Sunland

P_McLane

I'm paying special attention to the Suniland Hospital project. The old building is full of asbestos and it needs to be removed before any demolition occurs. Getting rid of asbestos is real expensive and the responsibility is with the current owner, not the person/organization who created the hazard. I couldn't believe that any developer in their right mind would take on that liability.

If you see someone doing demolition there, and they don't have the building wrapped first, raise hell. Asbestos is one of the most hazardous materials in the local neighborhood and when it get's airborne, can hurt lots of people.

Sunland appears to be sealed up from inside of the windows. Just drove by on the way back from FDLE.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the windows have now been removed from Sunland. It is kind of strange because you can see straight through the building, and you can clearly see the inside of all of the rooms.

If any has a camera out in that area, it might make an interesting photo...

I'm honestly going to miss the place. We need something mysterious and creepy in October besides Jeff Bowden's play-calling.

HAHAHHAHAHA So true. It has ruined my college football experience while at FSU (02-07)-- yes I know five years, but I'm double major in chem and bio. Anyways, at least I grew up here so I know what FSU football used to be.

All of the windows have now been removed from Sunland. It is kind of strange because you can see straight through the building, and you can clearly see the inside of all of the rooms.

If any has a camera out in that area, it might make an interesting photo...

I really hope that someone from Environmental Health is paying attention to the asbestos in the building.

• 2 weeks later...

At long last, Sunland is coming down

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

Goodbye, ghosts, revelers, eyesores - and a slice of Tallahassee history. The old Sunland Hospital finally is being demolished.

Abandoned since 1983, the hulking five-story building - with its accompanying 25 acres - was sold to a Winter Park developer in February. Though development plans for the site are still being determined, dismantling of the building began in March. Workers spent several months removing asbestos, then began in August to demolish the concrete structure.

The former state hospital was closed in 1983. After it closed, it became a haven for transients and vandals. The state had been trying to sell the building and property since 2003.

Demolition moved into high gear last week when crews began tearing off the east end of the building. Bulldozers and cranes have steadily clawed at it this week - though the going has been slow.

It's expected to take another three months to demolish the building and haul away enough rubble to fill more than 700 large dump trucks.

"It's not cooperating," said George Skipper, operations manager for the Panama City company that's doing the work. "I think all the ghosts they talk about being in there are holding it up."

I took several pictures and video when they first started taking down the east end of the building. I also ventured inside and got a few interesting pictures of the crumbling hallways and missing room walls. I'll post a few up here when I get a chance. It really makes me sad. At least I got to see the view from the roof one last time.

Also, according to the Democrat, the plans for Mandalay Bay/Square have been scrapped and the signs removed, due to the fact that the city decided against rezoning. So now, there's no definite plans for what will be at the site. Interesting.

I am glad to see the eyesore go. It was a piece of Tally history, but it was just way too dilapidated to keep around....sorry all you ghosts.

I agree w/the city planners on this one. I think they were right to not approve the down-zoning and to ask for the entire property to be included in the approved site plan, not just piece mealing it together. You generally get a better quality product that way. I always thought it was odd that they were going to only build 33 homes on that property so close to the core of town. I too think higher density (and no that doesn't mean a 100 story condo NIMBYS) is the way to go along w/a mix of office etc.

I am also glad the developer is being a good guy about this project and plans to continue demolishing the building and not to sell the property. It sounds like he's still serious about the project. Hopefully w/his good attitude and working closely w/the City, they can come up w/a great proposal for this site.

Let's hope they go back and change the name too. I've always not liked Mandalay Bay and thought they should use a name that encompasses the hill/bluff/overlook that the property sits on.

Lookin' forward to your pix Captn.

Here are a couple of images I took last week when they first started work on the hospital building. This first one was taken Sept. 7th, 2006. It depicts the east end of the building (facing Blair Stone) when they had just begun.

sunlandsept06088b.jpg

The next one here depicts the north facade. The wall on the first three floors was knocked down.

sunlandsept06090b.jpg

The next day, the sunrooms on the east end were gone.

sunlandsept06092b.jpg

The opposite end (west) is see-through now, without the windows and vines all around it.

sunlandsept06066b.jpg

I took some more today and they have it almost halfway gone. For those who haven't had a chance to see it yet, I hope these were informative. I'll post the ones I took today later when I get them downloaded onto my computer. Enjoy!

I stopped by and watched the destruction this morning, and it was spectacular. The track hoe they are using is huge, and it reaches all the way up 5 floors and grabs on the parts of the roof and yanks them down.

Some of the columns were really hard to get down, taking 20-30 hits from the machine before giving way. I saw the main roof on the section right next to the elevator shaft come down. I might have to go back tomorrow.

I stopped by and watched the destruction this morning, and it was spectacular. The track hoe they are using is huge, and it reaches all the way up 5 floors and grabs on the parts of the roof and yanks them down.

Some of the columns were really hard to get down, taking 20-30 hits from the machine before giving way. I saw the main roof on the section right next to the elevator shaft come down. I might have to go back tomorrow.

Must've been built back when they built buildings with a purpose. Built to last. A modern office building could crumble under a lawn mower.

Got a few more. These were taken over the weekend of September 16th. The first one is the view from Blair Stone.

asunlandsept06123b.jpg

Then we have a close-up.

asunlandsept06121b.jpg

From the back.

asunlandsept06124b.jpg

And don't tell anyone about this next one, but there's now a lovely panoramic view from the ground floor kitchen, though you have to look around the rubble.

asunlandsept1606057b.jpg

I'll get some more up here later as they progress with the work. Seems they've been struggling to take that central elevator tower down.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few more. These were taken over the weekend of September 16th. The first one is the view from Blair Stone.

asunlandsept1606057b.jpg

I'll get some more up here later as they progress with the work. Seems they've been struggling to take that central elevator tower down.

I would like to have that stainless steel counter there. :thumbsup: Thanks for the pictures Captain.

I would like to have that stainless steel counter there. :thumbsup: Thanks for the pictures Captain.

Just stop by and ask. Bring a copy of the photo to bring whomever you talk to. The fixture is just going to end up in a landfill. I bet if you had a 100$ bill in your hand, and a truck big eonough to hold it, you could take it home. I know I could.

The guys at the site are apparently pretty good-natured. A friend of mine asked for the stone plaque on the brick sign out front and the guys actually used crobars to pry it off and lifted it into her trunk for her. The plaque is now sitting in my living room. Unfortunately, that steel table seems to be mounted to the floor and it's also now buried under 3 floors worth of collapsed debris (it is still possible to get into the kitchen though). But I doubt they'd help anyone get that now for safety reasons.

There are some rusty beds left on the other side of the building still standing. I'll provide a picture of them in my next pic posting this evening. Looks like demolition hasn't been halted after all. There's very little of the building left at this point. More pics to come.

Here's a few more pictures. The interior ones were taken Sept. 16th while most of the building was still whole (only the wing facing Blair Stone was gone at the time and part of the front wing). The exteriors were taken yesterday (10/1/06).

asunlandsept1606047b.jpg

The old neglected beds.

asunlandsept1606060b.jpg

One of the halls on the second floor during demolition (facing Blair Stone).

asunlandsept1606066b.jpg

Remains of the fifth floor hallway (facing Blair Stone).

asunlandsept1606067b.jpg

Collapsed roof (what used to be the auditorium).

asunlandoct2nd06056b.jpg

What's left of the front facade as of Oct. 1

asunlandoct2nd06055b.jpg

From the back.

asunlandoct2nd06061b.jpg

Closer detail on the front (or what's left of it).

Archived