DT Greensboro Getting A New Hotel!

Hotlanta

I do think this office retail project/Mellow Mushroom will help Greene Street become the next South Elm Street. There are already a few nightclubs, bars and restaurants scattered here and there along Greene Street. The Carolina Theatre is on Greene Street. Downtown's entertainment district is going to have to expand from one block to two blocks because there is very little vacancy along Elm Street. Greene Street runs parallel with Elm Street one block west. Some of the buildings on Greene Street North of Elon University Law School could be demolished to make way for restaurants, and apartment with retail on the ground floor. That would be a great location for apartments with the law school being nearby.

here are a few nightclubs, restaurants and bars along Greene Street

Greene Street Club Girls Gone Wild came here several months back. the night club even includes a 3rd level rooftop terrace.

http://www.greenestreetclub.com/

hof_dec30th.gif

Shuka's Alley (bar)

20061030-101022-Shucka.jpg

Renaissance Jazz Cafe (Jazz, R&B & Blues night club/restaurant/lounge with 3 floors)Its first floor is a lounge, second floor a dance area with stage for the performers and the third floor a VIP lounge.

Rhinoceros Club (bar/lounge/night club)

http://www.rhinoclub.com/

Band%20and%20crowd.jpg

Quizno's

Jimmy's Corner Cafe'

Smithy's Midget Market (coffee house/cafe')

Bistro 40 (restaurant)

Mellow Mushroom Coming Soon!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from appearance and first hand impressions, downtowns are judged by their skylines rightfully or not. I agree skyscrapers dont create a vibrant downtown but they provide an urban back drop. I dont think Greensboro should stop building lowrises but I do think their needs to be a focus on highrise construction. It use to be that downtown towers were strictly office buildings and did nothing for street level activity. Now they are building mixed use towers that combine office, residential, retail and entertainment. Typically the retail or restaurants are on the first floor which contributes to street level activity much like Center Pointe in Greensboro. A large restaurant will occupy the first floor, office space the 2 or 3 floors and the remainng 12 floors will have condos.

I just now saw this pic..... It's a shame the company abandoned the plans. I think it would have fit very well on Greene St.

If this hotel is a go, it is possible that Greensboro could expect something similar to this, the recently completed RiverPlace Hampton Inn in downtown Greenville (photo courtesy of RestedTraveler):

230529899_20c2026b67_b.jpg

Archived