The New Orleans Accent

Mith242

:lol: Very interesting to hear. Anymore unique aspects you've manage to find out?

Here's are some pretty interesting one's.

"YEUHRM"

This is the way of saying "did you hear me" for most people in New Orleans. I say this as well, and it normally comes out as a quick "yeuhrme?" :D

"SOSSIDGE"

A way of saying "sausage" for many in New Orleans. This is one of the few NOLA terms that I do not use. I normally say "sawsidge", with heavy emphasis on "aw" I have been asked many times if I am from New York City after saying "sawsidge" :lol:

And since Rod did that pronounciation of "pecan" thread in the Southern USA forum awhile back, I'll include these. :D

Quoted from the site Rod provided...

PECAN - A nut indigenous to the South, and beloved in New Orleans as an ingredient in pies and pralines. Pronounced "pa-KAWN", not "PEE-can".

PRALINE - A sugary Creole candy, invented in New Orleans (not the same as the French culinary/confectionery term "praline" or "pralin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's are some pretty interesting one's.

"YEUHRM"

This is the way of saying "did you hear me" for most people in New Orleans. I say this as well, and it normally comes out as a quick "yeuhrme?" :D

"SOSSIDGE"

A way of saying "sausage" for many in New Orleans. This is one of the few NOLA terms that I do not use. I normally say "sawsidge", with heavy emphasis on "aw" I have been asked many times if I am from New York City after saying "sawsidge" :lol:

And since Rod did that pronounciation of "pecan" thread in the Southern USA forum awhile back, I'll include these. :D

Quoted from the site Rod provided...

PECAN - A nut indigenous to the South, and beloved in New Orleans as an ingredient in pies and pralines. Pronounced "pa-KAWN", not "PEE-can".

PRALINE - A sugary Creole candy, invented in New Orleans (not the same as the French culinary/confectionery term "praline" or "pralin

^From what I've heard around Arkansas(southern and central AR) pecan is said pretty much the same way in Arkansas as in New Orleans.

How do most people say prayline in Arkansas, Rod?

I usually hear pray-leen. I think I've heard that in both southern and northern Arkansas. In fact I don't think I've ever really heard it pronounced any other way in my experiances here in Arkansas.

^Well then I guess we found one major difference between south Louisiana and Arkansas pronunciations. Saying pray-leen rather then pra-line in New Orleans is criminal offense. :lol:

Yeah I sorta got that impression after seeing that on that website.

Another New Orleans term that isn't really said anywhere else is "Neutral Ground", which refers to the middle area between large roads. It is used rather than the term "median." A good example, is Canal Street or Saint Charles Avenue, where the road is seperated by neutral ground where the Streetcar tracks are located. The term can also be used to describe the center line in a two or four lane road, or any speration between the roads on the same system.

When I travel, I use the term "neutral ground" in other cities rather than "median" and people always just say "huh?" :lol:

Here is the definition of "Neutral Ground" from the gumbopages website that Rob provided. :D

NEUTRAL GROUND - The grassy or cement strip in the middle of the road. The terms "median" and/or "island" are NEVER used in New Orleans. Use of one of those foreign terms instead of "neutral ground" is a dead giveaway that you ain't from around here, or anywhere close. If you're lucky, you live on a street with a neutral ground big enough to play football on.

Interesting read. Its amazing how similar some of that is to the good ol' southern accent, and yet so very different. Some of it reminds me of my days in French class, where they tried to explain some of the Acadien sayings... like 'makin groceries' or 'make dodo.' I found it odd that the writer didn't explain dodo very well... it comes from the french 'dormir' (to sleep). "Metro, boulot, dodo" as they say.

Anyway, that was an interesting site. I always enjoy reading about other accents. And now I must try a po-boy as soon as I can :)

Interesting read. Its amazing how similar some of that is to the good ol' southern accent, and yet so very different.

Anyway, that was an interesting site. I always enjoy reading about other accents. And now I must try a po-boy as soon as I can :)

Yea it is amazing how parts of the New Orleans accent can be so similar or so different from the southern accent. It is also interesing to see that when you look at some words closely, they are mixes of old acadian sayings and southern sayings. There really is some great history to the N.O. accent.

And when you do get the chance to get a real New Orleans po-boy, you'll really enjoy it! :D

Yeah I would imagine the French influenced the language down there. Was New Orleans the only major city they had outside of Quebec here in North America? I was also wondering if anyone knew of any other city in the south with it's own unique accent outside of New Orleans.

Yeah I would imagine the French influenced the language down there. Was New Orleans the only major city they had outside of Quebec here in North America?

If you are talking about French cities it was one of the few in North America. Mobile and Baton Rouge were also pretty influenced by the French at that time as well.

Very interesting thread, I've greatly enjoyed reading it mainly b/c I love the N.O. accent and usually can recongize it right off the bat. My great aunt was from N.O. and I have fond childhood memories of her "odd" accent. And yes it does sound a little like a cross between the Deep South and a NYC accent.

I was born and raised in L.A, no not that one, Lower Alabama! :D We always say pecan like you guys in N.O. I was always taught that a "pee-can" is something you urinate in. :lol: However, we did say "pray-line."

Just curious, how do you pronounce the name of your city? I've always said, "NewAwlins" almost like it's one word and never the offensive to my ears...New Oarleeeeeeeeens, like they often do on the national media. Which is correct by local standards or is there another proper way locals say it?

P.S. Are Mother's on Canal just up from Harrah's still open? And what about Central Grocery in the qtr?

Long live New Orleans!

Just curious, how do you pronounce the name of your city? I've always said, "NewAwlins" almost like it's one word and never the offensive to my ears...New Oarleeeeeeeeens, like they often do on the national media. Which is correct by local standards or is there another proper way locals say it?

I say it New-Awlins like its one word as well. Thats just how I heard it as a young kid.

For locals, "New Orleens" is just annoying. This is one thing that the national media always gets wrong.

For everyone in New Orleans, it is "New Orlens".

Here is a quote from the gumbopages site Rod provided.

NEW ORLEENS - The way silly tourists pronounce "New Orleans". Natives do not do this. Exception -- song lyrics, as in "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleaans", for exmple, and when omitting the "New", as in "Orleans Parish", which is always pronounced <or-LEENS>. Confusing, isn't it?
P.S. Are Mother's on Canal just up from Harrah's still open? And what about Central Grocery in the qtr?

Long live New Orleans!

I was in New Orleans today and could've found this out for you. Recently I havent really been able to walk around the city, I've just been trying to get out of the traffic. Though I'll find out tommorow and have an answer for you tommorow afternoon. :)

Long live New Orleans!

Yes, both Mother's and Central Grocery are open. Was just down there this morning. Remember, though... Mother's is on Poydras. Wouldn't want you searching the wrong street.

Yeah I would imagine the French influenced the language down there. Was New Orleans the only major city they had outside of Quebec here in North America? I was also wondering if anyone knew of any other city in the south with it's own unique accent outside of New Orleans.

In addition to New Orleans, Mobile and Baton Rouge and Montreal, Qu

Archived