Hints of a new City Hall

Spartan

Bank of America is going strong. I bank there. They are looking for tenants for some additional space in the building.

I like richardson Park, but if they closed the Broad street curve, took Richardson Park and the small set of three buildings across from FBS, they could build a huge complex across from the church that would be flanked by Main St. Dean Street and Converse street. It would line up with the Denny's tower and be across from the Kennedy street garage.

Wouldn't it be great if the new Spartanburg City Hall included County Offices, Water and Sewer District offices, School District 7 Offices and possibly more or even space to lease to other tenants until the Gov't offices needed to expand. I think the Bank of America site with the 20 story Twin Denny's Tower that was never built would work great. Bank of America is taking up to valuable a site with a functionally obsolete building. Maybe they could do their own tower on the old Water and Sewer site.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.... Interesting idea. It may be somewhat abitious though. To many offices would require too large a building I think :)

Bank of America is definately wasting space. I bet that the plans call for a new, large building there at some point in the future.

Where is the old Water & Sewer site? I know where there current ones are...

• 2 years later...

There is an article about a potential new city hall in the GSA Business Journal. Its not posted in full on their website, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has a hard copy? I'm interested to know if there are more details in there. Here is a small excerpt from the website:

• 8 months later...

Some updates on the new city hall:

• $31 million

• 152,000 sq ft

• Move Public Safety to a separate facility

• $2.7 million to consolidate City and County fire services

So, the building wouldn't be much larger than today, but the fire and police services would be relocated elsewhere. It sounds like a good arrangement to me. The only thing that caught me off guard was the question as to whether a big box store would lower costs. Thats a reasonable question to ask, but I sincerely hope that the city stays downtown. Moving out to a suburban big box is a terrible idea. The County offices aren't even that far out and they are pretty bad, IMO.

So, since no action was taken, any thoughts on when or if we will ever see a new city hall?

HJ Article

Some updates on the new city hall:

• $31 million

• 152,000 sq ft

• Move Public Safety to a separate facility

• $2.7 million to consolidate City and County fire services

So, the building wouldn't be much larger than today, but the fire and police services would be relocated elsewhere. It sounds like a good arrangement to me. The only thing that caught me off guard was the question as to whether a big box store would lower costs. Thats a reasonable question to ask, but I sincerely hope that the city stays downtown. Moving out to a suburban big box is a terrible idea. The County offices aren't even that far out and they are pretty bad, IMO.

So, since no action was taken, any thoughts on when or if we will ever see a new city hall?

HJ Article

I assumed that any move to a big box would mean a move out of downtown, because I don't think there is one downtown... unless you count the Montgomery Building.

Doesn't the (yet-to-be-adopted) Master Plan included moving City Hall to the Broadwalk complex?

Archived