Roanoke Off-Topic

rusthebuss

Well, we're not going to make it to 3000 by this afternoon, but I'm confident that when I log on Tuesday morning, after a wonderful weekend in Roanoke and at Mt Rogers, we'll have reached the magic number. Only 24 more to go. I should have some pics to post on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hey, McLaw. Isn't Mt. Rogers the highest peak in Virginia? Tell us about it.

I think the numbers of visitors (viewers) is as interesting as number of posts. You guys have two threads that are in five figures -- Roanoke Development, viewed by 15,307; and Roanoke Stores and Retail which shows 14,790 visitors.

Monday, 9/3 -- Each of the above numbers has ticked up to 15,351 and 14,812 respectively. :)

Edited by burt

I think the numbers of visitors (viewers) is as interesting as number of posts. You guys have two threads that are in five figures -- Roanoke Development, viewed by 15,307; and Roanoke Stores and Retail which shows 14,790 visitors.

The number of posts as of now is 2980 -- need only 20 more before McLaw comes down from the mountain. :good:

I think one of the moderators told me that numbers don't tick up with every click. They are adjusted upward several times during the day.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

What's the deal with the Patrick Henry Hotel? Are the owners still going through with plans to convert the building into an assisted living facility?

Last I heard, the fire marshall was shutting the building down. I fail to see how an assisted living facility for seniors makes any sense for this building. I will list my concerns:

1: In a fire, the elevators shut down. Can you envision senior citizens, who are physically and/or mentally impaired evacuating from the 3rd floor, let alone the 10th floor.

2: Location. The building is in a busy urban area, where sounds such as sirens and honking will be heard throughout the day. There are no quiet green spaces to go sit, unless one pushes one's walker across a busy Jefferson Street to Elmwood Park. There are few places to park near the building, and it hardly seems handicap friendly.

3: Advantages? Why would a senior requiring living assistance want to live in this location? Would these people take advantage of downtown's amenities? Would they shop at downtown boutiques? Dine at the bustling restaurants? Barhop? I seriously doubt there would be significant venturing outside of the confines of the building, and I doubt many people requiring living assistance would want to live here.

Chalk this one up for sprawl, but I think these kinds of facilities belong on the suburban fringe, where there is room to foster the appropriate environment.

Don't get me wrong, I think downtowns are an ideal place for ACTIVE seniors. But for those who need to reside in an assisted living environment, downtown makes no sense.

Here's my proposal. Restaurant/Bar/Retail on the first floor. Lobby/ offices on the second floor. Offices/Hotel rooms 3rd-6th. Apartments - 7th-8th. Condos 9th-10th.

Lets pool some money together and buy this building from the bankrupt owners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I was in Roanoke this past weekend and I'm very impressed with the progress downtown has made since i was there a couple years ago. There are many rehabilitation projects in the works and the new art museum is attracting crowds to downtown. I'd venture to say weekend daytime activity is greater than both downtown Norfolk and Richmond. I won't go as far as to say the same for a business day.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Mad at BP? Next time, take the bus"

Mad at BP? Next time, take the bus

Re: "A shocking lack of outcry against BP," July 20 letter:

The oil companies are out there taking the deep drilling risks so letter writer Michael C. Moldenhauer can keep driving his inefficient sport utility vehicle.

I'm kind of offended that he'd drive 3,400 miles just for the heck of it and expect the outrage to be directed at BP. He could have taken the bus to Austin and discussed his views with the other passengers.

ELLEN BURCH

CHRISTIANSBURG

LOL! ! :rofl:

http://www.roanoke.c...tters/wb/254848

Edited by calwinston

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the greenway in Roanoke is too popular for some peoples taste!

But on weekends especially, the Roanoke River Greenway is getting crowded with many people exercising in different ways on a single narrow asphalt ribbon.For that reason, the Roanoke Valley Greenways Commission has a video about greenway etiquette on its Web site, greenways.org that you can see here below.

There's a large sign in Smith Park listing general rules. Oddly, the type is so tiny you can't read it from the path.

The commission also distributed business card-size "dos and don'ts" along with warning bells for cyclists at its inaugural Greenways Festival on June 12.

http://roanoke.com/columnists/casey/wb/255912

• 2 years later...

I regret to inform  you of the passing of longtime forum member and prolific poster Burt. He was are regular in the Richmond forum but also visited the other Virginia forums from time to time. He had a wealth of knowledge of Virginia history and was a valuable contributor to our community. He will be sorely missed. The members of the Richmond forum have made a thread if you wish to go and express your condolences. Rest in Peace Burt. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/115804-our-friend-burt/page-0

• 1 year later...