Sunland

P_McLane

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem, guys. I'm a huge "urban ruin" fan. I love old buildings. I'm fascinated by them. Sunland was particularly a favorite not only because it's actually close to me, but because of it's sad history. It really was a well-constructed building. It's a real shame it couldn't have been made safe and actually utilized before it fell into it's pathetic state.

I've had a love affair with Sunland since February 2004 when I first stepped foot inside. I have countless pictures and even a full video tour I recorded in the summer of 2004 of all five floors. The view from the roof was rather striking, all things considered.

sunlandroof1.jpg

I shall miss you, old friend.

It does seem like they've halted work again. They seemed to stop three weeks ago right when they had just finished knocking down the Blair Stone wing. Then they started again the following week and took out the whole front wing. Then it seemed they stopped again. Then they started tearing down the middle between the two elevator towers last week. Now they seem to have stopped yet again.

No idea why though. It looked better as an intact building than a pile of rubble. It's more of an eyesore now and it doesn't look like it's going away any time soon.

From what I understood, there was to be Mandalay Square (which is the business/commercial part of the project) and Mandalay Bay (the homes part of the project). According to reports on Tallahassee.com, the city refused to rezone the property, so the Mandalay Bay project has been thrown out (note the signs are now gone on Blair Stone). The plans for Mandalay Square seem to also have been reconsidered as those signs were changed.

According to the report, the owner was disappointed by the city's refusal to rezone and now isn't sure what to do with the property, but plans to work with the city on the matter. This lack of a real plan for the property overall may have contributed to some of the downtime on deconstruction of Sunland.

I rambled there a bit. Overall, it was originally two tie-in projects, but now who knows. They seem pretty set on the office plaza plans, but the whole deal with the residential project is up in the air due to the refusal to rezone at this point. Time will tell I guess. Unless I've missed something since that report! Which is possible.

I don't think this parcel has to go for a rezoning b/c it's already zoned OR-3(office residential district 3.) He's just coming in for a Site Plan Approval for the apartments. I'm posting a link to the PDF file again showing what's up. They come before the Development Review Committee on 10.23

Victoria Grand.

I think the City was right in denying the developer his zoning change request. I can't remember if a rezoning was exactly what he was in for, but remember he wanted to build 30 something upscale homes. If he wanted a rezoning, then he wanted to decrease the permitted density and for an in-town parcel, I don't think was a great idea either.

He is bringing the project in as two separate submittals, one for the residential and one for the office. I too am surprised that he didn't come in and make it all a PUD. That to me would have been more efficient.....but what do I know.

When I first moved into town I saw that ominous looking building and was like why was that hospital abandoned. I've laways had a fascination with exploring abandoned building and it seems Sunland would have been an amazing place to check out. Too bad I didnt find out it was haunted till it was too late, I also have a fascination with ghosts and strange creatures.

When I first moved into town I saw that ominous looking building and was like why was that hospital abandoned. I've laways had a fascination with exploring abandoned building and it seems Sunland would have been an amazing place to check out. Too bad I didnt find out it was haunted till it was too late, I also have a fascination with ghosts and strange creatures.

It really was an interesting building to explore. I got tons of pictures and even a full 5-floor video tour I recorded myself. I guess my video tour is the only kind of tour I'll be giving of it now. I knew the place like the back of my hand and used to take people around the property. I never got caught in the nearly 3 years I spent exploring/touring it. I'll sure miss Sunland!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived