a try. I'm sure your local Wal-Mart carries it. You will NOT be disappointed!!

I'm with NCB, it depends on the food... but I'm a die-hard Tabasco fan! :)

Also, if you've never heard of it, there's a cajun seasoning... not for adding heat but rather just adding flavor... made in Opelousas (metro Lafayette) called Tony Cachere's (correct me on my spelling if it's wrong... I don't spell it, I eat it!) If you've never had Tony's on your food, I suggest you give it a try. I'm sure your local Wal-Mart carries it. You will NOT be disappointed!!

Yeah I've even seen it up here in northwest Arkansas. Although I haven't tried it yet but I guess I'll have to go check it out.

^You definately should! I really don't think you'd be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I went shopping earlier today and forgot about it. But I'll have to get it next time. What kind of stuff is in it by the way? Is it more dried chile peppers or spices?

I went shopping earlier today and forgot about it. But I'll have to get it next time. What kind of stuff is in it by the way? Is it more dried chile peppers or spices?

It's simply a seasoning salt... a mixture of salt and cajun seasonings. It's not hot at all, so I'd guess there is very little pepper in it. Maybe a dash of cayenne at most.

:rofl::rofl:

Man, you're a trip.

I have always wanted to visit Avery Island, though. :)

Hey..what can I say!? :D

I've actually always wanted to visit it as well, and I never have. I've planned at least 3 trips to go check it out, but it just never happens.

Hey..what can I say!? :D

I've actually always wanted to visit it as well, and I never have. I've planned at least 3 trips to go check it out, but it just never happens.

Even you haven't visited? I don't feel quite as bad now, but I still would love to visit. I have friends who've been and they said it's a cool place to visit. I like to visit places where my favorite products are made. Last year I visited the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis and loved it... especially the two free beers at the end of the tour. ;) And now that my father-in-law has moved up to the Chicago metro and is no longer 3 hours away, I want to visit the Twinkie factory. Oh hell yes I do.

Oh yeah, and I want to visit a factory that makes gummy worms as well.

Even you haven't visited? I don't feel quite as bad now, but I still would love to visit. I have friends who've been and they said it's a cool place to visit. I like to visit places where my favorite products are made. Last year I visited the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis and loved it... especially the two free beers at the end of the tour. ;) And now that my father-in-law has moved up to the Chicago metro and is no longer 3 hours away, I want to visit the Twinkie factory. Oh hell yes I do.

Oh yeah, and I want to visit a factory that makes gummy worms as well.

Two free beers huh? I guess I'm gonna have to check out the Coors Brewery if I ever find myself in the Rockies. Actually Abita Beer is brewed in Abita Springs,LA, which is only about 3 miles away from where I'm living currently. I'm gonna have to check that out as well. Abita is really doing well, and they are expanding all over the South. :thumbsup:

Two free beers huh? I guess I'm gonna have to check out the Coors Brewery if I ever find myself in the Rockies. Actually Abita Beer is brewed in Abita Springs,LA, which is only about 3 miles away from where I'm living currently. I'm gonna have to check that out as well. Abita is really doing well, and they are expanding all over the South. :thumbsup:

Yes, Abita is pretty good but there's one flavor I spit out as soon as I drank it... I believe it was something like raspberry wheat or something like that? Don't quote me on the name, but it was nasty nonetheless. Their "regular" beer is good, though.

And yes, two free beers at Budweiser... and you get to choose which two. They bring you back to their hospitality room where they have numerous taps and servers. There are so many Anheuser-Busch beers to choose from, it's really hard to find two you like. And if you screw up and get one you think is nasty, they'll pour you another one. I'd never had a Budweiser Select until that visit, but when I did try it I knew I'd found my new favorite beer. I've always pretty-much stayed with light beers, so I typically just grab Bud Light when I want beer.

Another good beer made in the deep south is Shiner Bock, which is made in Shiner, Texas, between San Antonio and Austin. That's a brewery I should have visited last time I was down in San Antonio but I didn't want to make my drive any longer than it had to be.

Haha, maybe if we get a few more active members on the Louisiana forum, we can have an LA forum meeting at Avery Island! :D

Forum meeting or not... we need more members.

I've been wondering lately where 'woob' has run off to. He posted quite a few of his own SBC area photos and then took off. He was definitely a benefit to the Louisiana and Shreveport-Bossier forums and I hope he'll make his way back.

