Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRGridGirl

Michigan Weather

What do you all think of this weather? I know a lot of people don't mind because they don't have to turn their heat on as high, hate snow, or like to wear next-to-nothing when they go out; but really, where is the snow? Not only is there no snow, but there is little-to-no sun.

Does this late start mean a longer winter? I was already for the snow, I don't like to let weather deter me from the outside, but no snow in January??? Has anyone gone skiing?

A large part of our state's economy is recreation & winter is full of activities.

Everyone might be liking the lack of snow right now, but I'm not one of them. I loove the snow, and I know its hurting business not having any

Do any of the major ski resorts have snow right now or has it been too warm? I know they love it when it snows early like it did this year. Actually as I understand things most of the resorts would rather make thier own snow; they only need snow to keep everyone downstate thinking about going skiing.

I know some people who were up at Crystal Mountain around the holidays and they had snow there. But you're right, if there is no snow down here, people think there is no snow up there:

http://www.mysnowreport.com/state_report.php?st=MI

edit: A bunch of ski resort webcams

Obviously snowmobiling is another story. Can't make snow for that. Although it looks like they have quite a bit of snow away from the ski area on the webcam.

Snow sports may not be doing so well this winter, but I just drove by Maplehill Golf Course and was amazed at how full the parking lot was. I could see a lot of people playing out on the course.

Snow sports may not be doing so well this winter, but I just drove by Maplehill Golf Course and was amazed at how full the parking lot was. I could see a lot of playing out on the course.

The golf course must have been mud, theres no way anyone was golfing with any real success (well then again, who actually has success golfing? lol)

At least it's probably easy to find your ball right now. And I'd love to be able to skip across those water hazards I'm always attracted to :P

they don't mention the offset of the warmer winter weather. Local retail and service sectors, do better in favorable weather, so while there may be some loss from people not traveling to snowmobile persay, alot of that is made up by those same people staying close to home, and going out to eat or seeing a movie close to home. I work in the restaurant Industry, and I can tell you that when the weather is warmer, it has a very positive impact on our sales volume, right now the industry is pretty standard doing better than last year, Sales are up accross the board. Due to the fact that people aren't bothered by the subzero temperatures, and thirt thousand feet of snow. They venture out, money that would have been spent, still gets spent, and the economic cycle continues.

Lack of snow = bad business for Cannonsburg and Pando but saves money for the city and surrounding muncipalities because they don't have to fill up the ol' plows with gasoline and pay for the extra man hours to plow and salt. As far as businesses that aren't snow related I can't think of any reason why it would hurt them.

We got over half a year's worth of snowfall from the week before Thanksgiving up until a few days before Christmas. I would guesstimate that we are due for one more wallop of heavy snow which will last a couple weeks before we are out of the woods. As much as I like the iceless roads, I really wish we could get that final punch already and get it overwith. An early spring would not hurt my feelings.

You know you're going to have a great day when:

it's icy outside & you leave for work, walk out your front door, & next thing you know you fall down a small flight of stairs. You lie there & think, do I crawl back inside or do I buck up & go to work?

it's icy outside & you leave for work, walk out your front door, & next thing you know you fall down a small flight of stairs. You lie there & think, do I crawl back inside or do I buck up & go to work?

I ALMOST did the same exact thing.. I thought it was just raining.. I was wrong, thankfully I caught myself, otherwise I would have just gone back to bed.

I didn't fall but I hit two slick spots on my way out the door. Then my car was covered in a thin layer of ice.

I can't seem to get cheery this morning.

I didn't fall but I hit two slick spots on my way out the door. Then my car was covered in a thin layer of ice.

I can't seem to get cheery this morning.

Definitely icy this morning; I had to throw some warm water over my door to melt the ice so I could get in. There were plenty of salt trucks out on the roads too... I think work has been pretty slow the last several weeks for them. :P