The top 10 states for protecting privacy

turlough

Many states are way ahead of Uncle Sam, putting the power to say yes or no back in your hands and forcing businesses to guard your personal information.

By Liz Pulliam Weston

The federal government is doing a pretty half-hearted job of protecting your privacy. Some states, though, are picking up the slack.

Alarmed by companies that sell personal data, aid identity theft and snoop into personal lives, these states have passed laws or beefed up regulations to safeguard their citizens.

California, in particular, has some of the toughest laws in the nation -- a concern for its residents that boosted it to the top of Privacy Journal

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised to see Rhode Island mentioned. This state is so corrupt, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the governor himself was selling off my personal information.

It wasn't too long ago that Massachusetts stopped using SS numbers for drivers license numbers. I think it took a directive from the feds to make them stop.

It wasn't too long ago that Massachusetts stopped using SS numbers for drivers license numbers. I think it took a directive from the feds to make them stop.

They used social security numbers for driver's license numbers? That wouldn't be good if you lost accidentally lost your license or something.

And stores will often put your license number on checks as a form of ID, so now the clerk has your SS number, brilliant :rolleyes: Anytime you get carded you would be handing over your SS number. My first license had my SS number on it, when I renewed it, they switched over to random numbers. But mine starts with an 'S' which looked like a '5' on the old licenses, so when people were using it for ID verification (banks, etc.) they were constantly telling me I didn't exist.

Archived