Sunland

P_McLane

A very exciting development reported in the Tallahassee Democrat:

Sunland could be replaced with condos, offices

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

The second time may be the charm for Sunland Hospital, as a Winter Park developer has agreed to buy the long-abandoned facility that looms over the intersection of Blair Stone Road and Phillips Road.

Tom Cavanaugh, president of PAC Land Development Corp., signed a contract Dec. 15 with the Division of State Lands. Cavanaugh bid nearly $5.3 million for the five-story hospital and accompanying 25-plus acres - and most likely will build a complex of offices and condominiums.

The bid now goes before the Governor and Cabinet on Jan. 31 for approval.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Glenn's COT article says offices and hotel while the Tally Democrat says offices and condos. My question is do you think a hotel would do good there? I mean it is a little hidden. Maybe for people working at FDLE or people visiting TMH, but otherwise I'd say that office/condo is the better market. I sure hope this proposal gets approved and begins construction. There is no greater eyesore in Tally than Sunland IMO.

Question: Glenn's COT article says offices and hotel while the Tally Democrat says offices and condos. My question is do you think a hotel would do good there? I mean it is a little hidden. Maybe for people working at FDLE or people visiting TMH, but otherwise I'd say that office/condo is the better market. I sure hope this proposal gets approved and begins construction. There is no greater eyesore in Tally than Sunland IMO.

I noticed the language difference also between the Democrat article & the planning commission meeting agenda. Not sure which is correct but I also think condo's would do better than a hotel in that particular location. Whatever it turns out to be, it's nice to see something like this finally being done with the location.

:)

I noticed the language difference also between the Democrat article & the planning commission meeting agenda. Not sure which is correct but I also think condo's would do better than a hotel in that particular location. Whatever it turns out to be, it's nice to see something like this finally being done with the location.

:)

Here is the web site of the PAC Land Development Company:

http://www.paclanddevelopment.com/

Apartments and Condos seem to be their specialty so I doubt it is a hotel.

My question is why the previous bidder didn't request a rezoning of the project? the Tallahassee Democrat article says they backed out of his bid because the property wasn't zoned commercial or residential... well why couldn't he request a rezoning?!

I think the previous bidder was more interested in selling the property off to the city to put the Performing Arts Center there... and when news broke that they wanted it downtown, he was no longer interested.

Then again, doesn't Sunland sound like a fun place to take the kids?!

Imagine what 26 acres worth of fun at Sunland would do for Tallahassee!! I think we should use that name and play around with it a little. Afterall, this is the Sunshine State! :D

Yeah...And then maybe we could finally get our waterpark too!!! They could also keep the current building & use it for their haunted house. Sunland-Tallahassee....26 acres of pure pleasure nestled in the heart of the Capital city....Ha! :P

lol, yea, i compare bennigans with durango steakhouse on the parkway... i went in their once and will never go back again, the floor was so slick my family about slipped and fell numerous times going to the booth, and the food was awful like the service.

Durango sucks.

:shok: How did we get on restaurants?!

Thanks Alan for getting us back on topic. :thumbsup:

I've probably not got much more to say about the Sunland property at this point as there have been no concrete proposals to date, only talk thus far of a hopeful development. I think the company is respectable, but I'm curious about the land use. Many people are pumping money into the local real estate market, pretty much building the same things... but when will the wise person come along and see that we need some entertainment around here? That will be the day I'm jumping for joy.

ahhh.... for the million dollar top floor condos!!! nice, i forgot about those.

How tall do you think they would allow. i know the just went 5 stories on blairstone and st aug, and DEP is like 8 stories. the proximities of the hospitals and thus helicopters might limit it. but 9 would be sexy there on that hill.

I get the feeling this next developer might go for a single family, detached style development or one that has units similar in look to townhomes. I don't think this developer will try a single verticle building and if so that would disappoint me. Like someone else on here, I don't like tall buildings that are out of place. If you're going to build one tall build it downtown, else, build it traditional.

Archived