Roanoke Off-Topic

rusthebuss

roanoke timesI didn't really know where to put this. Apparently, Blacksburg thinks they, not Roanoke are the hub of SW Virginia. Interesting article. Maybe I'll see a TV news special about this topic on Blacksburg's NBC or CBS local news (roanoke), or read more about it in the (roanoke times) NEW RIVER edition. Or next time I fly into Blacksburg via the nearest commercial airport in Roanoke. I rest my case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is Salem sort of the red-headed step child of Roanoke? I seldom see mention of it here. We mention Petersburg in Richmond threads more often than you guys refer to Salem. :)

I sense more inclusion of New River Valley in your reports lately. That's a good move because Blacksburg is a drive engine to Roanoke's well being and vice versa, IMO.

But don't forget poor old Salem is between the two. ;)

There is one sizeable upcoming commercial development that I believe Weill mentioned in the 'what about Salem' thread, but that was many months ago. It was the location of some ball fields north of the GE plant.

Heres the link: St. John Place

Last I saw (Dec. 2006) they looked like they were just pushing dirt around, though 1 building was near completed. I dont see how they let them build on the flood plain, if it is a flood plain, that is.

Salem also hosts the NCAA Division 3 Title Game for college football, and other sports, and has a very succesful baseball franchise that all take place at the Salem Civic Center area (also know as the James E. Taliaferro Sports & Entertainment Complex.) The Civic Center hosts many more quality events than its counterpart (Roanoke Civic Center) and will host Sugarland, Harlem Globetrotters, George Jones, and as mclawsdrive mentioned, Alison Krauss all within the next couple months.

Heres the link: St. John Place

The Civic Center hosts many more quality events than its counterpart (Roanoke Civic Center)

Do you think its possible that many event managers prefer the Salem Civic center if they expect crowds below 6,000. Its probable that the Salem facility is cheaper to rent than Roanoke's, since it's smaller, and event organisers would prefer to pay less unless they expect more people than the Salem facility can handle.

When I was in high school, concerts advertised on the radio were much more common at the Roanoke Civic center (probably 3 to one compared with Salem CC.)

I might have to argue against the idea that there are more quality events at Salem Civic Center. The Performing Arts Theater at the Roanoke complex houses the Symphony Masterworks concerts, Broadway in Roanoke (Les Mis was great). I recentlt saw Micheal Buble and was interested in seein John Waite who is coming soon. My wife wants to see Celtic Women. I think there has been an uptick in quality of shows very recently though that is all a matter of opinion.

The Richmond Coliseum has an interesting and colorful web site. Is there one for the Roanoke complex? Norfolk, Hampton, Richmond and Roanoke all opened their arenas about the same time in the early 1970's and I visited all of them. Can't remember who the attraction was, but I saw a concert at the big, impressive Roanoke coliseum shortly after it opened. Have never been in the theatre. If anyone can, please post the web site.

Richmond's is: -- http://www.richmondcoliseum.net

Sorry Burt, I would have linked that for you yesterday, but for some reason I didn't see your post until just now. Looks like you found it on your own just fine though.

Yeah, McLaw. Found it on Google. :)

Aren't you proud of my accomplishments --learning to link AND use Google/ :rofl:

Come back to the Richmond page and read all about Texas de Brazil. But you'll need to save your pennies for this one.

Edited by burt

Showing my age but I remember back when the Roanoke Civic Center was a must stop for almost every touring band. We didn't get the mega stars for the most part, no Springsteens, Stones, Who, etc but AC/DC, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Heart, and all the other staples of what's called classic rock now stopped here every tour.

Slightly off topic but is anyone else totally disappointed in the design of the new exhibit hall?

Showing my age but I remember back when the Roanoke Civic Center was a must stop for almost every touring band. We didn't get the mega stars for the most part, no Springsteens, Stones, Who, etc but AC/DC, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Heart, and all the other staples of what's called classic rock now stopped here every tour.

Slightly off topic but is anyone else totally disappointed in the design of the new exhibit hall?

Is there a rendering of it you can post, Monk?