Roanoke Off-Topic

rusthebuss

Recent study suggests that Roanoke is strongly lacking in bars and restaurants.

roanoke times

Out of 11 similarly sized MSAs, Roanoke ranked last in # and diversity of bars and restaurants, and second to last in high end retail. I was quite suprised by this. I had heard just a few years ago that Roanoke had one of the highest retail revenues per capita in the state, and I know there are at least 60 restaurants/bars within the small, walkable downtown area. In fact I had read a few years back that Roanoke had THE most restaurants p/c in the state. But then I thought, what about the rest of the metro outside the city limits. Other than a few clusters around the malls, bars and restaurants are very sparse outside of downtown. Botetourt, Franklin and Craig counties, and Vinton and Salem lack substantial retail. Craig has virtually none.

The article suggests that young professionals want " vibrant urban cores, where they can shop, sip coffee on a corner, dine and see a band at a bar all within walking distance of their affordable loft apartments or condominiums". I think most Roanoke natives and visitors to Roanoke would agree that it does essentially have all those elements. The live music scene is a little bit weak, and it will be a few years before downtown condos are commonplace, and there aren't any large retailers downtown, but there is a synergy that is palpable downtown. Compared with 10 years ago, there is much more activity downtown at night and on the weekends, and it appears that this positive trend will continue.

Regardless, I think outsiders perceptions of Roanoke's nightlife are usually far worse than even the dire situation reflected in the study. Many different friends I have brought from Northern VA were shocked at the size and activity of our downtown. They assumed there was nothing substantial west of the mountians. I think Roanoke is on the right track with the residential development downtown (especially if more moderately priced units start to come on-line). I think the biggest need downtown is a grocery store, (which would be especially helpful during the winter when the farmers market doesn't offer much selection of fresh produce). Perhaps if this study had been done 10 years ago, Roanoke would have fared even worse. It certainly wasn't better.

On a side note, Roanoke ranked high in air quality and hiking trails per capita. Roanoke should concentrate on attracting more events such as the Challenger World - US Challenge. roanoke times Highlighting Roanoke's biggest strength, its nature, will attract the kind of people who would like Roanoke the most, and that Roanoke would most like to attract.

Edited by mclawsdrive

You need more people living DT.

Couldn't agree more. People living downtown will be the engine that drives interest from retailers. Fortunately, we have gone from literally about 30 housing spaces in 2000 (that's based on memory from a downtown housing tour I took at that time) to nearly 200 by the end of the year when construction on things currently is completed. That is an over 600% increase in six years. Still tiny numbers, but downtown will reach a critical mass of becoming a viable sustainable neighborhood with a real need for ammenities like a grocery store and more shops before much longer if that rate of development continues. Those Richmond developers that said they liked our downtown so much need to stop looking and start building! :P I also agree that affordable housing downtown is essential. We need more places young professionals can afford, not just wealthy empty nesters.

Edited by bmedguy

There are two possibilities for affordable housing in Downtown.

1. - Old warehouses and garages, which are less expensive buildings and sometimes easier to remodel (less load bearing interior walls). The condos on Campbell across from the police station are supposed to be about 150,000 which is not too expensive, even in Roanoke. They are located in an old furniture warehouse. I think the streets along the railroad tracks and the west end of downtown have a lot of underutilized buildings that could be converted to residential use. Downtown commercial buildings will probably continue to be converted into more expensive residences because they are slightly more centrally located and have a more regal appearance.

2: There are a lot of vacant lots and crappy houses just east of 581 and in the west end between 5th and 10th- and gainsboro that are very close to downtown. While not in the CBD, they are a 5 min walk to the center of DT. These neighborhoods could be cheaply redeveloped, as has happened in much of Old Southwest and continues in 'bad' part of Old Southwest.

ps. the apartments in the old NS building aren't that expensive. Efficiencies start at $475, and 2 bedrooms for about $700. I've toured that building and there are some nice apartments in that place. Good views too.

Didn't know where to put this. The election is today. I certainly will be watching it closely. In recent months the city has decided to move past the Victory Stadium albatross by pushing forward on the allocation of funds to the construction of highschool football stadiums on their respective campuses and toward the update and renovation/new construction of a main library.

For this to continue forward and for the city to press on with other issues like the further development plans of downtown, how to aid problems in the schools etc., two of the three open seats need to go to like minded individuals. There is a slate of three candidates calling themselves the "for the city" independents that are campaigning to stay the course. They also endorse the idea of an amphitheater to be built in the area of the stadium (they must have read my posts! :D ). The other major candidates consist of two republicans and three democrats who are all for renovating/saving Victory Stadium. If they get two of the spots, council will likely attempt to take back the money given to the schools and the library. Fighting over the issue will likely drag out for another indefinite period of time and attention will continue to be robbed from issues that could help the city make faster progress. I think it is obvious who I voted for today. I have to say, I am not optomistic that my choices will come out on top. I don't think it is impossible, but it certainly is not a shoe in. Results should be it tonight after the polls close at 7pm.

The results are in. The For The City candidates swept all three council seats. First time any independants have been elected in 30 years I think I read. This was a very pleasant surprise for me. I was just hoping for two. This also confirms my observation further that it seems as though a cognitive shift toward accepting progress and change is taking place around here. Times they are a changin! :D