Roanoke Off-Topic

rusthebuss

Showing my age but I remember back when the Roanoke Civic Center was a must stop for almost every touring band. We didn't get the mega stars for the most part, no Springsteens, Stones, Who, etc but AC/DC, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Heart, and all the other staples of what's called classic rock now stopped here every tour.

Slightly off topic but is anyone else totally disappointed in the design of the new exhibit hall?

Yes. I was hoping for something a little more innovative than a giant near windowless hulk of a building. It is consistent with the arena and performing arts theater though.

I had no idea the civic center was once such a consistent draw for shows of that size. I wonder if it's because we have such a lousy 20-35 y.o. demographic in terms of numbers, bad management or people stopped going and so bands/promoters scratched us off the list. Probably a combination of those factors.

Burt, there is a virtual tour video of the facility on the website. It's not that great and keeps repeating the same images, but it gives you an idea.

Edited by bmedguy

• 1 month later...

I see we have a few guests right now.

Join UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > USA South > Virginia > Roanoke

5 User(s) are browsing this forum (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: mclawsdrive, bmedguy

Its good to see activity pick up lately after a very slow month or two. I confess, I've been rather distracted lately. One of my best friends died suddenly on February 10th, and I've been kind of preocupied dealing with that. Lately, I've been getting back to a 'normal' schedule again and I'll be posting on UP a bit more.

Oh, and I have some pics of the Ivy Market (Ukrops) site, the new silos off of Starkey (replacing the ones being torn down on Jefferson St), The Fairfax (condos/apartments?) and the art museum (although ElectricMonk already posted pics that are better than mine). My friend promised me she will bring a disc with the images (I used her camera) and I'll be able to post them Thursday.

• 3 weeks later...

What a horrible tragedy at Virginia Tech. I'm sure Roanoke's hospitals are sharing in the healing of the injured, and most sadly, the City morgue is the scene of forensic chaos.

Just a dreadful situation!

Press from all over the World has descended on the area bringing an unwanted kind of attention.

May this never happen again -- anywhere.

He had apparently just recently bought a gun at a Roanoke gun store. I think its way past time to have a national effort to prevent events like this from happening. We need to focus on the mental/social health of all people, so that we can reduce alienation of disaffected 'loners' and prevent them from becoming bitter, violent sociopaths. Also, better gun laws might possibly help, although in this situation, this guy might have just manufactured a homemade bomb if he hadn't used guns.

He had apparently just recently bought a gun at a Roanoke gun store. I think its way past time to have a national effort to prevent events like this from happening. We need to focus on the mental/social health of all people, so that we can reduce alienation of disaffected 'loners' and prevent them from becoming bitter, violent sociopaths. Also, better gun laws might possibly help, although in this situation, this guy might have just manufactured a homemade bomb if he hadn't used guns.

Did they definitively tie in the recent bomb threats with the gunman?

What a horrible tragedy at Virginia Tech. I'm sure Roanoke's hospitals are sharing in the healing of the injured, and most sadly, the City morgue is the scene of forensic chaos.

Just a dreadful situation!

Press from all over the World has descended on the area bringing an unwanted kind of attention.

May this never happen again -- anywhere.

My Mom worked for 20+ years at the medical examiner's office here in Roanoke. She retired a few years ago but she does not miss that job one bit. She was their unofficial spokesperson so any time there was any sort of death that made the news she was the initial contact person for the press. She had opinions about all of the local media people and quite a few of the national ones that she had to deal with first hand. She said that with the exception of a couple people at CBS in Washington all the network people were very arrogant and rude.

My opinion is that NBC should not have aired the killer's raison d'etre for his hideous actions -- at least, not at this time. It is a period of private and public mourning.

Not surprisingly, all the network and cable outlets picked it up.

There is going to be a huge Memorial Gathering today in Richmond's Monroe Park which the Governor will attend. I'm suppose there are and have been many vigils in Roanoke and New River areas.

I'm sure, Monk, many people feel as your mother does about press intrusion.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

From the July issue of Trains Magazine:

"Roanoke's Railwalk Honors David Goode.

"Visitors to Roanoke, Va. can learn the story behind this Norfolk & Western Railway headquarters city on the new 1/3 mile-long David R. and Susan S. Goode Railwalk, a linear park that follows Norfolk Southern tracks from the Historic City Market to the Virginia Museum of Transportation. Artifacts and story boards tell the city's history. Goode was Norfolk Southern chainman until 2006."

The railwalk is pretty neat. It is sort of like richmond's canal walk near the turning basin. First Friday events are on an adjacent parcel next to the Wachovia Tower. One end terminates at the new art museum, the other side leads toward the transportation museum.

Edited by mclawsdrive

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the railwalk is a nice addition. When I have had to go to the higher ed center I like to sit and eat my lunch on the benches along there. It is a nice tribute to our rail history. Also a good vantage point to watch the construction on the art museum.

• 5 weeks later...

If any of you Roanokers happen to be in Richmond Friday, August 3rd, be sure to stop in at SKYY RESTAURANT AND JAZZ PALACE, #4 West Broad Street and listen to Mclaw's new band, Secret Sound Machine.

SKYY is a new music venue in the up and coming gallery/restaurant/bar/residential district in downtown Richmond.

August 3rd is First Friday Artwalk night and is generally thronged with gallery-goers and party people.

Mclaw's SECRET SOUND MACHINE will probably go on before 9PM.

SKYY -- 804/343-7599.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...