Also 'Mudbugger,' who I also believe to be from the SBC, has posted quite a few times so I hope he will continue to get involved.

I felt really good about both of these posters and I feel these forums could surely benefit from their presence.

Forum meeting or not... we need more members.

I've been wondering lately where 'woob' has run off to. He posted quite a few of his own SBC area photos and then took off. He was definitely a benefit to the Louisiana and Shreveport-Bossier forums and I hope he'll make his way back.

Also 'Mudbugger,' who I also believe to be from the SBC, has posted quite a few times so I hope he will continue to get involved.

I felt really good about both of these posters and I feel these forums could surely benefit from their presence.

Yea I noticed woob had disappeared, and I had a feeling Mudbugger was from SBC too, I hope he continues to post. We definately need more members, but we're definately better off now than we were a few months ago when it was basically just me, with TSmith and alon504 posting every so often in the New Orleans threads.

Yea I noticed woob had disappeared, and I had a feeling Mudbugger was from SBC too, I hope he continues to post. We definately need more members, but we're definately better off now than we were a few months ago when it was basically just me, with TSmith and alon504 posting every so often in the New Orleans threads.

Oh definitely... much better off. After all, you guys have me! No, seriously, there are some great people on this particular board, and they all seem to have a lot to say. The best thing for these boards is for everyone who has something to say to do so... and it seems that is happening.

I know I'm basically still a newbie here, but with over 800 posts now I believe it's obvious I have things to say... and too much time on my hands. -_-

But most of all, I believe it shows that I truly love this place and think every person I've encountered on here so far has been awesome.

Oh definitely... much better off. After all, you guys have me! No, seriously, there are some great people on this particular board, and they all seem to have a lot to say. The best thing for these boards is for everyone who has something to say to do so... and it seems that is happening.

I know I'm basically still a newbie here, but with over 800 posts now I believe it's obvious I have things to say... and too much time on my hands. -_-

But most of all, I believe it shows that I truly love this place and think every person I've encountered on here so far has been awesome.

I agree, and what I really like about this board now is that we have representation from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport-Bossier. Even if there's only a handful of active members, it makes for much more interesting discussion, information, and topics having people from across the state, rather than from just one area. And Brian, your definately showing you love this place! I was a slow poster when I first joined(2 or 3 posts a day) but that soon picked up. I can only imagine how active I'll be here over the summer, when I'll have even more time on my hands, and plenty of pictures to upload!

I agree, and what I really like about this board now is that we have representation from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport-Bossier. Even if there's only a handful of active members, it makes for much more interesting discussion, information, and topics having people from across the state, rather than from just one area. And Brian, your definately showing you love this place! I was a slow poster when I first joined(2 or 3 posts a day) but that soon picked up. I can only imagine how active I'll be here over the summer, when I'll have even more time on my hands, and plenty of pictures to upload!

Uh-oh, I sense an upcoming competition! With my upcoming trip to Hot Springs in May, and possibly a trip up to New England in August... I'll be uploading some photos myself, though those won't be in here but rather in their respective forums and possibly the 'Photos' forum.

I think the Louisiana forum has been coming along very nicely. There seem to be some very good forumers here. I also like a lot of the things you guys discuss. You guys have also manage to stay clear of all the bickering we've had over on the Arkansas forum. Things have slowed down over there.

Uh-oh, I sense an upcoming competition! With my upcoming trip to Hot Springs in May, and possibly a trip up to New England in August... I'll be uploading some photos myself, though those won't be in here but rather in their respective forums and possibly the 'Photos' forum.

Haha, if thats what you want! I'm probably going to Washington D.C. for a week in mid-June, Houston for a few days to visit family, most likely SW Arkansas, Birmingham and Jackson, and possibly Atlanta. Not to mention the trips into New Orleans and over to Baton Rouge. I'll have plenty of photos too, you can count on that! :D

I think the Louisiana forum has been coming along very nicely. There seem to be some very good forumers here. I also like a lot of the things you guys discuss. You guys have also manage to stay clear of all the bickering we've had over on the Arkansas forum. Things have slowed down over there.

I really like the discussion over here too. I think we've done a pretty good job of creating threads that everyone on the forum can get involved in. And I'm very happy that we don't have problems with arguing over here. We all get along well it seems. :D

Archived